Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Radio 4 Extra

(7 Posts)
jackyann Mon 13-Jun-11 14:38:18

Eleanorre:
on my digital radio it is found next to radio 4. I don't know if it is available on non-digital radios, but you can definitely get it on-line.

em Sun 12-Jun-11 23:19:44

Have been an avid listener to radio 7/4 extra for ages but now find that BBC Alba - a gaelic TV channel - has taken over hours and hours of the broadcast time on freeview . Apparently something to do with available bandwidth (whatever that means!) It's late Sunday evening and I can't get 4 extra until midnight. Sorry - I am a loyal Scot but like the vast majority of Scots I do not speak Gaelic. Wonder who worked on the statistics and figured out that this new channel would be more popular than 4extra?
Is there a single grandsnetter out there who thinks this theft of my radio time is justified?

Eleanorre Sun 12-Jun-11 22:41:37

Where do I find it on the radio please ?

Annika Sun 12-Jun-11 22:08:41

I also like to listen to radio 4 extra ,but I usually listen to it on the iplayer while I am on my computer.
We have two digital radios in the house and sometimes I put radio 4 extra on while I am cooking , I like the old comedys, the Navy Lark and Dads Army are two of my favourites but the one not to be missed is I'm sorry I have'nt a clue

farmgal Sun 12-Jun-11 18:46:15

I'd never heard of Agatha Raisin before. Despite the brilliant Penelope Keith i did find the character difficult to warm to. Getting there now though!!
That's the beauty of 4Ex. It introduces you to all sorts of books that you'd never get to read or know about otherwise. My only gripe is that I prefered the comedy -10pm onwards as it was before on 7! Particularly dislike the repeating of what was on 4 the week before at 6.30.

jackyann Sun 12-Jun-11 12:18:09

Love it!
I love radio anyway, and one of my best-ever pressies was a digital radio with record facility. It is permanently set to record "crime hour" 6-7am on 4x as I enjoy most of whatever's on offer.
Recent bonus was Penelope Keith as Agatha Raisin. I had never "got on" with the books, finding the character unpleasant & unbelievable, but Ms. Keith brings her alive!

farmgal Sun 12-Jun-11 11:38:39

Is anyone else a fan of radio 4 Extra.? I find the Tv at night, particularly when it's violence or other trauma, seems to wind me up and I can't sleep. However dramatic stories are on the Radio I always find them relaxing. I wouldn't be without 'my friend in the corner', and have been a Radio 7, now 4Ex, for years.
It's a marvellous way to 'read books' without ever having to strain your eyes or turn a page.