Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The War of the Worlds

(8 Posts)
Greatnan Sat 13-Apr-13 13:49:27

I am watching this - of course, the special effects are nowhere near as good as they are today. However, what annoyed me was that the female lead was portrayed as a snivelling hysteric, needing constant protection. I don't think the women who kept Britian going during the blitz would recognise themselves in her.

Movedalot Sat 13-Apr-13 14:18:34

I've got it on CD with Richard Burton and David Essex (not sure how they managed that?) and listen to it on my iPod. Love it. In Woking they have an enourmous piece of 'art' to remind everyone every time they go shopping.

Tegan Sat 13-Apr-13 14:34:56

Annoyingly missed it when it was on tour last Autumn; we'd heard that the guy from Kaiser Chiefs was in it so wanted to see it this time [if something keeps touring year after year it must be good] but forgot to check when it was on sad.

sunseeker Sat 13-Apr-13 15:01:28

I wasn't impressed with the Tom Cruise version, but then I am not impressed with Tom Cruise (although he speaks very highly of me grin)

tanith Sat 13-Apr-13 15:50:10

I too have it on CD and play it often in the car on a long journey love the music and Richard Burton's narration is wonderful, but not impressed with the version they showed today the original film was very atmospheric and much more watchable even if it is terribly dated now.

Greatnan Sat 13-Apr-13 16:05:51

The original Radio play was so realistic that many Ameicans panicked, thinking it was true. I don't think many people would have been convinced by this film. Does anybody else get annoyed when women in SciFi films are portrayed as helpless idiots? I think things have got much better in recent films.

Movedalot Sat 13-Apr-13 16:16:19

In any films, not just in sci-fi!

Deedaa Sat 13-Apr-13 21:05:53

I thought the Tom Cruise version was quite good - better than I expected anyway. If only Americans didn't always have the obligatory child in everything.
I've always enjoyed the old film, although I always feel sorry for the poor martians dying at the end.