Gransnet forums

Travel

Transatlantic cruises, has anyone done one?

(9 Posts)
Allsorts Wed 12-Apr-23 08:54:03

I was considering a Transatlantic Cruise, has anyone done one and if so how did you enjoy it, I know there is plenty to do on board, but does not calling in at ports matter. Any tips and observations gratefully received.

NotSpaghetti Wed 12-Apr-23 09:02:36

I have been looking at "repositioning cruises" for years - I haven't done one but it's only a few days and the idea of swimming, relaxing and reading is enough for me!

Having cruised only once before I don't think "a day here and a day there" is really the attraction for me. I love the idea of no jet lag, getting there (or back) refreshed and relaxed would be the joy of it.

I'd love to hear how you get on!

Aveline Wed 12-Apr-23 09:15:34

These cruises are usually spring and autumn. I'd be very wary of potentially rough seas. There's a reason that they're usually a bit cheaper! Cruise ships are flatter bottomed than the old ocean liners so more prone to rocking and rolling despite stabilisers etc. Whatever you decide please come back and let us know how you got on.

Sparklefizz Wed 12-Apr-23 09:17:17

I haven't done one myself but my cousin and his family did Southampton to New York and back. Bear in mind that the Atlantic is - or can be - a very rough sea. They had 3 days of terrible seasickness and had to have injections to tackle it, so were stuck in their cabin all that time. His wife said never again.

Kate54 Wed 12-Apr-23 09:27:45

Just to clarify - do you mean a Transatlantic crossing, a fabulous way to travel to New York on Cunard’s beautiful QM2 (a liner, not a cruise ship - different ) or a cruise that goes on to, typically, New England and Canada?
You mention the lack of stops so I’m assuming you mean the TA crossing which is available around half a dozen times a year.
It’s not everyone’s cup of tea but I love it - no jet lag, masses to do, great food, unlimited luggage allowed. On a crossing, as there’s not much to see out there, you can obtain a relatively inexpensive stateroom (cabin) known as an ‘interior’ I.e. no portholes or balcony but you’re just using it to sleep in.
If you want a two-week holiday in the US when you arrive, you can pick up the QM 2 to return. The whole thing in that case, takes a month.
Alternatively, Cunard offer a very reasonable flight back after a few days in New York.
The people at Cruise.co.uk are very knowledgeable and helpful.
Go for it!

Aldom Wed 12-Apr-23 09:35:55

Friends of mine did the TA cruise on the QM2. First voyage after the refurbishment. They had a wonderful time. The return journey was by 'plane from New York.

Visgir1 Wed 12-Apr-23 09:55:30

My Late parents did it a few times on QE2 and QM from NYC absolutely loved it.
Give it a go.

Kate54 Wed 12-Apr-23 10:02:50

The QM2 is the only ‘proper’ liner left and is built in a different way from ‘cruise’ ships and is therefore better at handling the Atlantic. I’ve done the crossing four times, Sep/Oct, and suffered sea sickness just once, on the first crossing we did. After a day ‘out of it’ thanks to an over-the-counter seasickness tablet plus wearing those wrist band things, I was fine.
Worth it anyway as no flying involved!

jeanie99 Tue 20-Jun-23 23:09:44

We did the QM2 to New York as part of a longer trip to Australia.
If I remember it was 6 sea days, there is plenty to do onboard and it was a great ship. The food was fabulous, Oh and the afternoon tea with the little sandwiches and cakes were fab.
It was the first time we had cruised on any ship and hubby borrowed a jacket because there are dress up nights,
We just did the one way, stayed in New York for a few days and off then on a train stopping at various town on the way to LA.