Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Archers Addict

(1001 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

cmcpne Sat 21-May-11 20:30:57

Well I am an addict and proud of it! Love it all even the boring bits and now love Ambridge Extra.......I believe I am not alone either????

Ganja Mon 28-Nov-11 13:03:16

Well, John's love child,that's an interesting new development! Maybe the Archers is perking up after all.

GoldenGran Mon 28-Nov-11 13:24:39

Yes*Ganja*, it's got me back listening. What do you think, is he? Sounds like a lot of upset is on the way if he is.

shysal Mon 28-Nov-11 13:49:40

If it is John's child I bet Helen will have her nose put out of joint, not providing the one and only grandchild. I find this branch of the family rather humourless. I can only take so much whingeing!
Susan needs to send her sister and family to live in the parents house, small though it is , to look after the helpless menfolk.

Mishap Mon 28-Nov-11 14:53:14

Hello fellow addicts!
Why do we get hooked on this programme?
Yes - Pat is heading for a fall if she stirs up the lovechild pot - deary me!

Pennysue Mon 28-Nov-11 14:57:45

The first episode I remember is when Grace died rescuing a horse from the stables which were on fire. (September 22, 1955) but, according to my mother, I have heard it from day 1 as she is a fan.

Listen in the afternoon if possible as I work some evenings and then again on Sunday morning!

Greatnan Mon 28-Nov-11 15:15:46

Another keen follower here - I listen to the omnibus on Sunday morning. I will have to follow on-line for two months because I will be in New Zealand.
I do find most of the child actors very poor - they should try the agency that supplies children for Coronation Street - Simon is brilliant. All the kids on the Archers, whatever their background is supposed to be, speak with RADA accents.
Has anyone else noticed that all the farm owners have posh accents and all the tenants have faux 'Oo - arr' accents?

Ganja Wed 30-Nov-11 15:34:02

Shysal You were absolutely right, Helen the Drama Queen in full flow at lunchtime today. Pat really has stirred up a hornet's nest, not to mention getting involved with the Horrobins, is she mad?

shysal Wed 07-Dec-11 16:01:55

What do we think is going to happen to Joe when he turns on Jim's Christmas lights? We can't have another Nigel-type fall can we? Perhaps he will be electrocuted or find Clive burgling the place. Any other suggestions?hmm

Ganja Sat 10-Dec-11 08:36:42

Much as I think she is dreary, I now feel sorry for Pat after that terrible conversation with Sharon. She is going to live with such agonising remorse for the rest of her life. How will she bear it?[sad, sad, sad]

Ganja Sat 10-Dec-11 08:38:47

Why do my emoticons so seldom work? What do I do wrong? confused

shysal Sat 10-Dec-11 09:26:53

Ganja Each word 'sad' needs to be enclosed by [ ]brackets with no spaces.

Nothing happened to Joe then, just a delay due to a mince pie distraction! How boring! hmm

I fear Pat is heading for a meltdown, I seem to remember her having depression in the past, maybe after John's death. sad

gracesmum Sat 10-Dec-11 14:50:43

Maybe we could have a thread on possible plot lines for The Archers?
The"prof", Jim surely has to have a steamy affair with Christine - another shower scene? A family punch up at dreary Willam and goody goody Nic's wedding? Shame about the elctrocution - that would have made sparks fly!!grin

Ganja Sun 11-Dec-11 08:52:22

shysal thank you for that. I'll try again.thanks

eGJ Thu 15-Dec-11 21:18:40

What's going to happen with Alastair/Erin/Daniel? And Poor David? This doesn't look like a happy Christmas for Pat just "meeting" Rich by chance! Peeped at the cast over Christmas and Sharon, Eamon & Rich are listed. Perhaps Pat's meltdown won't happen..............but what about Helen.

Suitable scenario for a Helen meltdown Gransnetters please!!

Ganja Fri 16-Dec-11 07:22:43

I was feeling sorry for Pat, but no longer. Confronting a kid on his way out of school and blowing his world apart is appallingly irresponsible, just to satisfy her own grandmotherly yearnings. She blew her right to that relationship before he was born, and if she REALLY loved him she would keep quiet. angry

gracesmum Fri 16-Dec-11 10:48:29

Girls, girls, girls - it's only acting! grin

Gally Fri 16-Dec-11 11:10:15

gracesmum - It IS real - well in ma heid anyway! grin

Annobel Fri 16-Dec-11 11:59:46

Gally that is an addiction!
I wish I could shed my addiction to chocolate the way I shed my addiction to the Archers, several years ago. I really have completely lost track now - likewise Corrie.

Ganja Tue 20-Dec-11 07:32:03

Never watched Corrie. Got addicted to Eastenders in Saudi, sounds mad I know, but it felt like keeping in touch with reality!

Greatnan Wed 21-Dec-11 07:11:49

You have to suspend disbelief to watch soaps - those factory workers must be paid well if they can afford to buy rounds of drinks every lunchtime! And I have lived in a street in Salford and I can assure you that the whole street did not turn out for every wedding or funeral.
Babies, even first babies, always arrive very quickly, often in the back of a cab, and on Christmas Day.
Characters change their personalities completely - I remember when the Dingles were menacing thugs, not cosy, loveable rogues, and Sally Webster and Gail Platt were not harridans.
Salford people don't use dialect words like 'appen' for 'perhaps' - that is a Yorkshire expression, I think.
And of course, as in every soap, you are 56 times more likely to get murdered than in real life!
I still love Corrie, but I miss the humour we used to have with Jack and Vera, and Hilda Ogden, or the three old biddies. It is now almost as bleak as Eastenders, and so is Emmerdale.

Annobel Wed 21-Dec-11 08:54:16

I'm not (now) a soap addict. The one I still miss, however, is Brookside - the highest death rate of any soap, complete with a body under the patio. And not afraid to confront issues like domestic violence; then there was incest and that lesbian kiss. Ground-breaking and some great acting.

Anne58 Wed 21-Dec-11 20:41:12

Oh my, definitely Archers peeps here, although I don't listen to the extra thing.

I'm smiling to myself remembering the first night that dh mark 2 stayed over! It was a Saturday, on on the Sunday morning I leapt out of bed crying "Oh no, we might miss it!" He asked "What?" I replied " The omnibus edition of "The Archers" !" He laughed until he heard the "Dum di dum di dum di dum" and realised i was serious!

Now, coming up for 11 years later, he is as addicted as I am!

(I seem to remember him doing extra (completely unnecessary) worktop surface wiping in the area next to the radio during the Ruth & Sam saga!)

Ganja Thu 22-Dec-11 08:37:25

I think Pat has been extremely lucky, and got a lot more than she deserved. The Horrobins can't be all bad.

j08 Fri 21-Jun-13 23:11:43

Just seen this tweeted.

"No Pip, don't drive carefully, wrap it round a lamp-post you insufferable pain in the arse. #thearchers

grin

grandimars Sat 22-Jun-13 12:51:50

I recently went to see "Wicked Women" which is a show put on by the actresses who play Caroline and Lilian. It was an anthology of songs, poems, epithets and anecdotes about naughty rather than wicked women, very funny and well done. Well worth catching if it comes your way.
At one point the lights went up and they did a Q & A session about The Archers, and the first question from the audience was "Please will you shoot Pip?", which brought the house down.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion