Gransnet forums

Travel

Canaries - recommendations

(76 Posts)
PreGran Sun 13-Aug-23 22:58:50

Hi,
We are thinking of going to either Tenerife, Lanzarote or Fuerteventura early in December.
We'll be taking my dad who is in his 80s.
We'd like to be coastal. We'd like somewhere with nice restaurants, nice walks, shops but not busy nightlife.
We'd like decent weather - warmish, dry and not too windy.
We have no idea which island to choose as we have no experince of any.

Which island and resort do you think would suit us?
Thank you

SunnySusie Tue 15-Aug-23 19:38:21

We have been to La Palma many times, Lanzarote three times and Gran Canaria once. We love La Palma but its not as warm in the winter months and you cant always get a direct flight. We booked with TUI last year just for flights and then they withdrew all their direct flights in October and we cancelled. We like Lanzarote and usually stay inland near Tias in self-catering. You need a hire car to do this as its not very large, but its also not very touristy. We swam in an unheated pool in January in Tias (temperature like the North Sea in August!). Last January we stayed in San Agustin in the far south of Gran Canaria near Maspalomas. It was about 20 degrees and sunny. There is a nice long sea front promenade from San Agustin to the dunes.

Callistemon21 Tue 15-Aug-23 19:38:52

Go to Madeira 😀

Daddima Tue 15-Aug-23 20:55:15

I go to Gran Canaria every December, and like others, would recommend Puerto de Mogan ( unless, as Casdon said, you’ve ruled out Gran Canaria). It’s very pretty, with plenty of nice restaurants and also seats for a wee rest! A nice harbour to catch ferries to Anfi and Puerto Rico ( very hilly). Meloneras and Maspalomas are nice too, but have less of a village feel. There is a gigantic market every Friday, which seems to appear overnight!
In Tenerife, like Gran Canaria, the South of the island is warmer, and Golf del Sur and Los Abrigos are nice.

Oldnproud Tue 15-Aug-23 21:05:29

I think that all of the Canary Islands can be breezy, and depending on the time of year, those winds can be quite chilly. It can be quite unpredictable, but that is islands for you!

Oldnproud Tue 15-Aug-23 21:10:17

SunnySusie

We have been to La Palma many times, Lanzarote three times and Gran Canaria once. We love La Palma but its not as warm in the winter months and you cant always get a direct flight. We booked with TUI last year just for flights and then they withdrew all their direct flights in October and we cancelled. We like Lanzarote and usually stay inland near Tias in self-catering. You need a hire car to do this as its not very large, but its also not very touristy. We swam in an unheated pool in January in Tias (temperature like the North Sea in August!). Last January we stayed in San Agustin in the far south of Gran Canaria near Maspalomas. It was about 20 degrees and sunny. There is a nice long sea front promenade from San Agustin to the dunes.

There are quite some sights on those dunes, SunnySusie. I have lived in San Agustin, and was once walking around the dunes behind an English couple who clearly had not been warned what would get on show. I still laugh to myself when I recall their incredulous faces 😁

Oldnproud Tue 15-Aug-23 21:10:54

That said, there is not quite so much to be seen on the chillier days 😁

HJ1963 Wed 16-Aug-23 19:36:54

My husband and I go to Playa Blanca in Lanzarote every Christmas, we stay at the H10 Rubicon Palace it's out of the way a beautiful hotel which has little bungalows in the beautifully kept gardens. It's a lovely walk either into Playa Blanca or to the lighthouse. There are two floors of entertainment we always sit in the piano, it's large enough if you wish to sit near the bar & entertainment usually a pianist,singer or guitar player, it varies each year, on saying that the elderly man who plays the piano he's been there many years and is so talented & friendly. I'm sure you'd love this hotel. It has three added restaurants on site aswell as two in the hotel.

