Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Radio 4 Extra.

(10 Posts)
penguinpaperback Mon 30-Dec-13 00:35:39

Anyone else enjoy finding little gems of older programmes on Radio 4 Extra?
I caught Penelope Wilton reading a Mrs Miniver story yesterday which made me search out my old Virago copy.

whatsgoingon Mon 30-Dec-13 04:04:00

I have been a big fan of Radio 4extra for a few years now. It's surprising what you can find on there.
On the run up to Christmas I was listening to ' Ladies of letters ' with Patricia Routledge and Prunella Scales.
At the moment a firm favourite of mine is Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show!
If you listen to Radio 4extra on the iplayer you have 7 days to catch up with any shows you may have missed.

Flowerofthewest Mon 30-Dec-13 09:09:31

Have just found it on my NEW Digital radio.

Anne58 Mon 30-Dec-13 13:21:28

Can anyone help me to find it? We only have 1 computer, which is upstairs. I have a digital radio permanently tuned to Radio 4 in the kitchen.

We often hear progs on 4 extra being promoted, but have no idea how to get them!

Riverwalk Mon 30-Dec-13 13:37:20

Phoenix if you have a digital radio, 4Extra is the next one along, to the left!

Anne58 Mon 30-Dec-13 16:20:00

Thanks River will have a go, well, will send Mr P to have a go!

TriciaF Mon 30-Dec-13 17:50:47

Yes we've got 4Extra programmed into our internet radio. I first got onto it when they were broadcasting Goon Show episodes.
Listening to radio is so much more absorbing than watching TV.

annsixty Mon 30-Dec-13 18:21:33

I listen digitally through the tv and 4extra is on channel 0131 on Sky and 708 on freeview. Hope this helps.

penguinpaperback Mon 30-Dec-13 23:14:14

Did you find 4Extra phoenix? I loved listening to Ladies of letters again. Count Arthur is much funnier on the radio...just my thoughts.
My late Mum would have enjoyed listening to Dick Barton again, she used to tell us how much she'd loved listening to DB with her father.

mollie65 Tue 31-Dec-13 07:36:56

years back radio 4 extra was radio 7 and I often listened to the drama/book readings they had on early morning (am an early riser) but then someone in their wisdom decided the early morning slot should feature 'children's programs'. now much as I admire the thought that children will listen at such ungodly hours I doubt it when there is children's TV on at that time and mornings are hectic in households with children - I stopped listening to then radio 7 early in the morning.
Have recently discovered some gems now broadcast (must try the early mornings again) - agree about ladies of letters (have them on audio tape) and the other excellent offerings. smile