Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Our Zoo

(33 Posts)
merlotgran Thu 18-Sep-14 17:09:55

I've just caught up with this on iPlayer. What a delightful series and so well acted. It has all the feelgood ingredients of Sunday night drama complete with a 'Boo Hiss' vicar and some posh totty!

The little girl who plays June is an absolute star and those penguins really stole the show.

Love it.

Teetime Fri 03-Oct-14 09:11:58

I quite like it as there is not much else on but it does make me nod off.

PRINTMISS Fri 03-Oct-14 08:13:21

I said before I like it, I still do, of course some of it is not true, it is after all a STORY! We must all read fiction at some time. At least there is no brutality in it, and no bad language which is a bonus for me.

Eloethan Thu 02-Oct-14 17:01:49

I'm enjoying it. I expect some of it is made up for dramatic effect but I think the acting is very good.

Starling Thu 02-Oct-14 15:56:17

I still like it! I like the characters. The plot may be a bit far-fetched in places. (I do hope they get the other bear back!) I suppose it's a bit like a fairytale. Also - there's kind of the sense of them all being quite emotionally raw after the war and an awareness of the economic hardships of the thirties - they are trying not to be too sentimental but still feeling for the animals. Even Anne Reid's character has come round (a bit).

Tegan Thu 02-Oct-14 14:46:35

Well, I started off trying to like it but the storyline just got stupider and stupider. I may be wrong about this as well [where's david Attenborough when you need him?] but surely a mother bear wouldn't allow humans to nurse her cubs soon after giving birth? Although I'd pretty much given up on the whole thing before that happened anyway. I'm not sure that the scriptwriter seems to know what age audience he/she is aiming at. However, I may do a bit of googling as I might find that the events in the series did actually happen.

Tegan Mon 29-Sep-14 21:05:32

I'm hoping to see that later this week. She lends herself to period drama of that kind, doesn't she. Had she been a lot older she would have made a good James Herriotts wife in All Creatures Great and Small [wasn't that a brilliant series in its day!].

Starling Mon 29-Sep-14 20:59:39

She's also in the film Pride which there's another thread about.

Tegan Mon 29-Sep-14 20:01:36

She was in The Woman in Black as well [I didn't watch that film because my son, who laughs at me for being scared of films such as The Exorcist was completely freaked out by it shock; I've seen the stage play, though, and that didn't bother me much]. And a few other things that I haven't seen.

Starling Mon 29-Sep-14 19:51:17

I recognise her too but I didn't watch Life on Mars..... confused

Tegan Mon 29-Sep-14 19:08:58

It's bothered me from the start that I couldn't place where I'd seen Liz White before, but I've just googled it and she was in Life on Mars [a series that didn't disappoint in any way; certainly not the first series anyway]. I'll still watch it, though. It's years since I went to Chester Zoo; I must go again.

Starling Mon 29-Sep-14 18:47:40

I see what you mean. Everyone seems to have a potential "love interest" plot-line! If the story is mostly based on the little girl's diary I suppose you're right and they have been added in.

I do like the characters of the posh lady though and the entrepreneurial brother in law.

Tegan Mon 29-Sep-14 17:54:18

I enjoyed the first episode but then missed a couple. Watching last weeks episode, I felt that there were too many personal relationships being created that probably never happened; I think they should just concentrate on the animals. Am I being a grump by saying I never understand the need to bring love stories into everything sad?

Starling Fri 19-Sep-14 18:18:52

Yes although must be a bit weird for her to be in a reconstruction of her own childhood.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 19-Sep-14 13:25:38

Starling that's lovely - about the real June appearing in the show. smile

Starling Fri 19-Sep-14 12:36:03

I think one reason I'm enjoying it is, as Shysal said, we know that the zoo was created - so all the setbacks and negativity and people thinking he's a crackpot are not causing me too much anxiety.

Also he seems to have the animals interests at heart and is mainly rescuing animals that have been badly treated or aren't going to be looked after. I'm hoping that the posh Lady neighbour isn't going to bring him back some wild cubs from her next jaunt to Africa (although if they were going to get hunted otherwise....?).

glammanana Fri 19-Sep-14 12:23:09

Such a good programme and totally delightful to watch we visit the Zoo a couple of times a year and have done for a very long time adopting different animals every year the children love going as it is right on our doorstop only takes 20mins to get there so a really good day out for us even when weather is bad there is always some thing exciting to see.All started with a little monkey which was a common sight years ago with sailors bringing them home from their travels.I've not seen this weeks episode so must do a catch up.

rosequartz Fri 19-Sep-14 12:12:46

I remember visiting a lady many years ago who lived right opposite the zoo. I presume she had bought her house after the zoo was founded.

Starling Fri 19-Sep-14 11:55:15

Was googling bear and Chester just to see if anything newsworthy happened in real life and have discovered that June Williams actually appeared in this week's episode as one of the protestors against the zoo!

www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/chester-zoo-founders-daughter-make-7785033

Starling Fri 19-Sep-14 11:52:35

I'm addicted to this too and can't understand why the rest of my family isn't. We have been to Chester Zoo a few times and I have watched all three episodes so far. The character played by Anne Reid (June's grandmother) is very believable. Seems like the camel in the backyard was artistic licence though! Thanks for that link rosequartz - I wonder if June Williams is now on Gransnet?

susieb755 Fri 19-Sep-14 11:36:35

I love it, brilliant acting, and animals, so much better than boomers

rosequartz Fri 19-Sep-14 09:48:35

I have only seen the first episode but have the next two recorded so am looking forward to catching up.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 19-Sep-14 09:12:09

Thanks for the link Rosequartz. Lovely pictures and very interesting story. She must have been devastated when her dad sent her lion cub away. shock

suebailey1 Fri 19-Sep-14 08:56:10

Its lovely- enjoyed the penguins enormously.

shysal Fri 19-Sep-14 08:47:39

What wonderful photos on the link, Rosequartz, thank you.

shysal Fri 19-Sep-14 08:43:49

I am also enjoying this programme. At least we know that the Zoo was acheived.