Patsy70 Wed 16-Aug-23 20:33:59

So many varied responses! Where will you choose to go Pregran? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Primrose53 Wed 16-Aug-23 20:44:49

Oldnproud

SunnySusie

There are quite some sights on those dunes, SunnySusie. I have lived in San Agustin, and was once walking around the dunes behind an English couple who clearly had not been warned what would get on show. I still laugh to myself when I recall their incredulous faces 😁

I mentioned what goes on in the dunes earlier in the thread. 🤣

We had no idea but we kept seeing lots of couples (many same sex) heading that way. Never seen so many naked bodies in one place.

I googled it when I got home. 😱😱

anna7 Wed 16-Aug-23 22:02:28

@HJ1963 We have stayed at the Rubicon in Playa Blanca a few times too. Love it there and in some of the other hotels in Playa Blanca

Floradora9 Thu 17-Aug-23 22:12:37

HJ1963

My husband and I go to Playa Blanca in Lanzarote every Christmas, we stay at the H10 Rubicon Palace it's out of the way a beautiful hotel which has little bungalows in the beautifully kept gardens. It's a lovely walk either into Playa Blanca or to the lighthouse. There are two floors of entertainment we always sit in the piano, it's large enough if you wish to sit near the bar & entertainment usually a pianist,singer or guitar player, it varies each year, on saying that the elderly man who plays the piano he's been there many years and is so talented & friendly. I'm sure you'd love this hotel. It has three added restaurants on site aswell as two in the hotel.

But the Rubicon is very far out of the town . Also the paths to the little bungalows are not great for anyone elderly . you would need a taxi both ways into and back from town . We adoid it now we are older.

mumofmadboys Fri 18-Aug-23 07:07:21

I have only been to La Gomera on a walking holiday which I enjoyed very much. Quite hilly.

silverlining48 Fri 18-Aug-23 08:38:51

I havnt been to Madeira but understand from friends that it’s very hilly which may not suit everyone,
We stayed at the H10 Princess?hotel in playa Blanca lanzarote very close to the beach and the Rubicon where they had a very good market 3x pw.
Reasonably flat as I recall.
We are thinking about renting somewhere fir 3 weeks in Jan/Feb

Maggiemaybe Fri 18-Aug-23 09:26:04

eazybee

Silly me; my response was to think surely no-one keeps caged birds now!

Coincidentally, I did a double take yesterday when I heard a canary singing through next door’s open kitchen window, a week after our neighbour’s Spanish girlfriend moved in. Two of the grandsons were staying over and they were horrified at the thought of birds in small cages. I am too now, though we did have budgies when I was growing up. What were we thinking?

Callistemon21 Fri 18-Aug-23 10:12:34

silverlining48

I havnt been to Madeira but understand from friends that it’s very hilly which may not suit everyone,
We stayed at the H10 Princess?hotel in playa Blanca lanzarote very close to the beach and the Rubicon where they had a very good market 3x pw.
Reasonably flat as I recall.
We are thinking about renting somewhere fir 3 weeks in Jan/Feb

Yes, Madeira is hilly, but there are level walks around the levadas, along promenades by the coast and guided tours to different parts of the island.

PreGran Sun 20-Aug-23 22:38:24

Thank you everyone so much
I have looked at every single suggestion and Costa Adeje is looking favourite with Puerto Mogan a close second.
It's looking like jet2holidays offer the best options.
Final decision yet to be made

Allsorts Mon 21-Aug-23 05:53:01

I’ve been in those dunes and never saw a thing apart from sand.
They are all nice for a winter break, now I go for the nearest airport transfer.

Nellietheelephant Tue 19-Sep-23 09:41:14

Another vote for Puerto Mogan here. Slightly against my wishes, we stayed in a very large spread out hotel near the village, but it was excellent and within walking distance of the beach and village. Can't remember the name now. Hope you enjoy your holiday, wherever you stay!

PreGran Mon 30-Oct-23 16:59:40

Just an update - we are off to Gran Canaria in December staying at San Agustin.
Hoping for decent weather

Daddima Mon 30-Oct-23 18:14:00

Pregran, I just booked my airport transfer to Puerto Mogan today, with canaryforum.com, whom we’ve been using for years.
And Nellie could you have been in Cordial Mogan Playa which is where I stayed last time? It has fabulous gardens, and even an ancient burial ground in the grounds!

