Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Spiral II: Gangs of Paris

(15 Posts)
Jacey Sat 09-Jun-12 23:12:57

Did anyone else watch this? I know crimson mentioned it on another thread.

I missed the first series ...so don't know which characters have rolled over from that oneconfused Can any one help me with that?

But I hadn't realised the differences between our police hmm and our judicial system shock to that in France.

crimson Sun 10-Jun-12 00:15:31

I think I've seen series 3 and 4 so I'm sort of going backwards with this one. And, no I don't understand any of it, but it it fills my need for subtitles on Saturday nights smile. It's a bit like Eastenders [I'm guessing here because I don't watch it] in that everyone seems to have a relationship with everyone else, eventually.

gracesmum Sun 10-Jun-12 12:02:06

I am afraid I gave it about 2 minutes before giving up. I may have missed something really good, but all that "M. le procureur" stuff seemd so stilted and the body in the boot was just too much shock so I will have to bide my time until the next Scandinavian thriller!

crimson Sun 10-Jun-12 13:09:10

I know what you mean. It's a series that, if I had something better to do on a Saturday night I wouldn't hesitate to miss it. But I do like Caroline Proust as an actress, especially after watching the third series. Worryingly, it's co written by a policeman and is very authentic confused. She does a lot of ad libbing as well. You'll have missed the bit where they found some high heeled shoes in her office draw. Incredulously one of the offices asked 'do you wear these' to which she replied 'no, I just look at them!'.

greenmossgiel Sun 10-Jun-12 14:16:44

I watched it last night, and wish I had seen the first series. Very different 'forsensic' practices to those of the British police force - no white suits etc, and behaviour towards prisoners.....confused.
However, as crimson commented, it fulfils a need for subtitles on a Saturday night! I have so enjoyed the Scandinavian series that have been screened over the last wee while, and it means that there's something to watch on a Saturday night after all. Is Caroline Proust the woman police officer?

Jacey Sun 10-Jun-12 15:22:07

yes crimson that made me smile too ...wasn't much else to smile about in the opening episodes though hmm

Mamie Sun 10-Jun-12 15:27:38

Has it not been on before (haven't watched it yet)? I thought we had done 1, 2 and 3 already? I really like Gregory Fitoussi.

Jacey Sun 10-Jun-12 16:44:14

Yes Mamie ...it is a repeat ...but didn't see any of them. Think a series 4 is coming hmm

crimson Sun 10-Jun-12 17:01:33

I think the BBC part funded it but I never saw the first series. I am confused about which series I have seen as I definately haven't seen this one before [Laure with short hair was a shock]. Which means I have only seen series 3; but I thought I'd seen two series.

Jacey Mon 18-Jun-12 19:14:52

What did any one else think of the offering this weekend?

I cannot believe the nastiness in all aspects of the legal system ...or am I missing the point ...the eventual downfall of the lawyer and justice overcoming the money grubbing and political climbers in the judicial system?? shock

can anyone explain the French legal system to me? confused PLEASE

I've watched crime thrillers/dramas set, written in and produced by a huge range of countries through out the world ...and understood the system. Why am I having so much difficulty with this french one??

crimson Mon 18-Jun-12 20:14:35

Had a very early start on Saturday [saw the start of The Gate to Southwell in Nottingham, went to Belton House for the afternoon and then got to Southwell to see the Morris dancing in the Cathedral; yes folks, black faced Border Morris dancers being blessed in a Cathedral; doesn't get more surreal than that]; result was I fell asleep part way through the first episode. Will catch up tomorrow night.

Annobel Mon 18-Jun-12 20:20:29

Love Southwell Minster - that wonderful screen with carved heads on it. We often went there when we lived in Nottingham - many moons ago.

Lilygran Tue 19-Jun-12 11:57:11

Terrific programme and you learn so many new interesting French idioms........

crimson Sat 07-Jul-12 20:40:48

BBC4 tonight; Mesrine..sounds good! Two parter.

crimson Sat 07-Jul-12 22:50:59

Maybe not; terribly violent confused....