Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Nicholas Parsons

(20 Posts)
Greatnan Mon 26-Mar-12 18:15:18

I can't believe he is 89 and still so quick witted. Just A Minute is now on TV (BBC2 ) for the first time.

Mishap Mon 26-Mar-12 18:22:45

Reminds one of Humph on I'm sorry I haven't a clue.
Good for him!

kittylester Mon 26-Mar-12 18:38:18

Love Just a Minute Greatnan, when is it on?

Annika Mon 26-Mar-12 18:38:45

Greatnan I have just watched it on BBC 2 ( I am not posh as DH thinks so in another thread ). It was very good , it is on again tomorrow at the same time .
I try to listen to it on the radio when ever I can also I loved I'm sorry I haven't a clue and Humph was so funny . I never really understood "Morningside Crescent but I have heard that it can be played on line with other people around the world hmm

Anne58 Mon 26-Mar-12 19:13:25

The whole thing of Mornington Crescent was that it didn't make any sense at all!

When Humph died, lots of people left flowers at Mornington Crescent Tube Station, which was lovely.

I always thought that Stephen Fry would be a good contender for hosting ISIHAC, but during the trials proved otherwise!

I think that Jack Dee does a good job, but no-one will ever be as excellent as Humph.

Annobel Mon 26-Mar-12 19:14:09

Does anyone understand 'Mornington Crescent'? My son and DiL went to a recording of I'm Sorry. They said a huge amount of editing had to be done, because Humph's sense of humour would not qualify for a pre-watershed broadcast.

gracesmum Mon 26-Mar-12 20:09:44

The point of Mornington Crescent is that it has no point! The 168 bus which I get to and from the Royal Free and Euston stops at Mornington Crescent Station and I always cheer (silently) When DH is with me we sometimes whisper our cheer.
Jack Dee does a good job, but nobody comes close to Humph. Stephen Fry tried too hard to be funny and came across as having a very high opinion of himself IMHO.

nanachrissy Mon 26-Mar-12 20:12:39

I've never really liked Nicholas Parsons much, but I must admit he is amazing for 89.
I wonder why some people stay so youthful and others are old at 50?

Gally Mon 26-Mar-12 20:19:30

I can't abide Just a Minute but I must say old Nick Parsons is amazing for his age grin

shysal Mon 26-Mar-12 20:23:09

I loved the Just a Minute programme last Sunday from India with two local comedians on the panel. I was sitting in the garden with earphones, the neighbours probably wondered why I kept laughing out loud! Apparently Nicholas has never missed a single show.

Carol Mon 26-Mar-12 21:25:35

I love Just a Minute - missed it tonight so I'll look out for it being on again. Apparently, he puts his longevity down to having power naps during the day!

Tosh Mon 26-Mar-12 21:30:32

We always watch Eggheads at 6pm (wine o'clock) wine ...so turned over as we can't stand Nicolas Parsons. We are keen BBC2 viewers late afternoon (from Flog It) until time for Emmerdale.
Maybe we'll give it a go tomorrow on your recommendations.

numberplease Mon 26-Mar-12 21:32:43

We don`t have a radio, haven`t for several years, so I loved it when they televised Just a Minute a few years back, and will be enjoying it yet again this time. I`ve been a Nicholas Parsons fan since he was a stooge for Arthur Haynes back when.

grannyactivist Mon 26-Mar-12 21:33:20

Love him or loathe him I think Nicholas Parsons does a great job of reminding people that 'old' is a state of mind.

feetlebaum Tue 27-Mar-12 13:32:34

The programme idea is older than they are saying... before Just A Minute there was One Minute Please, which was a very similar format. Gerrard Hoffnung was always particularly funny--whatever the subject he would start talking about his grandfather...

Greatnan Mon 02-Apr-12 18:21:23

I am really enjoying Just a Minute on TV. A great team tonight.

Annobel Mon 02-Apr-12 18:35:01

I've always found Just a Minute too frenetic for my liking; I never liked Kenneth Williams and Clement Freud. I don't see how televising it can add anything to a show which is essentially non-visual.

Carol Mon 02-Apr-12 18:42:49

I love Just a Minute, and some participants have really surprised me with their quick thinking - such good fun smile

nanachrissy Mon 02-Apr-12 18:53:23

I've never really liked Nicholas P but I must admit he is great on JAM. Very quick and amazing for his age.

MrsJamJam Mon 02-Apr-12 19:11:51

Can't stand Nicholas P and his voice irritates me so much that JAM is about the only programme where I dash across the kitchen to turn it off. Sounds like I am in a minority here.

Absolutely love Not a Clue, so am not entirely lacking in a sense of humour. Agree that Jack Dee is not Humph, but do think he has carried on the spirit of the double entendre very well.