Gransnet forums

Travel

Overnight stop between London and Alnmouth

(17 Posts)
BellaT2 Fri 11-Aug-23 06:21:00

We’re driving from London to Alnmouth in Northumberland in a couple of weeks and would like to break the journey half way. We’ve previously stopped in York, but would like somewhere different. Can anyone suggest somewhere pleasant to spend an afternoon and evening, not too far off the M1?
Thank you.

vegansrock Fri 11-Aug-23 06:46:27

Ripon?

YorkLady Fri 11-Aug-23 07:04:45

Harrogate or Knaresborough?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Aug-23 07:11:00

Yes we did the same York on the way up and Harrogate on the way back. Both very enjoyable.

Sago Fri 11-Aug-23 08:22:52

I would also suggest Ripon, it’s easy to get in and out, plenty to see and do.
Not as busy as York or Harrogate but a delightful City.

M0nica Fri 11-Aug-23 09:10:09

Newark, Retford, Weatherby, Harewood House.

Septimia Fri 11-Aug-23 09:24:44

Most of the suggestions are for places close to the A1/A1M - which I consider a much better route than the M1 (it isn't a smart motorway for a start). Why not consider trying it? Just beware the current roadworks on the Wentbridge viaduct (I think that's what it's called). Loads of interesting towns and villages along the way and that includes all the ones suggested.

Musicgirl Fri 11-Aug-23 09:28:07

Stamford? Harrogate?

M0nica Fri 11-Aug-23 10:12:44

We travel north mainly on the A1, hence my suggestions.

Oldbat1 Fri 11-Aug-23 13:38:49

We travel always on the A1/A1(M) from Northumberland to London. The A1 has been improved over the years and no longer has loads of roundabouts to contend with. I think the Black Cat roundabout plus a couple of others is all. Stamford is a very lovely Town with beautiful buildings. We dont tend to overnight on our trips south. Alnmouth is a lovely coastal village with great walking. The train stops here and the buses are regular. You will certainly enjoy the area.

Georgesgran Fri 11-Aug-23 15:27:14

I’d definitely use the A1(M) too - on paper it’s an hour quicker. I’d also stay overnight a bit further South than York, if you want to break the journey equally. It’s only 112 miles from York up to Alnmouth and only the final few miles are off main roads.

Calipso Fri 11-Aug-23 15:48:23

Stamford is lovely.

Floradora9 Fri 11-Aug-23 16:42:04

Thirsk

mumofmadboys Fri 11-Aug-23 18:57:53

another vote for Thirsk

BellaT2 Sat 12-Aug-23 08:16:25

Thank you for all of your suggestions - I’m looking at them now and they all look lovely. We broke our trip at York last year because we were driving up to Scotland, so it was a kind of half-way mark. Thanks also for the information about the A1M. I’ve been trying to persuade Mr Bella that’s the way to go, so your comments will hopefully convince him. We’re splitting the journey, and he gets to choose the route because he has to do all the driving at the moment - I’m out of commission with health stuff. I’ll let you know how it goes!

M0nica Sat 12-Aug-23 12:24:15

Ah, yes, we have a rule in our family: whoever is driving chooses the route.

dragonfly46 Sat 12-Aug-23 12:30:29

What about Saltaire? It is an old mill that has been converted along a canal. There is plenty of history there and the largest David Hockney exhibition in the world. It is situated adjacent to Bradford and there is a very nice reasonable hotel in the area. Not sure if it is still there but we found a lovely restaurant on the canal.