Gransnet forums

Travel

Travel Insurance Claims

(35 Posts)
jeanie99 Wed 04-Feb-26 22:57:15

Travel insurance, are there any decent companies for anyone over 80 when they make a claim
I took our an annual travel insurance with Co op in November 2024 which covered the period to October 2025,
In April 2025 we had a cruise booked and a week after we arrived home I had a coach tour booked.
In April 2025 a week before we went on the cruise(luggage had already been collected) I had an emergency and was taken into hospital, in May I had a radical Hysterectomy followed by 6 sessions of chemotherapy.
In April 2025 I made a claim to Co op who passed me on to their under writer called Zurich.
To say they were a complete nightmare to deal with is an understatement.
I had three members of staff dealing with my claim.
I sent information (which I had a signature for )which they said they hadn't received.
I had to send all the information again, thank goodness I had taken copies.
I emailed Zurich so many times to the three different people and received no response.
Yesterday I received a very long email from there complaints department apologizing for all the unnecessary stress I had been put through.
I have today received a phone call saying that my claim will be paid in full and in addition a goodwill payment is to be paid acknowledging and in recognition of the inconvenience caused etc.
I wait with bated breath for the money to be received into my bank account.

ClicketyClick Wed 04-Feb-26 21:59:12

Very true. Once when I applied for insurance over the phone, I was apologising for constantly coughing and sneezing so they put on my policy that I had a cold and that I'm hard of hearing. I thought both were a bit excessive because a cold goes away and my hearing won't improve but just went with it.

cmcpne Wed 04-Feb-26 21:56:36

Thank you all so much & yes I agree declaring ahh conditions is vital.
I don’t have a bank account with insurance so I will look at Aviva or policies covered by them.
Thanks for the warnings! That’s exactly what I need to know.

LOUISA1523 Wed 04-Feb-26 20:56:15

Tenko

I have travel insurance through my bank , NatWest, they use Aviva . The important thing is to declare all your health issues, otherwise they try and wriggle out of paying .

This is the best advice
Put EVERTHING ....I even put symptoms of menopause ...even tho not technically an illness....doesn't increase the premium....but may stop a payout if not declared ...even if I claim for an unrelated reason

Tenko Wed 04-Feb-26 18:39:45

I have travel insurance through my bank , NatWest, they use Aviva . The important thing is to declare all your health issues, otherwise they try and wriggle out of paying .

ClicketyClick Wed 04-Feb-26 18:34:26

I had to make a claim whilst on holiday with Stay Sure Insurance. They were brilliant from start to finish. I had to cover the hospital costs initially because that's just how it was with the hospital's policy. Although Stay Sure docs say you should contact them before getting any treatment, when I contacted them and explained, they were very reassuring and said they totally understood. There was no wriggling out by them of paying the full costs to me which was in my bank account within the month. I've stayed with them ever since. They also cover for pre existing conditions. Yes, it does cost more but it's worth the peace of mind

Lathyrus3 Wed 04-Feb-26 18:29:26

My sister was taken ill before a holiday together. Saga was as obstructive as possible over the claim and still did not accept it even when she died.

It really isn’t possible to be more ill than that.

In contrast my insurance through my Nationwide account placed the money in my bank within five days of receiving my letter about her illness.

cmcpne Wed 04-Feb-26 18:25:11

Thanks Sago I have tried looking at Defacto and Trustpilot but so many of their ratings are only based on the ease of buying a policy or the cost. However I will avoid Insure and Go.

Sago Wed 04-Feb-26 18:19:43

Do not use Insure and Go!
They have refused our very legitimate claim.
Trust Pilot is a good platform to research the different companies.

cmcpne Wed 04-Feb-26 17:50:19

I’m just looking to arrange travel insurance and can’t find much information on how good a company is if the worst happens and you have to make a claim.
Obviously the cost of the policy is important to me but I don’t want to choose a cheaper policy only to find the company not good at paying out.
So has anyone any experience or advice on this please b