Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

BBC Breakfast

(22 Posts)
specki4eyes Sat 31-Jan-15 17:33:40

Whatever has happened to this once dynamic news programme? The presenters look utterly bored to tears and deliver their lines in dull, flat tones; so clearly reading from an autocue - as they so often lose the grammatical sense of the piece.

The only presenter with any sparkle is Louise Minchin who seems all the time to be trying to chivvy her co- presenters into displaying enthusiasm.

One young woman, (short black hair) whose name I cannot pronounce, let alone type, reads her lines in dreary nasal tones as if she just wished she was back in bed! One of the sports presenters seems duty bound to report sporting activities as if they were written by Shakespeare - its football dear - not Hamlet!

Then suddenly, its necessary to turn the volume down - the Geordie lass is being loudly and brashly business-like - about nothing, usually.

They spend more time telling us about what is to come - by the time it comes, I've lost interest.

I live abroad and Breakfast used to be my way of catching up with my home country's news first thing in the morning. I give it a couple of minutes now and then switch to Radio 4.

loopylou Sat 31-Jan-15 17:46:20

Naga Muchetty, prefers to play golf apparently, looks so disinterested.
I have it on in the background but realised it's on some sort of 'loop' so once you've heard 15 minutes you've heard the lot. Much prefer Radio 4!

rosesarered Sat 31-Jan-15 17:47:01

Yes, I agree and prefer the radio every time.

rosequartz Sat 31-Jan-15 17:50:00

Breakfast, The One Show, chat shows (such as Graham Norton) etc are just vehicles for advertising the latest book, film, cd by various slebs who get free advertising courtesy of our licence fee.
There may be an occasional snippet of something interesting in between but mostly these programmes are a big turn-off.

jo1book Sun 01-Feb-15 00:11:20

Yes, I am getting to dislike BBC Breakfast. Tend to watch Sky News. Can't bear the constant selling of their own programmes, pop groups I have never heard of and gruesome medical conditions. Naga is bored with it as she is probably too intelligent for this stuff. Didn't she do business programmes.

Nelliemoser Sun 01-Feb-15 00:39:07

I never watch it! If I can I always a Iisten to Radio 4 the today Program and everything else on their. Its the only way I stay informed

Teetime Sun 01-Feb-15 10:46:22

I agree 'speckie' and I am SOOOO fed up with Mike Bushell - why oh why does he have to try out every sport as if he were a Blue Peter presenter.

papaoscar Sun 01-Feb-15 11:07:52

Well said, Teetime and others about BBC Breakfast. Rarely in the trough of media tediousness have I come across anyone as irritating as 'Jack-in-a-box' 'Mr Keen' Bushell, who has to be into everything all the time. Why doesn't he just go away and join up with Matt, the Blue Peter boy on the One Show, so that I can ignore the pair of them. As regards the very superior Queen Naga, no wonder she looks bored, sat on that awful sofa with so many wallies. If it wasn't for Steph the Wonder Voice, foghorn of t'North, we'd all fall fast asleep again!

POGS Sun 01-Feb-15 11:39:50

I have said many times I think our news coverage is poor but the BBC has certainly lost it's way.

Sky is slightly better, certainly the Presenters are better at interviewing and all seem to have a pleasant attitude. I am so glad to be able to watch Sky and Aljazeera on Free View, so few people seem to bother to watch it...

We now have news coverage 24/7 and I think our stations are lazy in the sense they repeat and repeat the same old stuff but if you watch Aljazeera for example so much interesting news is happening . I think our news is 'dumbed down' to a degree and I would have thought the BBC would be able to access current events before smaller stations but I am surprised at times how behind it can be.

bookdreamer Sun 01-Feb-15 11:51:23

I made a decision about a week ago not to watch the 24 hour news channels anymore. It was after the Sidney siege when they were showing the hostages run free and then again after the Paris tragedy. All they seem to do is to incite fear asking what the mood is, is everyone frightened, etc etc.

loopylou Sun 01-Feb-15 11:53:04

Mr 'Over-keen' Bushell is a complete berk, IMO am so bored with the lot of them. Will try Aljazerra and Sky, hadn't thought of that!

mrshat Sun 01-Feb-15 17:54:12

It's always the radio in the mornings - Radio 4 or Radio 2 depending on the mood! Much prefer it to the TV.

hildajenniJ Sun 01-Feb-15 18:27:17

I maybe watch a little Breakfast TV but I usually listen to the radio. It's Classic FM or Radio 4 for me. I like the afternoon programmes on Radio 4. Just lately the afternoon plays have been good.

MrsPickle Sun 01-Feb-15 20:01:43

Here's my list of bores...

'You know' 10x a sentence Charlie Staint
'Looking gawjus' weather woman Carol thank you, Billy
'Simpering' minchin

Have I said enough?

rubysong Sun 01-Feb-15 23:47:55

We watch it in bed while we have a cup of tea from the teasmade and often sometimes our porridge. We like Steph. (I call her Cushy Butterfield, after the song).

Purpledaffodil Mon 02-Feb-15 19:34:26

"She's a big lass and a bonny lass and she likes her beer" Seems a little harsh rubysong grin.
Do agree with awful dullness and short loop of BBC Breakfast though. It seems to have gone downhill since they went to Salford. Or maybe it just needs revamping?

soontobe Mon 02-Feb-15 19:40:02

I used to watch it a bit when it was on if something caught my attention. Lately not so much. I thought it was just me. But now I think about it, it sort of has a bored feel to it.

Personally not sure if Salford has anything to do with it. I would have to look up how long they have been there, but I would say that the difference in how it is lately has only been going on for say 3 months? Perhaps they have a different producer?

Deedaa Mon 02-Feb-15 21:53:15

I've really liked Steph on the odd occasions when she's been presenting the programme. I wonder if it will occur to anyone to to give her her own show?

Missadventurefalls Sun 16-Feb-20 07:39:08

I like early breakfast radio 1

Jane43 Sun 16-Feb-20 13:14:02

We do still watch it but I agree it is getting rather tired. Louise is lovely and an effective presenter and I also like Charlie. I find Naga very abrasive and condescending and dislike the way she interrupts her fellow presenters to put forward her views, Charlie is the only one who deals with her effectively. Dan is a pleasant young man but obviously more interested in sports presenting but I loved the way he organised the special fly past for the old man who witnessed an American plane crashing in his local park when he was a boy. I also loved the way he inter acting with the old man. I will give Sky a try to see if it is better, the ITV breakfast show is definitely not for me.

Deeda Steph does have a few shows in which she co-presents topics on things like health and saving money on shopping. I think she’s just come back from maternity leave so will probably appear on more shows, she is currently doing one on health matters with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.

Jane43 Sun 16-Feb-20 13:15:18

Should be ‘interacted’ not ‘inter acting’

Floradora9 Sun 16-Feb-20 13:33:36

We make it a rule no daytime TV and watch 2 hours or less at night always things recorded so can skip the adds. I guess if I was on my own I might be tempted to watch more but I do like radio 4 and classic FM while doing other things.