Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Lincoln

(19 Posts)
MaggieP Thu 31-Jan-13 13:36:17

Has anyone seen this film and what are their impressions? DH and I are thinking of going next week.

Nonu Thu 31-Jan-13 13:45:17

Supposed to very good . I have not seen it as find the Dolby Sound hurts my ears .

Will have to wait for it to arrive on Cable.

Incidentally , this is the 50th anniversary of his death.

sunshine

Nonu Thu 31-Jan-13 13:46:02

PS did the hoiday go well ? You nice and brown ?

BAnanas Thu 31-Jan-13 13:58:21

Hi MaggieP, we went to see Lincoln last night. It's very long, 2 and a half hours. I don't know what I expected, but I have to say it was quite boring it's focus was the passing of the 13th amendment which was a real close thing. There are some bloody civil war battlefields that feature, particularly at the beginning, but all in all it's really all about the politics and concludes with his assassination I think it's a film that will resonate more with Americans being an incredibly important part of their fairly brief history. Nevertheless, Daniel Day Lewis does a wonderful job with his portrayal of Abraham Lincoln.

Tegan Thu 31-Jan-13 13:59:11

Just been talking about this on the Les Mis thread [going tonight]. Not expecting to like it; think it will be Spielberged ie over long and over sentimental; have gone off Daniel Day Lewis in recent years [wonder how he did his method acting thing with this one?] and am feeling negative towards it in that I fear it will win Oscars that should be won by Life of Pi.

BAnanas Thu 31-Jan-13 14:07:51

Nonu - Don't think you mean the 50th anniversary of his death cause it would only be 1913, and we GNs would still be waiting for the vote! MaggieP forgot to mention I did drop off to sleep in a bit of it!

Nonu Thu 31-Jan-13 14:17:19

Misled you , missed off a hundred , also "The Civil War" .

Checking who was awake ? Chortle !!

glammanana Thu 31-Jan-13 14:24:23

I will wait and see what everyone says about it,mostly I hve found only the best bits are shown on TV as trailers and the actual films turn out to be quite boring in the past.
nonu I am hopeless with dates I could never get my Kings & Queens right at school what a 100yrs between friends anyway grin

glammanana Thu 31-Jan-13 14:25:10

should read "whats" S got stuck.

Tegan Thu 31-Jan-13 14:29:28

I think it's going to be a long night sad...

MaggieP Thu 31-Jan-13 14:35:13

Thanks BAnanas and Nonu for your input. Maybe will wait until it is on DVD! Perhaps we will go and see" The Impossible" now back from Thailand.
We had a really lovely restful time in a very quiet area near Krabi. Tan has faded rapidly but still have brown arms and legs....
If you ever saw the film The Beach with Leonardo Di Caprio you will know the area we were near. Beautiful scenery grin

Nonu Thu 31-Jan-13 17:24:59

TA Glamma , as you say 100 years between friends , drop in the proverbial !

My daughter went to Krabi , loved it , i did see the film with Decaprio , very good .

moon

trendygran Thu 31-Jan-13 21:03:42

Went to see Lincoln earlier today. Didn't expect to enjoy it half as much as Les Mis, but found it strangely emotional and the time went quite quickly. The acting is brilliant and somehow draws you into the plot. Would recommend it even if you don't know the history,as I didn't. Couldn't stand History about wars when at school.

Tegan Thu 31-Jan-13 21:27:31

Couldn't understand what anyone was saying or who anyone was. Covered myself with my coat and tried to sleep through it, but couldn't sad. I understand it's broken all box office records in America, but I pity any 12 year olds that have been taken to see it.

Tegan Fri 01-Feb-13 21:28:12

Have just finished watching all 11 hours of the Ken Burns Civil War documentary and feel that I now understand Abraham Lincoln and the American people. The film didn't do that [ok it didn't have 11 hours to play with]. I knew very little about Lincoln before I saw the film and don't think I would have learned much from the film had I not done my homework first. I'm very bemused by it.

BoomerBabe Fri 15-Mar-13 13:04:14

I started watching it on a long haul flight but, yawn yawn, gave up after about 20 minutes and watched Argo instead...brilliant!

silvercharm Sat 30-Mar-13 08:21:11

BoomerBabe - I did exactly the same on a long haul flight! Argo won me over, even with the over-egged pro-US sentiment. Have since seen Lincoln and can recommend. It is long, but stirring, powerful performances. It sent me searching for some further quotes of his. What an interesting and fascinating man. Probably best captured for me in Gore Vidal's Lincoln!

Bez Sat 30-Mar-13 08:32:22

I absolutely loved Lincoln - I was so engrossed that it did not seem long to me. I found it interesting in how they portrayed Lincoln as the man as well as the President. I thought they concluded the film well and the way it would have affected his young son. I did not go to see Argo as it is once again USA rewriting history and leaving out the part the Brits played - that sort of thing really annoys me - if you are doing a recent historical story then get it right!!

Gally Sat 30-Mar-13 20:41:43

I too started to watch it on a long haul flight but after about 25 minutes I was losing the will to live and gave up!