Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Background music

(10 Posts)
Granieee Sat 04-Jun-11 18:49:16

Hello all
Does anyone else get irritated by the background music on certain television programmes? Sometimes it seems so loud that I cant here whats being said.
Love and hugs

glammanana Sat 04-Jun-11 19:13:01

When I first noticed background music on some of the soaps,I thought
I had left my radio on in the kitchen,I thought I was going a bit loopy.
(well more loopy than normal for me) so glad other people find it
irritating

baggythecrust! Sun 05-Jun-11 07:20:48

I hate background music anywhere! Don't have a telly so that, at least, is not an irritant, but one of the things that puts me off shopping is all the background noise (I don't class most of it as music; it's just noise) that is constantly pumped out. How is one supposed to think? Well, I guess preventing thinking is the idea. I like quiet. Silence, somebody said, is about having space. To think. A logical conclusion would be that most people don't like thinking but that's a bit pat. I think it's just that we can make a noise all the time so we do.

grannyactivist Sun 05-Jun-11 10:46:41

baggy I could have written your piece word for word - including not having a TV either!grin

heleena Sun 05-Jun-11 10:53:49

Background music on some programmes like news items can be very repetative and is very annoying. So is watching a film to the end wanting to see the credits and they all squash up - so much for seeing who that actor was!!

Joan Sun 05-Jun-11 11:58:58

Background music can be appalling both on TV and in stores: I particularly dislike loud music where I am shopping - it puts me off - I just leave without buying.

supernana Sun 05-Jun-11 12:44:46

Background pop music in shops, hotel foyers, inns and restaurants, drives me stark raving bonkers. How about a little soothing classical music for a change. The WORST time [for me] is as Christmas approaches [-round about October1st!] and the supermarket strikes up with "Do they know it's Christmas"...I feel like yelling - well, if we don't, there's something amiss. If I open a shop door and am assailed by ear-splitting so-called music, I put my purse away, turn around ,and try elsewhere.

baggythecrust! Sun 05-Jun-11 16:31:12

Heh heh! Maybe some of us should start a no telly club. Just returned from a meeting in a hotel where I actually realised that the background music in the ladies' loo was to drown out the sound of the air conditioning. Noise covered with more noise. Oh boy! As it happens, the music was quite nice but I'd go stark raving bonkers if I had to listen to ANY music or radio chat all day. And yet a lot of people don't seem to be able to live without it. Beats me!
The radio in my GP's surgery waiting room puts me off going there too. I was once the only patient waiting apart from a deaf lady. I pulled the plug. Sadly, they didn't get the message as it was on again next time. Sigh. I guess it's to cover conversations between the clerical staff — noise covering noise again.
I love, for instance, many of the J S Bach cantatas, but if someone wants to have a conversation with me, I'd rather turn it off. If I put music on, it's because I want to listen to it. If I'm doing something else other than say, ironing, I switch it off. Most of the time I just listen to the birds and forget about the CD player.

supernana Mon 06-Jun-11 17:17:34

There is so much beautiful classical music in this world of ours - surely, some soothing examples played in appropriate places at appropriate times would enrich many lives.

lucid Mon 06-Jun-11 21:52:02

supernana I worked in a supermarket and when the Christmas tapes came on they drove me mad but I soon got used to it and tuned it out all except for one song..Frosty the Snowman angry Even now if I hear this song my blood begins to boil....I won't tell you what I called Frosty but it certainly wasn't polite.