Gransnet forums

Travel

Burgh Island

(33 Posts)
Tuliptree Thu 13-Aug-26 21:51:25

Has anyone ever visited this island or stayed at the hotel there? Is it worth the trip?

JaneJudge Sat 15-Aug-26 18:41:50

I loved going to big bury as a child

Silvershadow Sat 15-Aug-26 18:30:32

This does look a lovely place to visit. We are off tomorrow for a month, two weeks in Dorset with my brother then a further two weeks in Salcombe area with my sister. We must try to visit Burgh Island while we are down there.

JenniRen Sat 15-Aug-26 15:20:06

Yes, we should. Perhaps after the school holidays.

Oreo Sat 15-Aug-26 15:12:45

JenniRen

This has made me yearn to move back to Devon, which we thought of doing when we retired but decided to stay nearer our children and grandchildren.

Family comes first doesn’t it? But maybe you can have a few lovely Devon holidays.

JenniRen Sat 15-Aug-26 10:55:30

This has made me yearn to move back to Devon, which we thought of doing when we retired but decided to stay nearer our children and grandchildren.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 14-Aug-26 12:29:28

If you’ve got children, one of the things they love doing at low tide is running up the side of the river with some sort of buoyancy aid and then floating gently down to the sea😊.

TerriBull Fri 14-Aug-26 10:14:27

I like them both!

25Avalon Fri 14-Aug-26 10:14:13

Look out for adders in the sand dunes as you head for the beach at Bantham. There are warning signs where they are as you go on one of the lovely walks.
One other caution the “roads” here are very narrow.

Oreo Fri 14-Aug-26 10:13:02

That may be true TerriBull but I do find the geometric designs very ‘cold’.
Whereas Art Nouveau I find lovely😃

TerriBull Fri 14-Aug-26 10:07:45

I'm mighty sorry I didn't visit Bantham Beach when I was down there, I feel I've missed something special given these recommendations, but there's always the next time, I do love Devon smile

I think it was an Agatha Christie that was filmed on the Bigbury beach, a scene with a couple of the characters sunbathing, I thought wow! that looks a great beach, inspiring me to want to go there.

Oreo I do love Art Deco, I think it's one of the iconic styles of the 20th century, but like everything in life how we perceive a design is subjective. Maybe subliminally you find it sinister because it's often a backdrop up in an Agatha Christie where the inevitable murder/s feature. obviously I can read your mind grin

JenniRen Fri 14-Aug-26 10:02:44

They filmed the TV adaptation from a very odd angle, didn't show it at its best.

Oreo Fri 14-Aug-26 09:55:29

I remember the episode of Poirot featuring the hotel but I didn’t like the look of it, I don’t know why but I really dislike anything of the Art Deco period, I find it sinister.
The beach nearby looks lovely tho.

Greenfinch Fri 14-Aug-26 09:51:42

I remember my nephew and his bride going across on the tractor and there was some delay coming back because of tractor problems.

JenniRen Fri 14-Aug-26 09:50:05

Agatha Christie set two novels there: And Then There Were None and Evil Under The Sun.

JenniRen Fri 14-Aug-26 09:48:05

Mollygo

It’s a lovely place. If you’re feeling fit you can walk across the bay at low tide.
Otherwise the carriage is great.
We’ve only ever had drinks or a meal at the hôtel and that was years ago.

The tractor! 🙂

JenniRen Fri 14-Aug-26 09:44:16

We lived not far away, this was a beach we went to regularly when the children were small. Bantham beach is even better but Bigbury and Burgh Island were more easily accessible for us then with more facilities.
There used to be a pub called the Tom Crocker Inn at Bigbury, now demolished I think.

The hotel is now very upmarket, not sure you can just wander in for coffee as we used to years ago.

Basgetti Fri 14-Aug-26 08:51:54

Many years ago. It was so run down and disappointing that we left. I imagine it’s been significantly upgraded since.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 14-Aug-26 08:47:14

The children always liked to paddle around it at high tide in their canoes.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 14-Aug-26 08:45:13

We lived near there.

The beaches are to die for particularly Bantham.

The Art Deco hotel is certainly worth a visit and stay if you find yourself down that part of the world.

The Nettlefold is in my opinion overpriced. You can get a better menu in a Michelin star for less.

Tuliptree Fri 14-Aug-26 08:44:56

Thanks for all the replies and the lovely photos. I’ll put it on the list

TerriBull Fri 14-Aug-26 08:17:00

Some more of the fabulous beach

25Avalon Fri 14-Aug-26 08:13:33

We walked across from Bigbury on a fine day in May when the tide was out. There is an ancient church on top of the steep hill and a small atmospheric pub next to the hotel. I’m sure the hotel is a lovely place to stay but not sure I’d want more than a long weekend there. It did feature in one of the Poirot stories with David Suchet.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 14-Aug-26 08:12:03

What is even better than staying at the main hotel on Burgh is staying at The Pilchard Inn, supposedly haunted by smugglers.

TerriBull Fri 14-Aug-26 08:06:54

I've been vey close, we stayed in Bigbury on Sea which has a marvellous beach. Burgh Island is completely accessible when the tide is out. There are these contraprions that ferry people to and from when the tide is in. We went to the Pilchard Inn also on the island. The hotel looks very interesting. Expensive I believe

Mollygo Thu 13-Aug-26 23:32:43

It’s a lovely place. If you’re feeling fit you can walk across the bay at low tide.
Otherwise the carriage is great.
We’ve only ever had drinks or a meal at the hôtel and that was years ago.