Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Digital Humans

(9 Posts)
specki4eyes Mon 15-Apr-13 22:53:28

Did anyone hear this programme on Radio 4 this afternoon. The bit I caught was defining the value of online social networking. It was an amazing insight into how and why sites such as Gransnet are so significant in helping people deal with major life problems as well as the minutiae of minor events. If anyone can listen to it retrospectively could they send the link please - I'm not too savvy.

Fantoosh Tue 16-Apr-13 11:01:24

Yes it was fascinating and started me on this, my first ever chat. The only way I know to listen again is to go into the BBC website and click Radio, then iPlayer, then you can select any programme to listen to again. I'm no techy but it's easy and I do it quite often.

glassortwo Tue 16-Apr-13 11:08:49

here is the broadcast

Think this the one, hope it works smile

annodomini Tue 16-Apr-13 11:47:44

Welcome to Gransnet, Fantoosh. I like the name. Do I detect a fellow Scot?

Fantoosh Tue 16-Apr-13 12:17:37

Thank you Annodomini, and yes you are quite right. I had no idea that the name was Scottish though, to me it was just the pet name my father used when I was young. Are you allowed to elucidate or are we all supposed to keep to the original topic? I'd be interested to learn how the name gave my origins away!

annodomini Tue 16-Apr-13 12:31:33

I have never heard the word used south of the border, and not sure it's used much in Scotland either. Google confirms what I thought - that it means a bit pretentious. If someone was dressed up to the nines, inappropriately, she could be described as being 'fantoosh'! But I feel sure that doesn't describe you! Did your father come from the west of Scotland?

glassortwo Tue 16-Apr-13 12:39:29

My MIL used it alot in the North East, she often gave my DD the name, I could hear her saying it when I read the name. smile

Hello Fantoosh sorry I didnt welcome you, I was more intent on getting the link up for specki

Fantoosh Tue 16-Apr-13 12:59:17

Thanks glassortwo, and annodomini for the information - I never thought to look it up on google, but now you mention it I loved dressing up as a princess so 'pretentious' would probably sum it up nicely . . . . We were from North East Scotland as it happens.

Already Gransnet has been more interesting than I ever expected!

Galen Tue 16-Apr-13 13:39:50

Wellcome Fantoosh