Gransnet forums

Travel

Has anyone been to the Galápagos Islands?

(13 Posts)
maddyone Fri 02-Jun-23 17:40:59

We’ve just booked this afternoon for next year because it will be our Golden Wedding Anniversary. Fly to Quito, two nights in a hotel there and then fly on to the Galápagos Islands for a seven night cruise. Small ship, (100 guests) daily expeditions, everything inclusive. I’m so looking forward to this, even though it’s fifteen months away. We don’t normally book anything like that in advance, but the ship is small.
Has anyone else been to the Galápagos Islands? I’d love to hear your experiences if you have.

SueDonim Fri 02-Jun-23 19:25:49

Not me but my nephew and his new wife honeymooned there, some 20 years ago. I don’t think it was a cruise but they had a wonderful time. I hope you do, too!

Spring20 Fri 02-Jun-23 19:44:55

For our 60th birthdays - absolutely fabulous and the best holiday we have ever had. So much wonderful wildlife close up, all totally unspoilt. You will love it!

garnet25 Fri 02-Jun-23 21:40:53

We went in 2009, it was absolutely amazing. We went on a seven night trip on a sailing ship with only 12 other passengers.
The early morning and evening trips to the islands were superb, we were shown round by the Naturalist from our boat who was extremely knowledgeable. I would definitely recommend the Galapagos to all nature lovers.

ginny Fri 02-Jun-23 22:56:20

We went as part of a tour. 4 years ago.
Wonderful experience. Enjoy !

maddyone Fri 02-Jun-23 23:37:19

Oh thank you all for your responses. It’s a long time away obviously, but I don’t know anyone personally who has done this trip. It’s so good to hear all positive experiences. I think the animals will be amazing. We’ll get a tour of Quito on the day we’re there, and then on to the ship. We only considered Celebrity and Silversea but I know there are some other companies that operate there. There were options of a small ship, I think it’s a catamaran that takes 16 passengers, that’s presumably something like you were on garnet, then a bigger cruiser that takes 48, and then the larger cruiser that takes 100 passengers. It’s not like a regular cruise ship, it’s much smaller, but has all the facilities needed. I’m not keen on small boats and will be much more relaxed on the larger ship. There are smaller boats called Zodiacs on board that take you ashore so I’ll have to be brave and get in them. I’m sure I’ll get used to them.

maddyone Fri 02-Jun-23 23:38:28

Was your’s a land tour ginny? Then presumably moving to different islands each day or couple of days?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 03-Jun-23 04:20:55

Son is going in the autumn. Combining it with Machu Picchu.

grandMattie Sat 03-Jun-23 05:50:19

No, but I’m SOOOO envious!
I hope you have a wonderful time.

ginny Sat 03-Jun-23 10:23:54

We toured Peru first and then flew to the islands for 4 days.
Our boat was anchored and we were taken out each day. First time in the little boat was a bit scary but soon got used to it.
We did some snorkelling as well.

maddyone Sat 03-Jun-23 11:17:09

Thank you for replies. We’re hoping to do some snorkelling too ginny. I’m only up for shallow water snorkelling but DH wants to do deep sea snorkelling too. I’m not very brave.
Whitewave there’s a bolt on to our cruise visiting Machu Picchu which sounded very appealing but DH is worried about my asthma. He’s already worried about the time we’ll be in Quito because of the altitude, but I’ll just get on with it. We spoke to the future cruise office about the Galápagos whilst on a recent short (4 night) cruise last week, and he told us that at this very moment they’re refunding for the Machu Picchu bolt on as there is some political unrest there just now, but they’re still taking bookings for that bit because mostly it’s fine, it just bubbles. I’m sure your son can run faster than me Whitewave grin
I also have some digestive troubles that I have to manage and so we decided that the ten night trip would be enough for us for me. I was very drawn to the Machu Picchu though.

biglouis Sat 03-Jun-23 11:28:48

Im so envious! This is one place on my bucket list whch I never visited and now I am too mobility impaired to travel. I have an absolute mania about reptiles and would love to have seen the giant tortoises, turtles and iguanas. A cruise sounds wonderful. Have the best time.

jeanie99 Tue 20-Jun-23 22:40:34

Yes, wonderful experience.
If you are going on the daily walking trips from the boat you will need good walking shoes, something comfortable. We also did snorkeling with sealions, it was a great experience. If you have your own gear take it with you.
We stayed in the Old Town in Quito, the police had guns it was a little surprising seeing this. Watch out for the pickpockets, wear your back pack on your front. I did have a top stolen from on my arm, they were so quick doing this.
You will have a lovely time but as always be cautious.