Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Downton Abbey

(91 Posts)
proudnana Mon 17-Sep-12 12:35:19

Who watched it last night? I have it saved on catch up, so will start this thread and then put my fingers in my ears so as not to hear any spoilers...

Barrow Sun 30-Dec-12 15:50:43

I think I must be the only person who has never watched this programme. (Pause for gasps of disbelief!).

There are very few things that I watch where you have to watch for weeks on end otherwise you can't follow the story. Probably why I watch so little TV and rely on DVDs instead!

crimson Sun 30-Dec-12 15:41:43

Did someone shoot him? And was it all a dream? deja vu.....

gracesmum Sun 30-Dec-12 15:39:39

You mean it's not real?? Nobody told me! shock

Ylil Sun 30-Dec-12 15:35:45

And it is tv.

Mishap Sat 29-Dec-12 17:40:25

He looked pretty dead to me! - but then again he has already made a miracle recovery from a spinal injury so anything is possible!

Ylil Sat 29-Dec-12 17:15:31

Of course, he may not be dead. Perhaps the writers wanted to leave their options open in case he decides not to leave the cast in the next series.

merlotgran Fri 28-Dec-12 21:04:39

It's all got a bit silly. There were hints at the beginning that Lady Mary was pregnant, even though she didn't look it. She dances a reel which brings on twinges of premature labour, pops on a train to return home - don't they have hospitals in Scotland? Gives birth to a baby that in those days probably wouldn't have survived due to lack of advanced neo-natal care and the doting father is then seen cuddling a bonny baby that looks about a week old. hmm

Mishap Fri 28-Dec-12 19:43:11

Blimey! - heaven forfend that there eshould be a happy ending!

Ana Wed 26-Dec-12 19:44:13

grin

crimson Wed 26-Dec-12 19:36:03

..she says realising that she's making a point of watching the programme about The Moomins tonight....

crimson Wed 26-Dec-12 19:34:54

...ok I know it's not really real blush....

crimson Wed 26-Dec-12 19:34:21

I gave up after the first series [which I loved] but caught a bit last night whilst the S.O. was watching it. I kept pointing out that I thought such and such a character was blind/crippled/incurably ill etc only to be told they had made miracle recoveries. At which point I was glad that I'd stopped watching it; there is a limit to how many times one can suspend disbelief....

Ana Wed 26-Dec-12 18:48:33

Ooh, I love a bit of melodrama! grin

nanaej Wed 26-Dec-12 18:44:52

Wot a load of tosh! It has got more melodramatic with each episode and last night was the worst..will not be picking up the new series!

Ana Wed 26-Dec-12 18:23:03

I'd heard he was leaving, but didn't expect it to happen last night! It certainly won't be the same without him...sad. I was also a bit taken aback by Lady Mary's sudden transformation back into bitchy mode - I thought the point was that she'd become a nicer person after all the trials and tribulations of the three series! confused

NfkDumpling Wed 26-Dec-12 18:10:03

Brilliant! I'm going to miss him!

shysal Wed 26-Dec-12 18:02:36

Did anyone see yesterday's Downton Christmas special? I thoroughly enjoyed it, but what an ending! We were left in no doubt in the last scene. sad sad

yogagran Fri 23-Nov-12 23:20:31

It's been announced today that Downton Abbey will return for a fourth series in autumn 2013

And this is a Spoiler Warning - don't look if you want to keep it secret, but this link will reveal some of the Christmas Special plot:

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/downton-abbey/9699693/Downton-Abbey-Christmas-Special-plot-details-revealed.html

Lilygran Wed 17-Oct-12 09:37:51

And I was moved by Lady Sybil's death as well. Excellent actors, superb sets, wonderful costumes......pity about the plot!

Lilygran Wed 17-Oct-12 09:34:49

The Downton plot lines are silly, but not nearly as silly as the new New Tricks. I can see why James Bolam decided to leave if he'd seen the scripts. Nothing to do with the actors, they carry it along as well as they can. I'm waiting for someone to go and have a shower........

merlotgran Wed 17-Oct-12 09:09:59

I think I'll pass on that, thanks, Tony.

Ella46 Wed 17-Oct-12 07:50:31

Who cares? I enjoy it for what it is....very light entertainment on a Sunday night. smile

crimson Wed 17-Oct-12 01:48:04

Well, at least it hasn't got a talking head floating in a tank. Or a man having his naughty bits lathered by a nurse. I could go on....

TonyGosling Wed 17-Oct-12 01:41:40

Please please please

This show has all the appearance but absolutely NONE of the content or storytelling ability of pre 1990 BBC or any UK TV period drama.

It's like it's all written by some hideous machine that has never heard of Dennis Potter nor watched his Royal Television Society Lecture back in 1993

Dennis Potter 1993 MacTaggart lecture Edinburgh
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlAbeI-Vst8

merlotgran Tue 16-Oct-12 21:17:45

I hope the Bates story soon gets sorted. I'm getting bored with it now.