A reminder for those travelling from GB into Europe since B****t that taking any milk products and/or meat products into Europe isnt legal. The foot and mouth prevention ban is good!
Another reason to not have a death penalty
From Saturday 12 April, it will be illegal for travellers from all EU countries entering Great Britain to bring items like sandwiches, cheese, cured meats, raw meats or milk into the country. Those found with these items run the risk of incurring fines of up to £5,000 in England.
Wine is still OK! 😁
The Government has taken measures to prevent the spread of foot and mouth disease (FMD) following a rising number of cases across Europe.
A reminder for those travelling from GB into Europe since B****t that taking any milk products and/or meat products into Europe isnt legal. The foot and mouth prevention ban is good!
Mollygo
You can have confit de canard. Bird products are allowed.
👍 that's good!
Wondering about milk chocolate Easter eggs now! !
ViceVersa
*I don't think we get any foods in the UK imported from America thankfully.*
Are you kidding me? Some supermarkets have a whole aisle full of American products.
Oh dear, I really didn't know. I haven't been food shopping for 3 years due to being housebound due to ill health.
Georgesgran
No, Gran10.
I often watch a programme about Customs in Australia where they confiscate various foods brought into the county on overseas flights and impose large on the spot fines.
Aus is super careful...we travel to Perth most years...you can't take loads of diff foods in...you can't take plants or seeds in...I had a pencil taken off me cos its wood ( could have bugs in it they said) ....20 mins before we land they spray the cabin with stuff....and we've had to walk thru sheep dip type stuff several times when there's been particular scares on...the aussies don't take any risks
nanna8
You can have our gall wasps. The little bs have ruined my lemon tree. They are very careful to ban most foodstuffs being brought into airports here. Nice big fines for those who try to. We have to protect our unique native plants and animals.
Nothing to declare is my go to programme when there’s nothing else interesting to watch.
Rita is my absolute favourite with her
“Food. If you put it in your mouth, it’s food! If you eat it, it’s food!”
I don't think we get any foods in the UK imported from America thankfully.
Are you kidding me? Some supermarkets have a whole aisle full of American products.
You can have confit de canard. Bird products are allowed.
Oh dear! Confit de canard is mainly sold in sealed tins, I was going to take it over for my DD this next week.
You can have our gall wasps. The little bs have ruined my lemon tree. They are very careful to ban most foodstuffs being brought into airports here. Nice big fines for those who try to. We have to protect our unique native plants and animals.
Grannylynj
I got fined 60 dollars for a nectarine
Did they let you eat it?
I got fined 60 dollars for a nectarine
Baggs
Avoiding having wasps is not necessarily a good thing. Wasps are actually useful in some ways.
That said, I'd be surprised if Australia didn't have native wasps. Perhaps the authorities didn't want non-native (European or American) ones, which is understandable.
DH found one in the bed the other evening.
Another one was buzzing round the bedroom this morning. They may be a good thing but I hope we don't have a nest in the attic!
Georgesgran
No, Gran10.
I often watch a programme about Customs in Australia where they confiscate various foods brought into the county on overseas flights and impose large on the spot fines.
A woman was fined A$1,000 for trying to bring in a couple of apples which she'd been given on the flight.
When there was an outbreak of foot and mouth in the UK the Customs officials would take your shoes and scrub the soles with disinfectant before you could enter Australia.
It's illegal to take bananas from one State to another as well.
From the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, the Faroe Islands and Greenland
You can bring in the following for personal use:
fish
poultry, for example chicken, duck, goose and any other products made from these meats
other animal products, for example eggs and honey
Because of animal disease outbreaks (including foot and mouth disease) in the EU, there are temporary restrictions in place for bringing in:
meat, dairy and animal products from some animals
There has been no German salami in our local Lidls for weeks, I am assuming it is because of foot and mouth
Our supermarkets are stuffed with products from France, Italy etc - so it’s only personal foodstuffs that are banned.
Jaxjacky
Françe has forbidden those foods being taken the other way from the UK for a long time, but there are always the clever clogs sneaking it in to their holiday or permanent homes. Those who can’t live without ‘proper’ bacon or sausages even though they’re living in another country.
The only time I’ve seen that mentioned was at an airport in Italy, on the way home to the UK about 20 years ago. I’ve never seen it either when flying, or on the ferry or by Chunnel going the other way.
Françe has forbidden those foods being taken the other way from the UK for a long time, but there are always the clever clogs sneaking it in to their holiday or permanent homes. Those who can’t live without ‘proper’ bacon or sausages even though they’re living in another country.
Having lived through 2 serious FMD outbreaks, one while staying at a small Welsh hill farm, I’d do whatever it takes to prevent it spreading here again.
So does that mean no more President butter, or French Brie Camembert or Italian salami in the shops, or are they guaranteed free from if they’ve had customs duty paid on them?
Baggs
Avoiding having wasps is not necessarily a good thing. Wasps are actually useful in some ways.
That said, I'd be surprised if Australia didn't have native wasps. Perhaps the authorities didn't want non-native (European or American) ones, which is understandable.
Yes, it was our wasps they didn’t want. They aren’t native, and their own aren’t as aggressive. They have plenty of their own nasties though.
Just checked and they do:
Australia has a diverse range of native wasp species, with over 12,000 identified.
Avoiding having wasps is not necessarily a good thing. Wasps are actually useful in some ways.
That said, I'd be surprised if Australia didn't have native wasps. Perhaps the authorities didn't want non-native (European or American) ones, which is understandable.
Georgesgran
No, Gran10.
I often watch a programme about Customs in Australia where they confiscate various foods brought into the county on overseas flights and impose large on the spot fines.
I remember the days when they used to spray the passengers on the plane before we landed in Australia to make sure we didn’t have any insects on us. They had avoided having any wasps by that method, which must be good.
Anything we can do to avoid foot and mouth has to be a sensible move, it is a dreadful thing.
I bought some special tomato sauce sealed in a plastic bottle which can’t be bought here. It was removed by German customs as I returned to the uk last year. , He just threw it in a bin…I was sooooo disappointed. ☹️
Ps I bet he got it out once I was gone.
Pps I get it online now at 4 times the price. Grrr .
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.