Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Quartet

(29 Posts)
MaggieP Fri 21-Dec-12 13:52:34

Has anyone read all the advance publicity about the film Quartet, opening in January.
It's about retired Opera singers in a retirement home ( ? Shades of Marigold), excellent cast of Tom Courtenay, Maggie Smith, Billy Connolly, Pauline Collins, Tom Conti etc.
I believe it is a film well worth going to see.

MiceElf Sun 14-Apr-13 20:19:03

Husband doesn't want to go because he says he couldn't bear to have the music interrupted.

annodomini Sun 14-Apr-13 19:51:01

Bitter-sweet, I'd call it, Hunt.

Hunt Sun 14-Apr-13 18:54:50

Was it supposed to be a comedy? I found it just too,too sad. Pauline Collins stole the show. I cried.

Mishap Sun 14-Apr-13 18:06:46

Just come back from the cinema - enoyed it enormously. Wonderful music,and it was good to see who was who in the credits. They used real musicians in their latter years - how good to see someone really playing an instrument in a film rather than miming.

Billy Connolly of course stole the show - playing himself really!

My only criticism is that none of them looked old enough or frail enough to be in a home in the first place! Anyone who could stride about as they did would be living at home. I thought they should have made more of an attempt to get the actors to move in an older way - Billy Connelly strode round the grounds better than I could!! - and Pauline Collins was positively sprightly!

dorenaasaysgivemea Fri 15-Mar-13 09:33:07

Billy Connoly is Amazinggg, but fed of the sterotype of old people we are young and free come on who agreesss??

annodomini Sun 27-Jan-13 22:53:00

I loved it. I had heard that the film was full of stereotypes of old age. I think not. The characters were not caricatures - even Maggie Smith (forgive me, Downton fans) was not hamming it up. Pauline Collins played the part of a woman suffering the onset of dementia with surprising diginity. Why did Michael Gambon have to dress as if he was still playing Dumbledore in the Harry Potter films? For me it was Tom Courtenay's performance - his repressed emotions gradually defrosting - that sustained the film.

annodomini Wed 23-Jan-13 18:20:49

Going to see it at the weekend. Sounds good.

gracesmum Wed 23-Jan-13 17:30:26

Also just back from Quartet with a friend from my Lit class - and loved it. Not quite as rose-tinted glasses as I was expecting - getting old, even in the luxurious surroundings of the Beecham Home for the Musical Confused and Bewildered is a Cissie says "Not for sissies" - still slightly depressing, but lovely lovely film with fabulous cast. (All of 6 people in the cinema including us!!)

Gally Thu 10-Jan-13 17:10:03

Just seen it - loved it. If I have to, hope I land up in a home like that wink

Ian42 Thu 10-Jan-13 16:35:03

Just watched Quartet today, brilliantly watchable, enjoyed the great storyline. Dame Maggie Smith stole the film for me. 10/10.

Ariadne Mon 07-Jan-13 21:50:48

Just got back from seeing it and having a lovely birthday meal afterwards - met friends outside the cinema so we took off together.

I really enjoyed the film; it was gentle and often poignant, and while Maggie Smith was great, I think Pauline Collins' portrayal of an increasingly confused but lovely woman was excellent.

So what if they are marketing to the grey pound? I don't mind at all!

Sel Mon 07-Jan-13 16:50:29

The power of the 'grey' pound - biggest growth audience for films now. Hurray!

MaggieP Mon 07-Jan-13 16:20:45

Just seen the film and was not disappointed. It was delightful, funny, sad and with such excellent music and scenery. Dustin Hoffman deserves to be congratulated.
Well worth a visit.

Lilygran Sun 06-Jan-13 22:06:47

It's a gentle comedy but even so makes some valid points about what happens to very gifted people when their gifts begin to leave them. And this is comparable to the feelings of any of us whether gifted or not, when we face diminished powers. This is no less vald for being treated with a light touch.

NfkDumpling Sun 06-Jan-13 21:18:15

A friend went to see it yesterday. Said it was excellent.

nanaej Sun 06-Jan-13 21:16:18

It got a positive review in The Observer today. I heard Hoffman talking about making the film (he is getting on now!) and he was quite realistic about the fact that films tell stories which sometimes gloss over the truth or else magnify it!

Sound like it will be entertaining which is why I go to the cinema. If I want facts about care homes I will watch a documentary or read a report!

FlicketyB Sun 06-Jan-13 20:07:37

Am I alone in thinking that these films about older people carefully marketed at older people are somewhat patronising. If I decide to go and see anything, film, play etc it is because the film, play etc examines some aspect of the human condition in a way that sounds interesting and appeals to me. The age of the characters is irrelevant.

I have not seen the film but my experience of care homes is that the vast majority of residents are there because their dementia/memory problems have deteriorated to such an extent that they can no longer live at home, even with carers. As understand in this film 3 of the 4 characters are fully compos mentis and only one is showing mild signs of forgetfullness. The scenarion sounds highly improbable.

MaggieP Sun 06-Jan-13 11:49:07

Going tomorrow to a 1pm showing at a small, friendly local cinema. It does sound rather good.

Ella46 Sun 06-Jan-13 11:45:13

I saw this last week (Orange wed), and I really enjoyed it too. It's not as good as Marigold Hotel and seemed a bit short, but the house and grounds were lovely.
Pity all oldies can't go to homes like that!

I saw BillyC on the Review show(BBC2) on Friday night, and he said he'd ad-libbed quite a lot, and Dustin H had left them in the film.

ginny Sun 06-Jan-13 11:31:07

Just wanted to add that I think it,s a pity Billy Connoly doesn.t keep his hair and 'tash as it is in the film. He is actually rather a good looking chap.

gracesmum Sun 06-Jan-13 11:27:37

This sounds like one for us (in the same way as Best Marigold Hotel) - I bet the cinema will be full of oldies when the lights go up!

Marelli Sun 06-Jan-13 10:01:31

Keeping an eye open for it coming to our wee local cinema. Not often that there's something that's really worth going to see! hmm

Ariadne Sun 06-Jan-13 09:49:11

Going to see it tomorrow!

Lilygran Sun 06-Jan-13 09:46:39

We went to see it last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. And although it was an early showing, there were quite a few people there (often only one or two) So I hope that means it will be a great success. Brilliant acting (as you would expect from that cast) and good plot (Ronald Harwood). No nasty surprises, no violence, no cruelty. Well done, Dustin Hoffman.

ginny Sun 06-Jan-13 09:15:22

We went to see this yesterday. Fabulous cast. The film moves slowly but is funny and moving in parts. Wonderful music and lovely setting. Read some reviews that were not too good but of course the film does not have blood, gore ,sex scenes or car chases so obviously can't be much good ! We enjoyed it.