Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Antiques Road Show

(12 Posts)
shysal Sun 17-Mar-13 20:36:05

This evening I downloaded the app for guessing the valuations on the programme, having previously used the red button version. My score was absolutely rubbish, only getting 3 correct.
Does anyone else play along, and how do you fare?

NfkDumpling Sun 17-Mar-13 21:26:22

I hate to admit - but you beat me - only two correct! But I think I should have half points for changing a couple from the right valuation.

Deedaa Sun 17-Mar-13 21:33:11

I always have a go when they do the Basic, Better, Best competition. I've been spot on once or twice but totally wrong in all the others so I'm not giving up the Day Job!

goldengirl Mon 18-Mar-13 09:23:21

I've never done that but I enjoy guessing the valuation - and also commenting on the items purchased in Bargain Hunt which is another favourite of mine. I love poking around in car boots and 'emporia' but never find THE bargain of the year.

numberplease Mon 18-Mar-13 16:16:09

When Antiques Roadshow came to Boston a few years back, I went along with one of my DILs, but was quite disappointed at things. Having brought a few different things, we understandably had to see different experts, which invariably meant queuing for ages each time. And whereas the programme gives the impression that things are inspected and valued on screen, what actually happened was that if they saw anything that they thought was worth anything, that person was asked to be available later in the day for filming.

Jadey Tue 19-Mar-13 00:01:09

Hello shysal My DH plays along with In It To Win it,(The Lottery quiz show) it is fun. We do watch Antiques road show and love itsmile

NfkDumpling Sun 24-Mar-13 21:02:48

Didn't do any better this week! I thought I'd guessed the wine bottle correctly, but he turned it round to show the seal after time was up. I think that's cheating.

NfkDumpling Sun 07-Apr-13 21:05:46

Dead chuffed! Tonight I got 9 right out of 17 - which apparently makes me a connoisseur!

Mishap Sun 07-Apr-13 22:02:08

I always thought that if Antiques Roadshow were to come here I would take a very nice 19th century plate that I bought in a flea market - lovely colours and I would be interested to know what it is worth. However it fell off eh shelf the other day and is now broken! Hmmmm - the only item of any possible value that we possess - darn!

NfkDumpling Sun 07-Apr-13 22:08:45

Well, that Chinese vase tonight was stuck together like a jigsaw and was still worth a bit - you never know!

goldengirl Mon 08-Apr-13 17:55:14

Last night was the first time I'd done it. I was rated as an Enthusiast smile. My valuations were on the high side I fear. Good fun though. I flicked from one colour to the next until the last moment. It certainly made me pay attention to what was being said.

NfkDumpling Mon 08-Apr-13 18:32:17

I know that really it's complete fluke whether I hit the right guess, but my average is going up (got 2 last time)