Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Secret Life of Babies

(16 Posts)
Mishap Thu 05-Jun-14 09:28:24

Did anyone see this? I have just watched a recording of it. Apart from having a huge "ahh" factor, it was full of fascinating facts. I thought it was wonderful.

One teeny fact slipped on was that babies need sugar to develop (presumably that is why breast milk is so sweet) - I am tempted to show the prog to my DD who held up her hands in horror when I shared a fruit corner yoghurt with her toddler, as the tiny fruit bit (about a teaspoonful) contains some sugar - shock horror!!!

NanKate Thu 05-Jun-14 10:18:34

I've got it recorded too and look forward to viewing it soon.

When I put a miniscule drop of Ribena in a drinking water bottle for my 3 year old GS my DinL said he was only allowed that on special occasions. hmm

It's surprising how well our kids have grown up considering what we gave them to eat and drink 30/40 years ago! grin

rosesarered Thu 05-Jun-14 10:40:12

Isn't it just, NanKate and yet none of my DC have any fillings at all.It's getting ridiculous, expecting toddlers to drink loads of water [they won't.]

rosesarered Thu 05-Jun-14 10:40:51

I must record this to watch, I have downloaded the secret life of cats to watch as well.

rosesarered Thu 05-Jun-14 10:42:18

We need the secret life of Grandmas! We need sugar too, [big bags of fudge.]

Nelliemoser Thu 05-Jun-14 11:01:47

I enjoyed it but I felt it could have been a bit more informative and less pictures of babies in nappies. They didn't need those constructed shots babies sleeping in towns etc. That was just making jobs for the special effect guys.

I really really dislike seeing disposable nappies hanging off babies backsides! Why can't people just pop a simple pair of light pants over the nappy?

What a grumpy old Gran I am today. grin

janthea Thu 05-Jun-14 14:24:37

Which channel was this on? I seem to have missed it. May it's on Catch Up.

Mishap Thu 05-Jun-14 14:31:37

I think it was on BBC1 - certainly BBC.

I agree that some of the set pieces were a bit over-produced and unnecessary Nellie.

tanith Thu 05-Jun-14 14:40:58

I enjoyed it too especially the baby swimming scenes as I've been trying to convince my husband that babies will swim underwater like that for ages he has always thought it was special effects, he was still a bit sceptical but agrees that it did look real.
There was a few things mentioned that I didn't realise to but as usual my brain refuses to hold onto these useful factsgrin thats so annoying.

janthea Thu 05-Jun-14 15:33:40

Babies swimming underwater - true. I have a picture of my DGD swimming underwater and I watched her do it at about 6 months old.

tanith Thu 05-Jun-14 16:47:06

My son took underwater pics of his new son at about the same age janthea , amazing pics I would never of risked it with mine but he just dunked him in and he loved it .

rosesarered Thu 05-Jun-14 17:10:55

It was on ITV1 [where I downloaded it from.]

Mishap Thu 05-Jun-14 17:12:26

Sorry! - I thought it was BBC.

I do not think that babies can stay under water for very long - it is just that they can swim with their mouths open and not take air into their lungs.

janerowena Thu 05-Jun-14 17:18:44

My sister swam underwater until she was nine, my mother took us all from babies. She wouldn't swim above at all, she used to go for whole lengths without needing to come up. Whenever we visited a new pool, we had to warn the lifeguard because someone would always think there was a child drowning.

annodomini Thu 05-Jun-14 17:55:59

All my grandchildren have preferred to swim underwater until they took lessons and learnt to swim properly. I don't remember their fathers doing this.

goldengirl Thu 05-Jun-14 21:51:12

There were some interesting bits but overall I found it soooo sloooow and repetitive. This is happening with a lot of documentaries these days and I find it disappointing