NP70 Sat 18-Nov-23 07:30:48

Can recommend Puerto de Mogan in Gran Canaria. Beautiful beach, harbour, restaurants and shops. Flat and walkable. Great weather and family friendly people. Never disappointing!

PreGran Sat 30-Dec-23 22:41:24

Sorry for the delayed update.
We had a great week in San Agustin. The weather, hotel, food and the island were perfect. We stayed in Corallium Beach with jet2.
It was so good to escape the Christmas chaos at home for a little while.
We are hoping to do something similar next year. We fancy Madeira but the cooler temperatures are making us hesitant.
Has anyone been at this time of year?
Thanks

ElaineI Sun 31-Dec-23 00:28:44

PinkCosmos

We have been to Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria and Lanzarote over the last few years.

Fuertaventura - we stayed in Caleta del Fuste in February. I was very windy. However, there was along flat prom that was nice to walk along and the resort was fairly flat generally

Lanzarote - stayed in Costa Teguise. Quite a busy resort with a decent prom and good restaurants. Also fairly flat.

Gran Canaria - we stayed in Amadores which was a bit quiet as there was only one beach and a row of restaurants. It was also quite hilly walking away from the beach to the hotels. It was easy to get around on the local bus. We preferred Puerto Mogan. Whilst it is small, there is more going on. There is a lovely section with traditional houses covered with bougainvillea - you see it on all the photos. There is a good choice of restaurants and a smallish beach. You can also walk around the harbour quite easily. There is a boat to Puerto Rico.

Tenerife - we have stayed in Costa Adeje which merges together with Los Americas and Los Christianos. I thought Los A and Los C had a bit of a reputation as party places but I don't think it is as bad as it was. You can walk all the way along the prom passing along all three resorts. Some sections are nicer than others. We preferred Costa Adeje and El Duque beach as they felt a bit more upmarket. It is a bit steep to walk in parts when you are going away from the beach area. There are lots of good restaurants.

Of the three we have visited, Costa Adeje, Tenerife would be my favourite followed by Puerto Mogan, Gran Canaria.

Agree with you PinkCosmos. Been to Tenerife, Lanzarote and Gran Canaria.
Lanzarote was nice but windy. Interesting to see the volcanic areas.
Tenerife Costa Adeje is nice and quite central - promenade goes all way to Los Christianos where we stayed but was quite a long walk to shopping and restaurant area. Puerto Mogan in Gran Canaria is lovely. We didn't stay there but got the bus there a few times as it was very pretty and has a good market. The north of Tenerife can be quite cloudy.

OldFrill Sun 31-Dec-23 08:48:06

PreGran

Sorry for the delayed update.
We had a great week in San Agustin. The weather, hotel, food and the island were perfect. We stayed in Corallium Beach with jet2.
It was so good to escape the Christmas chaos at home for a little while.
We are hoping to do something similar next year. We fancy Madeira but the cooler temperatures are making us hesitant.
Has anyone been at this time of year?
Thanks

I've been to Madeira in early December. The weather was very mixed from bright, warm and sunny to cold and wet needing jumpers and raincoats. Days were short, evenings were cold. I stayed in Funchal in a B&B which was great for accessing everything in Funchal but it's not the most scenic of towns. In December Christmas is hugely promoted, lights everywhere, entertainment and a mock up of a mountain village where you (supposedly) watch/participate with villagers who have decamped into Funchal.
Everything was open but most restaurants closed quite early.
There looked to be some excellent hotels near Funchal but be aware it is very hilly. I didn't find there was much to do in the evening but a hotel with entertainment might improve this if you're looking for entertainment.
I liked Funchal, the cruise ship days were a bit challenging as it is such a small town and was then flooded with tourists which took away some of its charm.
If you're booking a hotel make sure it's warm and has decent links to get around if hilly walks aren't your thing.

PreGran Tue 09-Jan-24 18:30:56

Update 2
We have booked Costa Adeje for December.

We are now thinking about things to see/do.
We really fancy seeing Teide & Northern Tenerife.

Do you have any advice or tips please?