Gransnet forums

Travel

Passport Office Strike

(10 Posts)
Blossoming Fri 17-Mar-23 12:17:29

Anybody planning on traveling abroad will need to be sure to apply for a passport in plenty of time.

Passport delay warning as five-week strike called

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64981979

GrannyGravy13 Fri 17-Mar-23 12:28:50

Not sure it will make much difference to be honest, the service and waiting times have been deplorable of late.

Shelflife Fri 17-Mar-23 13:07:20

I very recently renewed my passport online. It was a very simple procedure, no messing about having a photo verified by a neighbour. A friend advised me to go to Timpsons ( shoe repair people) to have my photo taken. The chap then tested it immediately to ensure it met the passport standards - so I was confident it would not be rejected! I received 4 paper photos and on online photo. I received regular notification from the passport office informing me of progress. It was a fist class operation! My passport arrived very quickly too. If using Timpsons it is best to check online first as not all Timpsons have the facility to do it.

ixion Fri 17-Mar-23 13:14:28

Similar excellent service at Max Spielmann at our local Tesco Extra.
Shame about the ghastly photo

Shelflife Fri 17-Mar-23 13:23:39

My only disappointment was the photo , I look dreadful!! 😂

J52 Fri 17-Mar-23 14:31:07

We recently renewed our passports on line. They took 4 working days. We did pay extra to have then couriered back and sent the old ones by next day delivery.
We did have a long time left on the old ones, but with two holidays coming up we didn’t want to risk any delays, as returning from one country requires 10 months left on the passports. I’m so glad we did it.
However, I do feel very sorry for people who might lose their holidays because of the delays. Apparently under normal conditions they deal with 250,000 applications a week!

Urmstongran Fri 17-Mar-23 14:36:02

My late mum used to say “if you look like your passport photo you’re too ill to travel”.

Urmstongran Fri 17-Mar-23 14:46:20

Is it a 5 week strike or are they striking over 5 weeks - as in a day here and there?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 17-Mar-23 15:34:04

Urmstongran

Is it a 5 week strike or are they striking over 5 weeks - as in a day here and there?

They are striking 6 days a week for 5 consecutive weeks.

Sago Fri 17-Mar-23 16:53:02

I’m so lucky to have an Irish passport, I once even received a phone call from the passport office asking when my holiday was as there may be a slight delay.