Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Radio 4 Extra

(10 Posts)
GrandmaH Sun 21-Apr-13 13:15:56

I discovered this radio station by accident a few weeks ago. It is brilliant for doing the ironing/housework/dog walking to. In the morning they have repeats of all the old comedy shows- a lot of them even before MY time but I love hearing I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again again. I didn't know Morcombe & Wise had even been on the radio before thier TV series.
Then in the afternoon they have detective series & they do a lot of drama too. I got quite chilled listening to A Turn of the Screw - luckily in daylight while I was ironing.
I wish I could ge it in the car but I can't ( yet).

auntieboddie Sun 21-Apr-13 13:26:09

Hello Grandma H
I absolutely love this station. There are no annoying news breaks or travel updates every half hour, no advertising jingles-just well read dramas and short stories in the morning-perfect background for doing a bit of cross-stitching or crochet for me.

Tegan Sun 21-Apr-13 13:29:26

I have that problem with R6 in the car [or not in the car]. What do I have to do to get digital staions in my car [if I can]. I'm getting more and more confused with technology [can't record anything now I can't use videos either blush. Like the sound of R4 Extra. Do they have Round the Horne on [or is that going back too far?].

Nelliemoser Sun 21-Apr-13 13:55:16

And the Navy Lark! The Men from the Ministry! etc.
Can't get it in the car though. The trouble is I need to wean myself off Radio 4 first.

feetlebaum Sun 21-Apr-13 13:57:20

I haven't bothered with it since it stopped being Radio 7 (or before that BBC 7).

Daft, I call it...

auntieboddie Sun 21-Apr-13 14:12:57

Sorry. not sure how the classics, literature or comedy, can be classed as
daft. But then I don't like Coronation Street, Eastenders or any other soap-guess that's just me.

FlicketyB Sun 21-Apr-13 21:18:36

Radio 4 Extra is only available on digital, so if you do not have a digital radio you can not listen to it. Only a few upmarket cars come with digital radio.

I have a digital radio but use it relatively little, the problem is we have quite a big house and I usually carry the radio from room to room when I am listening, depending what I am doing, and I find that digital radio reception, like FM reception is not reliable and if the radio is put down on the 'wrong' side of the room or in a room at the front of the house reception is very poor. Whereas my little analogue radio that can receive long wave gives me a reliable signal no matter which room I am in or where in the room I put the radio.

I also find that although my digital radio is meant to work on mains or batteries, it does not work well on batteries and when I got in contact with the manufacturer's helpline they were absolutely gobsmacked that I should want to run my radio on batteries.

DH is quite put out. It was quite an expensive radio and he bought it for me as a Christmas present so that I would be able to listen to the extra programmes as I wandered round the house. In fact it lives in the kitchen plugged into the mains in the one place I can get reasonable reception.

Tegan Sun 21-Apr-13 23:09:59

I've got a digital radio but tend to listen to Radio 6 on the telly or the pooter [both of them being much louder].

GrandmaH Mon 22-Apr-13 11:23:22

At last- DH worked out that if I plug my pocket DAB radio into socket in car I can listen to 4 extra (& any other station) through that. Apparently my phone will do it too but let's not blind me with technology!!
I switch between 4 extra, radio 4 & Absolute depending on what is on offer.

I cannot praise my pocket DAB enough- I have it in my back pocket while gardening, walking dog, going round house doing housework, sunbathing(I can just remember what that is!!)- saves moving the radio with me all the time.

Best present DH ever bought me ( closely follwed by Kindle). I don't think it was massively expensive & i use it every single day.I do get through earphones at a rate on knots though as I am always yanking it in & out of jeans.

And YES they do have Round The Horne-lovely & very non PC!!

GrandmaH Mon 22-Apr-13 11:24:26

BTW- no batteries- it is re-chargable like the phone.