Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Doctor Blake

(25 Posts)
HildaW Fri 05-Dec-14 12:39:12

This is broadcast in the afternoons but I was bored one evening and found it on I Player...took a peek just to see...thought it would be of little merit but how wrong! Its a little 1950's set delight...not exactly difficult to guess who did it but its most enjoyable and the Dr is lovely...I'll leave you all to guess where you first saw him!

felice Fri 05-Dec-14 13:01:34

I love it. Listen to the Archers then watch Dr Blake, just suits a cup of tea in the afternoon.

mollie65 Fri 05-Dec-14 13:47:07

I too caught this Australian drama series while waiting for 'Escape to the Country' (sad I know) and it was very good - checked whether it is released on DVD and found it is but quite pricy at the moment so I will continue to watch it in realtime smile - I think it deserves a 'better slot'
the Archers - contemporary drama with countryside noises - it is not what it was.

mollie65 Fri 05-Dec-14 13:48:39

seeing the name of the lovely Dr Blake - I realised he was a former Australian soap star (now aged to perfection)

HildaW Fri 05-Dec-14 14:00:09

That's right mollie....an early neighbours actor quite in his prime now!

ninathenana Fri 05-Dec-14 16:24:41

DH and I both enjoy this. We also like Escape to the Country mollie smile

shysal Fri 05-Dec-14 16:54:06

I am recording the series and enjoying it at my leisure. I remember liking the actor in Neighbours too.

annsixty Fri 05-Dec-14 17:37:12

I think this could be the second series because I have seen it before but when I saw it was on yesterday I watched and today's as well and I hadn't seen them before.

ninathenana Fri 05-Dec-14 18:04:24

Yes it is the second series.

HildaW Fri 05-Dec-14 18:48:30

Just jolly well hope there is a 3rd! Also I love the music...tracked down an interview on youtube with the composer...very interesting. (Lor I'm beginning to sound like one of the desperate fan types).

Deedaa Fri 05-Dec-14 23:46:22

I loved the first series and was so pleased when this one started. It's such a different view of Australia from the one we're all used to in Neighbours. And hasn't Craig improved with age !!!

HildaW Sat 06-Dec-14 12:19:36

Yes he has.......cannot say he made much of an impression all those years ago....but as the troubled thoughtful Doctor he is quite a different matter. blush

Jane10 Fri 12-Dec-14 14:21:17

So glad I read this thread and went on to watch the programme. Something a bit different and beautifully presented. Full marks Oz!

HildaW Fri 12-Dec-14 14:59:54

Yes Jane10, its such a change from all the nasty violent stuff that's about at the moment. It sometimes deals with difficult theme but leaves ones imagination to fill in a lot of the detail. I think his housekeeper is beautifully acted too.

annodomini Fri 12-Dec-14 16:13:57

Dr Blake...Craig... the penny has just dropped. He is a good actor, isn't he - no longer the Henry of the baked beans and Vegemite sandwiches! I am in danger of getting hooked on this series.

ninathenana Fri 12-Dec-14 20:40:32

The last three or four episodes have been a repeats from the first series tchangry

littleflo Sat 13-Dec-14 08:25:07

If you like this, have you watched "a place to call home". This is on inthe afternoons on BBC. It is a family saga set in Australia just after the war. I am really enjoying it.

PRINTMISS Sat 13-Dec-14 08:28:05

I think Dr. Blake is lovely laid back viewing. Very predictable of course, but so much better than the violence which seems to prevail at the moment. BBC do one or two afternoon plays which are often much better viewing than some prime time, and are worth recording for later viewing. Or at least I think so.

Deedaa Sat 13-Dec-14 22:22:14

I've just caught up with the last episode of series2. I'm hoping there will be a series 3 - they can't just leave it now can they?

Grannyknot Fri 19-Dec-14 21:12:54

Is that it now for this series? Watched today ("the suicide case") and liked it but can't find any more episodes.

papaoscar Fri 19-Dec-14 22:17:51

Watched a couple recently during wet and grey afternoons and found them refreshingly good. I hope they put some more on in due course.

annodomini Fri 19-Dec-14 22:18:18

I came late to the series but have enjoyed it, though feel guilty about watching afternoon TV! I think that was the end of the present series but it looked as if there would be more - perhaps the name plate was a hint about that. But will he meet his daughter?

Grannyknot Fri 19-Dec-14 22:24:54

Darn. Why does the BBC not run repeats of these good shows in the evenings instead of some of the other drivel they put on. I couldn't find it on catch up.

I also caught a really good film a couple of weeks ago (in the morning!) called The Reluctant Fundamentalist. Have never seen it repeated again in the evenings (i wanted to record it for others in the house to watch).

papaoscar Sat 20-Dec-14 07:02:55

Lets hope that the archaeology people at the Beeb can dig up some more treasures like Dr Blake. Not so sure about Ready, Steady, Cook, though!

Deedaa Sat 20-Dec-14 21:34:51

This was the first series anno the second series was shown a couple of weeks ago. (Not as mad as it sounds as they'd shown the first series before!) I won't spoil it by telling you about his daughter as they will probably repeat the second series at some point.