I'm 73 and just did a 24hr flight from Sydney via Singapore. It took me about 3-4 days to recover as I dont sleep well anyway. Also I developed a cough whilst away so that didn't help.
Standing up to a narcissistic big sister
I'm 73 and just did a 24hr flight from Sydney via Singapore. It took me about 3-4 days to recover as I dont sleep well anyway. Also I developed a cough whilst away so that didn't help.
Pippins6133
Does anyone know where to get Melatonin in the UK? I've searched the web to no avail. Apparently, it’s only available on prescription. Thanks
I used Melatonin some 20 + years ago on flights to and fro London to Sydney… didn’t work! Asked my Doc about using Melatonin again recently as I have trouble getting to sleep ( usually OK once asleep but that’s not til 3/4/5 am! ) … she was dubious and said not worth trying!
If people believe they work they probably will!
NotSpaghetti
Please buy some well fitting flight socks!
✈️
Have fun.
I can recommend a company called Not Your Grandma's, pretty flight socks and so comfy, I did return
11hr flights in May/June without any problems
Does anyone know where to get Melatonin in the UK? I've searched the web to no avail. Apparently, it’s only available on prescription. Thanks
I think it’s worse flying East West than the other way. We usually land about 6am in the U.K. so try and sleep on the flight as much as possible then stay awake as long as you can.
It seems to get worse as I get older. When I was 10 and the flight to HK took forever ( about 4/5 stops) it was never a problem. Those poor travellers who went on to Australia and New Zealand must have suffered a lot.
Thanks all again.
Louisa my older son has said the same about the flight having loads of films but I am a minority who likes the very old films and comedies, not detective films. I notice Netflix has some about old boarding schools during the decade I attended school
Bigred18
Singapore to London is easier than in the opposite direction. I do this trip frequently, from Sydney. And I am in my 80s! I will be doing it again in march. I take a Melatonin a couple of hours after takeoff, no food, hope to sleep. Take Melatonin at night when you get home and you should be ok after a couple of days!
That's inspired me! Having travelled to and fro for years before Covid hit, I've lost my nerve, I think. We're not getting younger so should make the effort for one final trip.
Like previous posters, I take at least a week to recover, I’m 63, but I also suffer from insomnia. My DH takes a day! Melatonin doesn’t work for me. Using strong sleeping tablets when flying is frowned upon as in an emergency passengers can be too drowsy to follow instructions and have slow movements. They can also react differently in a pressurised cabin. I was on a BA flight to Turkey and parents had obviously dosed up their daughter who was around 12 years old. She was near comatose and couldn’t sit up, and we had hit some really bad turbulence. The parents didn’t speak English and staff had to find someone to translate for them, the parents were torn off a strip and told how dangerous it is.
When I came back from Bangkok on a 14 hour flight it took me over a week to get over jet lag. I felt awful. I am one of those who can never sleep on flights no matter what I try.
Melatonin doesn't work for me.
Cath9
I have Danazipan sleeping drugs. I will have a research in Melatonion but I have to be careful that what I take doesn’t affect my other two medications which I have to take regularly each day..
If I can’t sleep what with a book,2 puzzle books and a few very old films on my Tablet I should be ok.
Melatonin is what your body naturally releases to induce sleep...far better than the other drugs you mention.
You can get melatonin OTC in Oz ....there will be loads of in flight entertainment ...wouldn't worry about your ipad
How long is your transit in Singapore? They have transit hotels you can book in 3hr blocks . Gives you chance to lie down and have shower . I would recommend if you have a long enough layover . These hotels are within the airport so you don't have to go through customs etc.
I went to NZ and back 2 years ago when I was 75. I couldn't get to sleep on the way out which was the worst thing. So sleeping pills would be good. Support socks, neck cushion and if you can't sleep walk about frequently. Make sure you have an aisle seat.
I didn't suffer from jetlag. I just went with the flow by reading through the night and sleeping if I had to. My son and his family are easy going and understanding.
Enjoy your trip!
I really think it depends on the person! Some are bothered for a week, others not bothered at all after a catch up sleep day.
I find it very hard to sleep sitting up, so on the way home a tablet to make you drowsy might help. Don't schedule anything important on the first few days home.
I have Danazipan sleeping drugs. I will have a research in Melatonion but I have to be careful that what I take doesn’t affect my other two medications which I have to take regularly each day..
If I can’t sleep what with a book,2 puzzle books and a few very old films on my Tablet I should be ok.
Singapore to London is easier than in the opposite direction. I do this trip frequently, from Sydney. And I am in my 80s! I will be doing it again in march. I take a Melatonin a couple of hours after takeoff, no food, hope to sleep. Take Melatonin at night when you get home and you should be ok after a couple of days!
It lasts about a week.
But then when we go from GMT to BST and vic3 versa, I get jet lagged, so it’s hard to say.
You are all so wonderful.
On my outward journey shouldn’t be too tiring as I am flying to Sydney from Singapore where I have booked an 11 day cruise before finally flying from Sydney to Auckland where my son will meet me and who I will be with for three weeks.
As mentioned it is the return journey that concerns me after getting negative ideas from my older over these last two days.
I will be taking some sleeping tablets, socks from a previous visit many years ago and old noise resistant ear plugs. Also my dear older son has given me a Tablet so I can download some old films to watch.
All the best for 2026
Long haul back to the uk , I try and get a night flight . I take noise cancelling headphones , eye mask, neck pillow and melatonin . Plus aspirin.
In the uk I try and stay awake and resist a nap . I go to bed about an hour before my normal bedtime and try to keep a normal routine for the next few days . This works for me . My dh succumbs to napping during the day and jet lags lasts about 5 days
Please buy some well fitting flight socks!
✈️
Have fun.
My advice would be to take a night flight from the UK, and use a sleeping pill, the over the counter Nytol works for me. Invest in some noise blocking earphones, and take a neck pillow. I find the flight out from the UK gives me worse jet lag than the flight home. It’s best to go straight on to the time of the country you are arriving at. One of the good things about a night flight out is that you are tired when you arrive, so going to bed in the new time zone is not too hard. Don’t plan too much for the first couple of days - you’ll cope better if you aren’t sightseeing, we found we were tired by the heat and humidity for the first few days.
Melatonin helps.
Well you’re flying with the worlds turn, so not as bad as you might think, especially if you can manage to get some sleep.
I wouldn’t schedule anything in at all for about three days and then just unimportant, short stuff for the rest of the week. And then you should be back to normal.
Are you going premium? Last time I found it was the swollen legs and feet that were my main problem.
Hi again.
You are all SO helpful although this query maybe more difficult
If anyone has taken the 14hr return flight from Singapore to London how long did it take to feel better after the jet lag?
I have added this to a reply message also but decided to send a separate message.
I am in my late 70s so need as much information as possible
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.