Gransnet forums

Travel

Please help with parking at Southampton for cruise

(17 Posts)
LizzyG Thu 14-Mar-24 12:11:15

Hi all, I could really do with some advice please on parking at Southampton for our cruise on 15th April to Canaries as I'm going round and round in circles.
We have already booked "Cruise Parking Meet & Greet" through Holiday Extras but when i look more closely at the actual location it appears to be at or near the airport and yet we are staying in Southampton the night before very close to the port. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but looking at this booking more closely it seems a bit crazy to drive out of Southampton 1/2 an hour to park up and then be driven back by an included taxi for 1/2 an hour.
We parked at Christmas almost directly next to the MSC Euribia with the opportunity to drop off our luggage beforehand and everything ran perfectly but this doesn't seem to be available for Sky Princess sailing out of berth 46, unless I'm missing something.
Maybe I'm being dumb but if anyone can give me better advice on a more sensible place to park i would be really grateful. Even if there was long stay parking in the city centre somewhere and we could get a taxi to the ship?
Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Sago Thu 14-Mar-24 12:20:40

If it’s possible to cancel you could book thr Chilworth Manor stay and cruise, it’s about £250 for dinner, b&b and parking.
The hotel is about 3 miles from the port.
I used to live in Chilworth, it was always popular with cruisers.

Astitchintime Thu 14-Mar-24 12:25:38

I have always booked with P & O and the CPS was always included - we drive to the terminal, unload luggage, and a courier then parks the car for us. ~when we return the car is driven into a pick-up carpark for us, but that might be because I am disabled.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Mar-24 12:25:43

We park dead opposite the cruise liner, but don’t have to stay as we live only a couple of hours away. So we walk across the road into the terminal.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Mar-24 12:28:15

Oh yes I forgot the courier bit and parking! We have sailed with celebrity and Cunard.

LizzyG Thu 14-Mar-24 12:36:55

Thank you very much for the recommendation. This time we would prefer to stay in the city centre as we are going to see Lulu in concert at The Mayflower Theatre there the night before we sail and it will be more convenient however I've had a look at the hotel website and it looks like it could be a good option next time we travel from Southampton. This is likely to be more and more often as my fear of flying seems to have returned with a vengeance lately....... (shock)(sad)

aonk Thu 14-Mar-24 13:01:17

We have often stayed at the Hilton which is very near to Chilwoth Manor. You can leave the car in their car park until you return. I take your point about wanting to be in the city centre the night before but don’t think it’s very far in a taxi. Anyway I’d thoroughly recommend the Hilton for this type of trip.

Mgmgmg Thu 14-Mar-24 13:26:11

Book with AB parking. They are the official car park of the port. They know which dock each ship will use and will ensure you are parked adjacent to your ship so you park up and walk straight to your embarkation point
www.abparking.co.uk/

M0nica Thu 14-Mar-24 14:15:50

When we cruised with Cunard, our experience was identical with Astitchintime - and none of us was disabled.

We drove to a drop off point immediately alongside the ship. We and our luggage got out, a courier driver got in and that was the last we saw of the car until our return when we walked to a car park the other side of the road, collected our keys, then the car and we were away within half an hour of leaving our cabin.

cornergran Thu 14-Mar-24 14:32:37

We either used CPS via P&O or Chilworth Manor. Both were efficient and easy. Why not phone both CPS and AB Parking and ask if they service your ship. I’ve got a feeling it’d CPS but may well be wrong. Good luck with the search.

LizzyG Thu 14-Mar-24 14:36:28

thanks all for your messages.
I've tried CPS and ABParking etc but they both say they don't deal with Princess Cruises. Think i may have to stick with what I've already booked.
There are worse things ......................ha ha

cornergran Thu 14-Mar-24 20:17:54

That’s a shame lizzy. I’m sure you’ll find a way around it and enjoy both concert and cruise.

drainedme Fri 15-Mar-24 08:03:01

The Guildhall multi-storey car park is right in the city centre and about a £5-10 taxi ride from there to the port. May be more convenient than driving all the way out to the airport parking.

If you wanted to park as close as possible, Whitworth Road car park is right adjacent to Berth 46 where your ship will dock. Only issue is it fills up fast so would need to get there early.

JamesandJon33 Fri 15-Mar-24 14:30:46

We have always booked parking with the cruise. Drive up to departure, car checked and then taken away and parked. Car parks are near the quay and you can often spot your car. I haven’t been on a cruise since just before covid , so things may have changed .

Sarnia Fri 15-Mar-24 14:42:35

When my daughter and I went on a cruise leaving from Southampton there was a huge car parking area for cruise passengers right next to the Passenger Centre where we had to book in. The car was safe and secure until we returned. There must be contact numbers on-line. All this was post-Covid and the Passenger Centre newly built so I assume not much has changed. Enjoy your cruise.

papworth Fri 29-Mar-24 15:16:00

The Elizabeth House Hotel in Southampton is very reasonably priced and you can stay and park or just park. you can easily get a uber to/from there.

DreamDrifter Fri 05-Apr-24 01:03:07

check out West Park & Ride or City Cruise Terminal Parking. Both offer long-stay options and are closer to the port, making your commute easier.