Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Switching off your Sky/Freesat box

(18 Posts)
Greatnan Thu 12-Jul-12 16:33:03

I have just been advised on another forum that I should only switch off my laptop, TV, or digibox if I am going to be away for more than a few days. Apparently, the surge when you switch on is very bad for the device.
I do leave my TV/Freesat box on Standby overnight, but sometimes it freezes and the only way to get it going again is to unplug it from the mains.
The person who gave this advice said that the amount of electricity used is minimal and much less expense than having to repair/replace your equipment.

lucid Thu 12-Jul-12 18:23:12

I've just asked my DS, who works in IT, and when he'd finished laughing at my question said that its OK to switch them off and not to worry. smile

greenmossgiel Thu 12-Jul-12 19:10:42

I wondered about that too, about my modem for my Virgin Broadband. The modem is in the bedroom and has a blue light on it that lights up the room when it's dark - and I need a dark room to sleep in! Do you think it's ok to turn it off every night? confused

Annika Thu 12-Jul-12 19:26:22

greenmossgiel I can put my BT modem 'to sleep' at night so only a small orange light is on, are you able to do that with your modem or are you able to turn the modem around so the the light does not shine at you ?

Anagram Thu 12-Jul-12 19:32:56

Or cover the light up?

greenmossgiel Thu 12-Jul-12 19:59:07

It's a bright blue light, like the sort on a police car, and whichever way I turn it, it will glow. I could try to cover it, though...! Thank you both! smile

Anagram Thu 12-Jul-12 20:04:50

A cut out circle of black insulating tape might work!

greenmossgiel Thu 12-Jul-12 20:14:55

That would be ideal, Anagram - I'll go and have a rootle in 'is toolbox....grin

Elegran Fri 13-Jul-12 12:02:20

Don't know about the BT one, but when my Virgin Media modem kept dropping out and failing (at least once a day, usually in the middle of something) the advice was to turn it off and unplug it for two minutes then turn it back on. That would cure it for a while.

So turning it off at night would have got rid of the blue light without harming it.

(Making a fuss until they installed a new and better one, with integral wi-fi router, worked even better and cut down the number of cables getting tangled around each other)

Nannynet2 Sun 07-Oct-12 13:10:23

My tv has been saying No Signal for the last 6 days now since 1st Oct 12.
I have tried retuning, changing aerials, but nothing is working, Argos won't take it back as it is 16 months old and out of the 12 month guarantee, the DVD works ok, but I can't get rid of the No Signal, and bank screen. I don't want to have to pay expensive repair bills for a TV that is almost new. Advice please? much appreciated, and thanks.

Barrow Sun 07-Oct-12 13:36:48

Nannynet2 I think you may be covered under the Sale of Goods Act. Although the 12 month guarantee is out it is reasonable to expect the TV to still be working after only 16 months, if it doesn't then it could be said the TV was not fit for purpose. I'm not an expert but I seem to remember Martin Lewis commenting on this on Radio 2 some time ago.

Nannynet2 Sun 07-Oct-12 13:41:43

thanks Barrow, I mentioned this to Argos yesterday, and they offered to send a repair man to fix it at my expense, I said No, as this could cost more than the price of the bush TV, fully HD, DVD, Freeview. that stopped working, could you please tell me if you know how I go about this, I am 69 quite bright but not sure about this, thanks.

Barrow Sun 07-Oct-12 13:44:27

Nannynet as I said I'm no expert, just something I heard Martin Lewis talking about - perhaps you could check out his website moneysavingexpert.com. He always has lots of good advice about consumer matters.

Nannynet2 Sun 07-Oct-12 14:02:22

Ok thanks Barrow, I will find out, have a good day. x

Greatnan Sun 07-Oct-12 17:24:05

I would ask to see the store manager and say that your consumer group had advised you that under the sale of goods act the goods had to be fit for purpose, which this TV clearly is not. Mention the Trading Standards Officer at your local council - and say it all loudly, especially if there are other people in the shop. I never fall for the extended warranties, which are a rip off and get the sales assistant more commission than the actual goods sold.
I have used this method to get a computer replaced after 15 months, and I got an upgrade for my inconvenience. You have to look and sound sure of yourself (I don't find that a problem!).

FlicketyB Sun 07-Oct-12 20:53:55

I believe under EC consumer law you can claim 'not fit for purpose' for up to six years after purchase.

Greatnan Sun 07-Oct-12 21:07:49

That is true, but it does not mean the goods would have been expected to last for six years - it depends on their nature. Large white goods would certainly be expected to last five years, but for smaller electrical items it might need an 'expert' opinion.
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

effblinder Mon 08-Oct-12 09:12:48

Hi nannynet2,

It sounds like this might be to do with the digital switchover - analogue signal is being switched off across the UK, so you need to connect your TV to a digital signal. But I don't know why Argos wouldn't have mentioned it!

There's more information on this website: www.digitaluk.co.uk/