Gransnet forums

Travel

Travel Insurance Claims

(36 Posts)
cmcpne Wed 04-Feb-26 17:50:19

I’m just looking to arrange travel insurance and can’t find much information on how good a company is if the worst happens and you have to make a claim.
Obviously the cost of the policy is important to me but I don’t want to choose a cheaper policy only to find the company not good at paying out.
So has anyone any experience or advice on this please b

Cath9 Thu 10-Sept-26 17:16:28

Shinamae that is the company I have been using for my last two holidays so thanks for giving your experience as I have heard the opposite

Cath9 Wed 09-Sept-26 20:18:06

A few days ago a lady mentioned to me that her daughter-in-law suggested Aviva.
What I did was find one that looked positive then searched the reviews of the firm

benjaminmarshal Wed 02-Sept-26 08:00:17

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Bigred18 Sun 16-Aug-26 04:46:57

Be sure to include everything requested in application! I know someone taken ill abroad and insurance knocked the claim back because pre existing conditions had not been included in application. Cost an absolute fortune for treatment and repatriation home.

Shinamae Sat 15-Aug-26 23:59:23

A few years ago on holiday in Spain, I slipped on a marble stair fell backwards and cracked my head open
Stay sure were absolutely brilliant..

MT62 Sat 15-Aug-26 23:50:37

Tenko

I have travel insurance through my bank , NatWest, they use Aviva . The important thing is to declare all your health issues, otherwise they try and wriggle out of paying .

My Aviva insurance would have been £235 more this year, used Martin Lewis website & saved £156 plus I covered my back & neck on this new insurance.

Zee1 Sat 15-Aug-26 17:46:01

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Tenko Fri 27-Mar-26 21:34:32

For those with elderly parents . I contacted my insurance company about whether I’d be covered if I couldn’t travel due to something happening with my mum . They said because my mum at 90 had numerous health issues, which had been going on for years . I wasn’t covered . If she had a new condition causing me not to travel , then I was covered . This is with my bank .

Sarahsw19 Fri 27-Mar-26 21:18:16

Don't use Saga travel insurance.
They refused our valid claim , and we had been with them for years , even through Covid times.
Very disappointing. Simply wouldn't listen and understand us.
We've switched to All Clear now, so fingers crossed they are better

Cossy Sat 07-Mar-26 08:18:56

We use The Post Office and have an annual WW policy (cannot reminder who underwrites this!)

Sarahr Sat 07-Mar-26 07:56:38

I would advise against RAC. My DH ended up in hospital, on our 3rd day in Germany, for 13 days. We contacted the ferry company who put an open return on our booking. We contacted the RAC Insurance who advised that they would arrange for our motorbike to be collected and taken home for us and would arrange flights with medical assistance, with onward travel to get us home. DH finally got out of hospital and we advised the insurance that he was ready to go home. We waited a couple of days; luckily the accommodation was vacant so we didn't have to find an alternative. We rang each day to check on what was happening, being told a garage would pick up the bike and flights were being arranged. On the fourth day we were told they wouldn't be either taking us or the bike home. No explanation. We set off that night, it was very hot and too uncomfortable to ride during the day. We stopped at every service station on the way for DH to rest. DH shouldn't have been riding the bike but we had no choice. We got straight onto the ferry and were able to relax for a few hours before the long journey home from South to north England. All we got out of the insurance was our premium reimbursed, no apology, no explanation. We now check out insurance by ringing the company and making sure all bases are covered.

AmberGran Fri 06-Feb-26 19:15:50

We used Vibe Insurance for a two week trip to Jersey in November. We paid about £160 for the two of us and had to tell them that DH was having cancer treatments. That also covered loss of phones, laptops, etc.

As it happened our return ferry was delayed because of one of the storms, and we had to stay an extra night. They paid up the full amount of £140 for each of without too much hassle. It took about six weeks because they said they had a backlog but they emailed fairly regularly letting us know what was happening.

SueEH Fri 06-Feb-26 19:04:46

I’d recommend Staysure. Mum and dad decided not to go on the Cyprus holiday they asked me to take them on - they were in their 90s with health problems. Their premiums were high but Staysure paid up without any problems.

KKOB Thu 05-Feb-26 23:00:36

Have a look at the reviews for a company on Trustpilot. You'll get a feeling for the way in which their customers are treated.

LOUISA1523 Thu 05-Feb-26 22:20:14

Grannyjacq1

Does anyone know if waiting for a memory assessment affects travel insurance. And if it's a long wait, perhaps after booked holiday, how do you get insurance??

It needs to be listed....you are having investigations....you need to declare

silverlining48 Thu 05-Feb-26 17:52:03

We were not impressed with staysure and would not use them again. They charged us extra because the airline had gone bust while we were away and our return was delayed 2 days.
We had an annual world wide insurance, so it should have made not the slightest difference. I was so stressed I didn’t realise til later but they knew.

Sue65 Thu 05-Feb-26 17:37:20

Staysure were excellent when I couldnt travel due to ill health
They also repaid my friend in full even though it was just me who couldn’t travel

genie10 Thu 05-Feb-26 16:08:33

I'd second StaySure. I have claimed once from them without too much bother, but you do need to declare all health issues in full.

Cornishgreenhouse Thu 05-Feb-26 15:45:42

Ditto StaySure were brilliant when we had to claim. No fuss and paid in full.

Menopauselbitch Thu 05-Feb-26 15:44:51

I’ve got it through my bank and they have been very good.

Mojack26 Thu 05-Feb-26 15:20:37

I have just used AllClear. Very good Trustpilot reviews. I always look at reviews before I purchase anything. Same with Trip Advisor

Jennerdysphoria Thu 05-Feb-26 14:56:57

Which? consumers' organization has lodged a super-complaint with the FCA against insurers

www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c87yey5neggo

ArthurAskey Thu 05-Feb-26 13:55:19

Travel insurance for over 70’s is very expensive.

Grannyjacq1 Thu 05-Feb-26 13:54:33

Does anyone know if waiting for a memory assessment affects travel insurance. And if it's a long wait, perhaps after booked holiday, how do you get insurance??

cmcpne Thu 05-Feb-26 13:43:21

So glad you at least have a potential good outcome!