I recently completed a very scholarly yet imminently readable book on Vampires of all things. Obviously I found it fascinating and got me to thinking about a theme-based vacation in Europe.
With all that is going on in Eastern Europe, I'm not sure I would want to trek to Transylvania, so Bram Stoker's sites are probably best postponed.
But have any of you put together a vacation based on a novel. How did you go about it?
We've done holidays based on fav TV programmes and film locations. Dad's Army, around Norfolk, Midsommers Murders, many London locations based on Ealing films although many locations no longer exist and, The Sound of Music. There is a tour bus as many locations are outside of Salzberg. To our shame, people were struggling for seats - looked across at the Mozart tour bus, just 3 people on it!
I went to Northern Cyprus after reading “The Sunrise” and Crete after reading “The Island” - both by Victoria Hyslop. Best be careful in my reading choices!
I recently traveled from US to England and Scotland, tracing the stops my dad made during WWII. Before getting shipped to the beaches of France, he was stationed in Bath then to Scotland . I had to see his landing place. Tearful beautiful journey.
Travel Editions do theme based breaks. They cover varied themes. DH and I went on a short break to Morse's Oxford. Really enjoyed. Taken to Morse's favourite pub and lots of other familiar places. And a talk on the filming. They do holidays abroad too. Unfortunately they are not cheap.
They were filming a new version of The Leopard when we were in Palermo last week! In this case we'll have seen the filming locations before actually seeing the film. I plan to read the book now.
Not quite as exotic - and a series rather than a novel, but I did Hebden Bridge and looked at every street/house/shop from Happy Valley - it was delightful. I'd always wanted to visit there anyway,so it gave me a good excuse!
What about Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa's "The Leopard"? I think that might be interesting.
Lampedusa is small, interesting and cross-cultural having Eastern and western heritage, also strongly linked with Malta, Spain and Greece.
Aside from the actual story you may like to look at the filming locations of the adaptation of the novel in the 1963 film. I think I might like to do this myself actually
grNadpa It’s as safe to go to Romania as anywhere else. I’ve been the Halloween events in Transylvania 5 times. We were able to drive there as we lived in Bulgaria. The weather at the end of October is still lovely and it’s stunningly beautiful.
I have just noticed that I mentioned places in the UK and the US although the OP was asking about Europe. Goethe's Italian trip is a wonderful tour guide through Italy. There is a lovely film made just after the Berlin Wall came down about an East German couple who set off to recreate it in their tiny Trabant with their teenage daughter. Much of the humour is based on their dialect and misconstruing of all things Western but it is a heart-warming story. Probably not available in English.
To go back to RL Stevenson, there would be the "Travels with a donkey in the Cévennes " which is a wonderful read and the places along the way are no doubt still all there. For something more urban, many detectives are based in lovely cities like Montalbano mentioned above. Brunetti in Venice, Rebus in Edinburgh.
Three Men in a Boat would be fun to reproduce, if you fancy rowing.
We did the Jack the Ripper tour, two days after the London bombings.It was so eerie, because the streets were deserted. We had flown in from Paris, en route to Glasgow. All I wanted to do was get home.
Not a tour but on both my visits to Damascus I walked right down the modern equivalent of "Straight Street" which is mentioned in the bible. One half is a regular market while the other end is tourist shops and restaurants. Of course I have not been back to Syria since the war began.
I planned a few stops on a John Steinbeck theme during a road trip in California. Not exactly a novel, but the author and his oeuvre. It included Salinas and Monterey. With a little research, you can find museums and sites to visit. On an earlier trip in another part of the State, we visited a Robert Louis Stevenson museum. The staff were lovely and we had a long chat. It helps to re-read the books before going, of course.
I would like to do the Jane Austen tour of Bath next time I'm in the area.
You can do a London tour of "Jack the Ripper" haunts.
Alternately you could do a trip to Hampton Count by boat and see some of the places which might have been there in Tudor times. Hampton Court is a wonderful day out.
Planning a holiday to Sicily, we decided to visit various places from Inspector Montalbano books and TV series. Although names of towns were changed, it was easy enough to find some of the main locations. It's obviously a popular enough activity as there are websites which list filming locations. Nice area for a holiday anyway!
I am so envious, Farmor. 💚💚💚💚💚 That was on our bucket list!
Planning a holiday to Sicily, we decided to visit various places from Inspector Montalbano books and TV series. Although names of towns were changed, it was easy enough to find some of the main locations. It's obviously a popular enough activity as there are websites which list filming locations. Nice area for a holiday anyway!