Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Pallisers

(5 Posts)
annodomini Thu 29-May-14 17:13:18

Afternoon TV has never been so attractive! Of course I watched the Pallisers about 40 years ago and am surprised how well it has worn. I don't think they do long series like this any more - remember War and Peace? - and I don't remember costumes as lavish in any recent series. Perhaps they can't afford them any more! The first novels I downloaded free for my Kindle three years ago were the complete works of Trollope and I feel that this adaptation would have been greatly appreciated by the author himself. And isn't it strange to see actors, who have grown old with us, in the early days of their careers - Anthony Andrews and Jeremy Irons in today's episode, later to be reunited in Brideshead Revisited.

Tegan Thu 29-May-14 18:06:00

I wish they'd repeat Love for Lydia; I loved that series.

shysal Thu 29-May-14 18:48:33

I have been recording the Pallisers, and am loving it! So far I have found time to watch each evening, which I thought would be a struggle.

The wet weather has also enabled me to work my way through the first few Poldark DVDs which I bought recently. It was also broadcast in the 70s. Don't think I shall be able to bear to watch the remake with different actors!

dorsetpennt Fri 30-May-14 17:19:28

Isn't it wonderful seeing it again. I was delighted to see it being repeated after all these years. I watched it when it first came out and loved it. Still do, it has travelled through the years really well. I have it on repeat record so as not to miss any episodes. Hopefully we'll have more. Would love to see the Barchester Chronicles repeated and Henry VIII and Elizabeth both made in the 1970s. The recent one 'The Tudors' was diabolical.

FlicketyB Sat 31-May-14 15:55:52

I received the box set for Christmas and have really enjoyed watching a series that fully reflects the books as written, no sexing up, no making it relevant and no reducing the full series to three one hour episodes.

R4 is currently dramatising the Barchaster novels over a period of about a year, at the rate of a one hour play per book. I recently listened to Dr Thorne cut to a one hour play. It was a complete travesty.