Gransnet forums

Travel

Copenhagen and malmo

(9 Posts)
polomint Sat 06-Apr-24 15:54:03

Has anyone been to copenhagen? I would like to travel to malmo via the oresmund bridge. Has anyone any tips on best places to visit in both cities? Obviously the little mermaid and tivoli Gardens and the colourful houses near the canal are on my list

TerriBull Sat 06-Apr-24 16:32:56

Yes! Lovely city, albeit a bit expensive. We went a few years ago, around the time of the launch of the best of Scandi dramas, The Bridge, Borgen, The Killing.

We did all the major sites, walked around the outside of the palaces in the city centre, went inside one of the older palaces but can't remember the name. Other than that, The Tivoli Gardens., The Round Tower, Copenhagen's national museum, Frederik's church. There are some lovely shops and stores in Copenhagen if you just want to browse or even buy. We were staying in Nyhavn right on the canals very central loads of restaurants it was the first time I saw blankets on the chairs for al fresco eating, now they're here too. I really wished we had gone over The Bridge to Sweden, I would have gone a bit further on to Lund beyond Malmo which I believe is quite an old city, I've also heard Malmo is a bit dodgy. We didn't go to Sweden in the end, because we went to a modern art gallery outside Copenhagen called Louisiana which took up a whole day, which my friend wanted to do, but I didn't, and then we didn't really have the time left to do another long trip.

Anyway I hope you enjoy your break from what I understood going over the bridge to Sweden is very doable. The Danish are super nice and they all seem to speak English.

Siope Sat 06-Apr-24 16:45:47

Never been to Malmö, but in Copenhagen, Cisternerne, an underground art gallery, is great. It’s a little way out of the city, by the zoo (which is not so great).

Christiana is interesting, although still controversial and not very everybody’s cup of tea. Residents now do tours, which might be a good way of learning about the neighbourhood’s history and plans www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/planning/christiania-gdk957761

Christianshavn, the area that Christiana is part of, is lovely and lively, and an easy walk from Nyhavn, which is definitely worth a look, as you say. Bridge Street Kitchen, handily located between the two, is a brilliant street food market www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/planning/bridge-street-kitchen-gdk1101423

There are a cluster of museums and extensive gardens in the city (known as the Parkmuseerne District) and you can buy a single ticket for all of them.

vegansrock Sat 06-Apr-24 16:47:24

The tourist boat trip was good.

polomint Mon 08-Apr-24 13:07:11

Thank you for your comments. I'm looking forward to visiting there

nanna8 Mon 08-Apr-24 13:21:29

Copenhagen is a lovely city but the Little Mermaid is just that, little! Costs heaps though, we paid $ 70 for a very basic pizza which would cost $10 here. You don’t go there for the food, however.

NotAGran55 Mon 08-Apr-24 15:11:15

I loved Copenhagen when I went to a gig there at The Royal Arena . We popped over to Malmo for a day on the train and did a lovely little tourist boat ride there to see a few more more sights. The trains are good and very cheap.
Copenhagen is a really cool, chilled place to wander around with fantastic food. Friendly locals too.
Can highly recommend Mad & Kaffe for a very delicious and different breakfast/brunch.
We stayed in a great Airbnb apartment next to the old meat packing district which is very interesting and great if you like to eat meat, which I don’t!
Take a look at Warpigs if you do.
Have a great time.

Litterpicker Mon 08-Apr-24 17:48:22

Just be warned - it is very expensive to drive over the Oresund Bridge (and back). It was much cheaper by train. We went in our campervan in 2018. We did love crossing the bridge though, having watched all of the series to date 😊

Elless Mon 08-Apr-24 21:00:55

We went to Copenhagen at the beginning of December last year and I'm sorry but we were very underwhelmed. The little mermaid is beautiful but Tivoli Gardens was very disappointing.