Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

glasses

(13 Posts)
carboncareful Tue 24-May-11 19:00:02

Someone on gransnet complained about how we are depicted in the media with grey hair and glasses. I wear glasses and all my life have been insulted when television or films automatically put "not very attractive female" characters in glasses - usually ugly or old-fashioned glasses at that. This is discrimination. In my younger days there was a very cruel saying: "men don't make passes at girls with glasses". It seems that directors still have this prejudice and/or they are just being lazy. Why do we let them get away with this?

MrsJamJam Tue 24-May-11 19:44:56

I've had to wear glasses since the age of 14. Permanently scarred by a 'friend' at a party when I was 22 and all dressed up who said 'You look just like a school mistress!' Wasn't meant as a compliment! sad

Quite agree that the sexy eye candy in any film or TV prog will never be in specs. Am not optimistic that things will change - all films and TV being made by spotty youths who think the whole world shares their ideas of who looks good!

tjspompa Tue 24-May-11 19:51:25

As I remember Sophia Loren wore glasses, if she is not sexy, I'll crawl in my box now!!

carboncareful Sun 05-Jun-11 22:45:15

but did she wear them in films?

grannyactivist Mon 06-Jun-11 00:11:13

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but just needed to buy two new pairs of reading glasses (a pair and spare for when I can't remember where I left them) - and for the first time also had to buy glasses for distance too. Not wonderful designer frames or anything, but still a very expensive purchase. No wonder Diedre Barlow's glasses (Coronation Street a long time ago!) remained unchanged for donkey's years - she probably was saving up for new ones. grin

Elegran Mon 06-Jun-11 11:28:29

grannyactivist - I have bought glasses from glassesonline which were far, far cheaper than anywhere else.

You need to know your prescription details (which should always be given to you when you get your eyes tested) and the measurements of a pair that already fit well - you'll find that stamped on the inside of one leg (of the glasses, not your shapely lower limb)

The site explains how to read the prescription and measurements and enter them on the order form.

Notsogrand Mon 06-Jun-11 11:37:32

I have also bought glasses from online sites. Some even allow you to upload a photo of yourself and see what your chosen frames look like on you.
The difference in cost is amazing. If filling in the online form seems a bit faffy, you can phone with your prescription details and they'll sort it all out.
I used spectaclesdirect.com for my last 2 pairs, very pleased with them. I think total for the 2 was about £55, and there were less expensive options than that.
Just goes to show how much profit the opticians are making!

carboncareful Fri 01-Jul-11 17:48:34

My prescription is such that I have to have a very small lens. Just been trying to choose and can only find children's glasses that fit all my needs. It seems that these days you can get unlimited choice in style but hardly any choice in size. That's progess for you.

goldengirl Sat 02-Jul-11 08:14:30

I wore glasses from the age of 12 then a few years ago developed cataracts and yippee! I only have to wear glasses for reading and driving now. I never had trouble getting boyfriends in my youth in spite of wearing glasses. Perhaps I was just lucky but it never seemed to be an issue.

em Sat 02-Jul-11 09:20:19

goldengirl - I had the same experience. Isn't it wonderful after all these years? I now have lots of pairs of inexpensive reading specs to match different oufits! I really was beginning to resent the cost of varifocals but now I have a vast choice for £5 a pair.

baggythecrust! Sat 02-Jul-11 10:54:10

There follows shortly a serious question asked with a twinkle in my be-spectacled eye. If someone had said to me that I looked like a school mistress, I would have understood them to mean that I looked bookish and intelligent. Why don't women take that as a compliment? Whatever happened to self-confidence?

All my school teachers at my girls' grammar school had degrees when for a woman to have a degree was a great deal less than usual. They were remarkable women and good role models. Intelligence is attractive in both sexes.

JessM Sat 02-Jul-11 11:33:15

Ah - remember the phrase "dumb blonde" which was not entirely negative.
If you get people to list personal characteristics associated with femininity I suspect intelligence does not appear very with great frequency. Not going to get over 10,000 years of patriarchy very quickly methinks smile

Hattie64 Tue 05-Jul-11 20:33:26

I am short sighted and worn glasses since aged 11. During my teenage years rarely wore them, and all the boys I met were all blurry!!! I then bought contact lenses in my 20's, and finally in my 30's went back to glasses. I change them every couple of years. My favourite pair were a bright red and huge. Now they are slim, black with white bits. As you get older they do cover up all defects like wrinkly bits under the eyes. I was also told by my kids that they make me look relatively intelligent.