Gransnet forums

Travel

Unmarried couple holidaying in Qatar

(28 Posts)
Suelondon Tue 07-Mar-23 08:36:59

Has anyone had this crop up in their family? My son and his partner are not married and have a 3 year old son. They would like to take a holiday in Qatar but are concerned re staying in same hotel etc. Any advice would be helpful.

NotSpaghetti Tue 07-Mar-23 16:08:58

Maybe Sue will come back later M0nica..

M0nica Tue 07-Mar-23 16:00:54

willow Do not worry about lost jobs if no one went to Qatar. It is not the Qataris working in the hotels etc, it is the many foreign and migrant labour they bring in that do the work - and they are treated abominably, their human rights violated on an almost daily basis. They would be safer and happier staying at home, despite the poverty of the countries of their origin.

Its occurring to me, rather belatedly , especially as we have heard no further from the OP, that the problem set, may be a set-up. Although, I would say, that if it is, our responses have all been so reasonable that they must be quite a disappointment.

pascal30 Tue 07-Mar-23 14:15:10

I wouldn't go if I was paid... dreadful human rights record

Theexwife Tue 07-Mar-23 13:47:41

If you know there might be a problem then why go?

I absolutely do not agree with the laws in Qatar, however, they are the laws and if you do not want to abide by them then don't go.

HettyBetty Tue 07-Mar-23 13:46:54

I can't imagine wanting to support that regime in any way whatsoever, and would think very dimly of anyone who did.

V3ra Tue 07-Mar-23 13:25:48

Suelondon what's attracted them to want to go to Qatar in the first place? Especially as they already have concerns?

Dickens Tue 07-Mar-23 13:14:07

NotSpaghetti

Maybe that's just that chain though Dickens - I read elsewhere that Hilton is considered "safe"

You could be right. I have no idea. Just going by what I've read on the 'net.

NotSpaghetti Tue 07-Mar-23 13:12:18

... and no, I would not visit.

NotSpaghetti Tue 07-Mar-23 12:57:05

Maybe that's just that chain though Dickens - I read elsewhere that Hilton is considered "safe"

Fleur20 Tue 07-Mar-23 12:52:13

Would never give that regime a penny of my money.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 07-Mar-23 12:46:30

I have no problem with unmarried couples, but I do have a problem with anyone having so little regard for good manners that they would go to a country that has a different view about this (or expect to stay with a great-aunt who objectd to unmarried couples, for that matter.)

I would like to see a world where unmarried couples are just as welcome as married one, those married to a partner of their own sex just as welcome as those married to a partner of the opposite sex, women as welcome as men, and everyone of any religion or non equally welcome.

But this is not going to come about in my lifetime - we seem actually to be regressing, not going forward on the equality front.

However, flaunting our views defiantly in others' faces in their own homes or countries, will only make prejudices worse, not better.

Fleurpepper Tue 07-Mar-23 12:41:06

Woudn't go, Dubai neither.

Call it virtue signalling if you wish.

mummytummy Tue 07-Mar-23 12:40:50

But personally I wouldn’t go to either 🫣

mummytummy Tue 07-Mar-23 12:37:17

Taken from Gov.uk website:
Relationships outside of marriage
Any intimacy in public between men and women (including between teenagers) can lead to arrest.

Living together whilst unmarried is prohibited in Qatar, and sex outside of marriage, regardless of whether this is same sex couples or opposite sex couples, is illegal. This can lead to arrest and a potential court case where the judgement can include a fine, a custodial sentence and deportation once the sentence is complete. This is especially so where the behaviour has caused offence. See Local laws and customs page.

Due to the laws on sex outside marriage, if you become pregnant outside marriage, both you and your partner could face imprisonment and/or deportation. Doctors will ask for proof of marriage during ante-natal checks. An unmarried woman who gives birth in Qatar may also encounter problems when registering the birth of the child in Qatar, and could be arrested, imprisoned or deported. To get a birth certificate from the Qatari authorities, you must provide a marriage certificate and the authorities may compare the date of the marriage against the estimated date of conception.

There are also very strict rules regarding alcohol, dress code etc.,

Why not look at Dubai instead?

Dickens Tue 07-Mar-23 12:32:04

NotSpaghetti

I have just googled this and discovered that some hotels must ask for marriage certificate:
Eg, the Soverign Hotel chain

www.sovereign-hotelqatar.com/important-notice-if-visiting-qatar.html#:~:text=Another%20important%20point%20to%20mention,if%20you%20cannot%20present%20it.

If they are determined to go (!) I would suggest they check out the actual hotel first.

Well from that link - the position is fairly clear!

Dickens Tue 07-Mar-23 12:29:51

I would work on the basis that Islamic law in Qatar insists that is is haram for unmarried couples to sleep together. In hotels or anywhere else.

In 4 or 5 star hotels, it might go 'unnoticed' and no questions asked, but it is rumoured that there are officers from the CID (Criminal Investigations Department) who lurk within these hotels to check up on this very issue. And some hotels DO ask for a marriage certificate.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

NotSpaghetti Tue 07-Mar-23 11:46:25

I have just googled this and discovered that some hotels must ask for marriage certificate:
Eg, the Soverign Hotel chain

www.sovereign-hotelqatar.com/important-notice-if-visiting-qatar.html#:~:text=Another%20important%20point%20to%20mention,if%20you%20cannot%20present%20it.

If they are determined to go (!) I would suggest they check out the actual hotel first.

Wyllow3 Tue 07-Mar-23 09:47:46

Much as I feel sorry for the people that need the jobs, it would be a no-go country for me after recent shenanigans. Its just doing our little bit in holiday choices.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 07-Mar-23 09:40:13

But they wouldn’t spend all their time in the hotel would they? No public displays of affection. And who’s to say that a hotel employee wouldn’t tip off the police? Why risk it? Or perhaps get married!

Sparklefizz Tue 07-Mar-23 09:36:23

There's not that much to see in Qatar. My granddaughter has been living there and teaching in one of the British schools for about 5 years, and my daughter goes out to visit.

Suelondon Tue 07-Mar-23 09:05:53

I wouldn't go there either, but its not me going! Just concerned for them.

NannyJan53 Tue 07-Mar-23 08:58:04

I just wouldn't go to that kind of Country. Problem solved.

Dickens Tue 07-Mar-23 08:56:26

I think in the larger, international hotels, it wouldn't be a problem. But in a smaller domestic hotel, it might be.

I would contact 'GOV.UK' for travel advice...

www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/qatar/local-laws-and-customs

Hetty58 Tue 07-Mar-23 08:53:35

Why support/spend money in that country anyway. Go somewhere nice instead?

MerylStreep Tue 07-Mar-23 08:49:33

It all depends on what hotel you stay at. The higher the price, the less questions asked.
Your son should read up on line. Lots of info there.