Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What's your favourite film?

(149 Posts)
Trishabellywelly Sun 10-Jun-12 07:32:15

It would be interesting to have a top ten of favourite films.�� i have two - Shirley Valentine and Shawshanks Redemption.

Trishabellywelly Sun 10-Jun-12 13:36:32

I forgot to add another truly EXCELLENT film that occasionally comes up on the telly. It's called The Secret of Santa Vittoria. Anyone else seen it?

Daisyanswerdo Sun 10-Jun-12 14:29:39

LA Story
Jour de Fete
Genevieve
Les Enfants du Paradis
Edward Scissorhands
Anything with Danny Kaye
Ivan the Terrible
Singin' in the Rain
The Full Monty
Cat Ballou

nanaej Sun 10-Jun-12 14:29:52

I would have to think long and hard to make a short list of ten & then I would have to cheat and have 10 best musicals, romance, thriller , comedy, western etc etc!

Did anyone see Le Quattro Volte on TV this week? It is a film I thoroughly enjoyed.

baNANA Sun 10-Jun-12 14:43:32

doresetpennt, I'm with you on Godfather 1 and 2, sublime. An old little known Stanley Kubrick film, Barry Lyndon visually very beautiful with a wonderful soundtrack, also the English Patient for same reasons. Love watching Brief Encounter for it's sheer Englishness from a bygone era. Epics such as Gone with the Wind and Dr Zhivago. American Beauty because it was so clever. I'm sure I've forgotten a lot.

feetlebaum Sun 10-Jun-12 14:46:41

"I love that story about Tolkein and the Inklings, but when I heard it, it was C. S. Lewis who said, "Oh no, not more f***ing elves". Perhaps that's because C. S. Lewis is better known than Hugo Dyson"

But the C.S. Lewis vacuum cleaner isn't up to much...

Ella46 Sun 10-Jun-12 14:58:21

feetle grin

Elegran Sun 10-Jun-12 15:12:29

I imagine both C S Lewis and Hugo Dyson had heard enough about elves to last them a lifetime. The quote could have come from either of them.

merlotgran Sun 10-Jun-12 20:28:22

My all time favourite film is Inn of the Sixth Happiness starring Ingrid Bergman and Kurt Jurgens. It's the story of the missionary Gladys Aylward. I'd just finished reading the serialization of The Small Woman in Girl magazine and going to see the film was a birthday treat. It used to pop up on telly now and again but I haven't seen it for ages.

TendringGran Sun 10-Jun-12 22:19:32

Off the top of my head- Love Actually; Maurice; Captain Corelli's Mandolin; Lawrence of Arabia; The Trap; Priest; The Full Monty; Brokeback Mountain; Pretty Woman.

Humbertbear Mon 11-Jun-12 08:12:17

My favourite triple bill:
Notorious with Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, Claude Rains
Now Voyager - Betty Davis, Paul Heinreid , Claude Rains
An Affair to Remember - Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr

We were in Mexico once on Mothers Day and they screened
Step - mom
Terms of Endearment
Steel Magnolias

As a triple bill.

Notsogrand Mon 11-Jun-12 08:21:38

I don't like any of the modern vampire movies/films, but my all time favourite movie is Lost Boys. Keifer Sutherland when he was gorgeous and an amazing soundtrack.

Butternut Mon 11-Jun-12 08:37:07

Still feeling stunned by Blood Wedding, a film I watched last night. It is Part One of the Flamenco Trilogy by Carlos Saura. Based on a play written in 1932.
Wonderful.

nanaej Mon 11-Jun-12 09:08:20

it is good butter!

I remember feeling really jittery after seeing old black and white horror movie 'Night of the Demon' when I was in my 20s!

nightowl Mon 11-Jun-12 12:19:49

Brief Encounter

Seabiscuit (sentimental heart warmer)

Any Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers film. Ok the plots are thin but just to see them dance..... And I used to watch them with my mum when I was a little girl and she would lift me up and swing me in the air like Ginger smile

Seventimesfive Mon 11-Jun-12 12:21:30

Some Like it Hot. Always guaranteed to make me laugh!

feetlebaum Mon 11-Jun-12 12:46:32

@ nanaej

Night of the Demon - I saw it in Cyprus at RAF Episkopi - for days after people were pushing charred bits of paper into one-another's hands... it really caught the imagination! Black and White scores again!

1945 joke: "It was in Technicolor, so it didn't need a plot..."

glammanana Mon 11-Jun-12 13:25:39

My most favourite has got to be Shirley Valentine I see something I recognise in my life every time I watch it I also find East is East hilarious and can watch it time and time again.

NfkDumpling Mon 11-Jun-12 17:41:53

Lord of the Rings was great, except that the hobbits were rather too goody goody. Read all the Harry Potter books in one rainy week before watching the films - they have to be one of my top favourites.
I find too that I tend towards light films with nice eye candy. Eg Pirates of the Carrabean, Men in Black, Shirley Valentine and Mama Mia.

NfkDumpling Mon 11-Jun-12 17:46:09

Oh, and Four Weddings, Notting Hill, Lawrence of Arabia and anything with Oliver Read or Colin Firth or ...... (there's a trend developing here isn't there)

Annobel Mon 11-Jun-12 18:11:36

Slum Dog Millionaire. Truly, Madly, Deeply. The Mash movie.

Annobel Mon 11-Jun-12 18:12:45

And how could I have forgotten Some Like it Hot?

JessM Mon 11-Jun-12 18:32:54

Some Like it Hot is indeed one of the all time classics annobel - Monroe in That Dress!!!

Daisyanswerdo Mon 11-Jun-12 19:13:49

How could I have forgotten Some Like It Hot and Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers? Charlie Chaplin too, especially The Gold Rush. And the Marx Brothers! Harpo! I'd better stop typing. I've got a clock which is Groucho's face with eyes leering from side to side. It's on the inside of my bathroom door (the only place for it). Do you know, when I'm in the bathroom, he stops leering, just stares straight ahead.

You will all be convinced I am completely barmy.

POGS Mon 11-Jun-12 20:14:32

Definately anything with Carry Grant in it.
Heaven can wait. (David Niven)
Dirty Dancing.
Sound of Music.
King and I.

All the wonderful black and white films I cannot remember what they are called but very clever and sentimental.

crimson Mon 11-Jun-12 22:28:45

I agree about Seabiscuit. What makes it so good is that it's pretty much based on fact; the horse did survive a life threatening injury and his jockey survived a career threatening one..he did bring hope to people during the depression. The book is probably one of the best books about sport ever written. Boy did I cry at the end of it! [the film, that is]. He's buried on his owners estate, but he never told anyone where the grave was.