Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The One Show's Alex Jones

(77 Posts)
specki4eyes Tue 09-Jul-13 10:07:38

If there is already a thread relating to this irritating girl, forgive me but I have to comment on the banality and crassness of her presenting style after she gushed at Andy Murray last night.

For her to fire the ridiculous and uncalled question to him about any impending marriage to Kim, just makes me question even further what on earth the BBC are thinking, employing such a dope. He had already, earlier in the day, swatted that other lightweight, Holly somebody, out of the way with the response that it was none of her business, only for her to ask him again!

Even her fellow presenter Matt, who I used to respect, his sunk to her level now - gushing sycophants the pair of them. I know its a lightweight programme but does that mean the BBC has to seek the lowest common denominator in its programme content?

Yes, as usual when I happen upon the One Show, I very quickly found the off button. Result BBC!

annodomini Fri 30-Aug-13 15:43:20

I do hope Alex Jones's mum isn't a g'netter! If Alex was my daughter (or granddaughter) I would be very proud

PRINTMISS Fri 30-Aug-13 15:34:46

Me too, overthehill not too demanding, sometimes informative and at least they are not screaming into the mike and mainly seem to get along well.

overthehill Fri 30-Aug-13 13:24:15

Oh what a lot of Victor Meldrewesses.

I don't find her irritating at all, in fact I like her much better than Christine Bleakly who used to present it with Adrian Chiles.

It's a mainly light hearted programme which I find fits in quite well at the time of night

NfkDumpling Thu 29-Aug-13 21:27:54

grin

merlotgran Thu 29-Aug-13 20:18:04

Did anyone spot tonight's 'Jonesism'?

They showed Jamie Oliver a headline saying, JAMIE for PM

He joked, 'Does that mean at night?'

Alex Jones replied, 'No, the paper was today!!' hmm

Deedaa Tue 23-Jul-13 15:32:28

I like Sian Williams, she seems to be able to switch between serious and trivial items without coming over as condescending or superficial. And speaks clearly!

petra Tue 23-Jul-13 14:23:34

I've never forgotten the incident that made me dislike that woman sooo much.
It was a piece on the carnage of WW1; something I feel very strongly about. The piece had ended ( back to studio) she actually said: oh well!!! With that bloody grin, no comment, no understanding of what she had been watching.
I never watch ANYTHING with her in it.

Can't we have more of Sian Williams. I never tired of her on ' Breakfast'
The only time I 'see' her is on Radio 4 Saturday morning.

kittylester Mon 22-Jul-13 21:02:39

Having just watched Luisa Baldini reporting on the new baby, I can forgive most.people anything!!!!

MikefromBristol Mon 22-Jul-13 17:48:57

Reading this thread has made me realise why I rarely watch anything other than the sports channels. I have grown to dislike the majority of the celebrities mentioned.
Getting back to the opening poster's question, I find Alex Jones to be extremely irritating in every sense, both visual and audio. Matt Baker is just suffering from over exposure. Unless there is a decent cricket match on tonight, I will be leaving the TV to the LOML and tweeting. :-)
Grumpy old man - Bristol

mrsmopp Mon 22-Jul-13 17:16:11

Some of the errors are hilarious e.g.

The Queen spent her birthday on her own.
Came up as:
The Queen spent her birthday on heroin.

It's all to do with those speech recognition devices.

PRINTMISS Mon 22-Jul-13 08:07:41

I quite like Alex Jones, but again I am quite deaf and do on occasions have difficulty understanding what she says. There is a tendency these days for 'speed talking' to be the done thing, have you tried to watch some of the American shows? I have found one or two to be totally un-managable. There are also some presenters who 'swallow' the last few words of there sentences, very irritating. Going back to Alex, I think she does a grand job keeping everything running. I find sub-titles a boon and funny!

Deedaa Sun 21-Jul-13 21:52:09

One of my great pleasures at the gym is to read the subtitles on the news while I'm on the treadmill. A favourite example was in the lead up to the church service celebrating the coronation. Apparently the Queen was going to have "death trees" at the service - it wasn't half as interesting when I realised they meant "dignitaries" smile

KatyK Sun 21-Jul-13 18:01:54

My DH won't stay in the room if Jonathan Ross or Cilla Black are on TV. Fortunately I am happy to change channels when either come on.

Aka Sun 21-Jul-13 17:17:54

Sorry to hear you're deaf mrsmopp that explains why you are finding it more difficult to follow programmes. I agree about the subtitles on live broadcasts smile

mrsmopp Sun 21-Jul-13 17:01:28

Subtitles are great on films and pre recorded programmes but for live broadcasts they cannot really keep up and often have errors. They do help a lot of people & i would be lost without them.

henetha Sun 21-Jul-13 16:24:44

Truly sorry that you are deaf. That must be so difficult and make you feel cut off. Presumably you put sub-titles on? Do they help?

mrsmopp Sun 21-Jul-13 15:59:26

Oops. All i did was agree with previous posts. I am profoundly deaf and i can only follow people who speak clearly. Doesnt have to be Paxman or Dimbleby. I would expect anyone presenting a programme to speak clearly. Accents are not a problem but gabbling and mumbling should not happen.
There are so many programmes I cannot watch. Jonathan Ross is also out as I cannot make out anything he says.
It is getting harder I can tell you!

merlotgran Sun 21-Jul-13 15:44:49

Remember when they all sounded like Richard Dimbleby?

The clip takes a few seconds to get going.

j08 Sun 21-Jul-13 11:41:58

Yes!!!!

annodomini Sun 21-Jul-13 11:12:52

Would't it be terribly boring if every presenter spoke with 'Received Pronunciation' the way they all did in the early days of television?

henetha Sun 21-Jul-13 10:59:58

I don't have any trouble understanding Alex Jones. Even though she has a
Welsh accent she speaks quite clearly. And if you don't like her, don't watch her then! blush

Aka Sun 21-Jul-13 06:51:56

I have no problem understanding her mrsmopp. Do you find more people difficult to understand these days, either gabbling or mumbling?
It's surely horses for courses. It's a lightweight show with little or no content. Who do you want to present it? Jeremy Paxman? confused

mrsmopp Sat 20-Jul-13 19:30:35

Alex Jones voice grates on me, she is too shrill and gabbles too much. I don't know what she is saying. I need subtitles but they don't even keep up with her. Why can't presenters speak the Queens English properly? Wouldn't you think it was a basic qualification for getting the job in the first place?

Advert for Presenter.
Must be able to gabble fast.
Must be silly and giggly.
Must be an airhead.

merlotgran Thu 11-Jul-13 10:51:26

jingle, I wish I could remember why he put the paper bag on his head in the first place. grin

j08 Thu 11-Jul-13 10:37:44

shock

Perfectly reasonable question! IMHO. grin