Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

classical music.

(56 Posts)
celialillian Tue 24-Feb-15 16:40:45

Hi everyone, I enjoy all kinds of music, but do find i can relax and unwind when listening to classical music, not to heavy to make me depressed of course....I have recently found I could watch and listen to the beautiful BERLIN PHILHARMONIKA DIGITAL CONCERTS on line. I believe it is the only orchestra in the world that does this at the moment. I have registered with this web site, and now get regular emails from them telling me what concerts I can watch, you can pay if you want to watch a full concert, or just watch the excerpts for free. For people who live to far from concert halls this brings it all into your personal living room. Just type it in as I have spelt it.

Greyduster Thu 26-Mar-15 08:37:08

CFM played the Faure' Requiem a couple of times last week - by the second time, I had remembered most of the words! Last year they never seem to stop playing The Armed Man. They do tend to repeat things so that you can almost predict, when they announce a composer, which piece they are going to play! As has been said, one man's meat, but why do they think we only want to hear two or three of the most popular of, say, Vaughan Williams' works, and never his wonderful Norfolk Rhapsodies or In the Fenland or his choral pieces. There are only so many times you want to listen to Lark Ascending or The English Folk Song Suite. I'd like to hear them play more English light music.

TriciaF Thu 26-Mar-15 09:35:09

I find youtube better, because you can plan your own classical concert. And sometimes watch it too if there's a video. Can't always hear it though if you're working in the next room.

Greyduster Thu 26-Mar-15 10:10:10

Sorry, what I meant to say was that they played the Agnus Dei which I almost remembered all the words to! Remember the whole of the Requiem? I wish! Pushed to remember my own name these days!

janerowena Thu 26-Mar-15 12:25:23

I was about to say - grin they rarely play a whole work. So whilst a bit of the Armed man may get played, it really needs to be listened to as a whole.

Dare I admit, I find faure's requiem a bit boring. blush So many people love it. After a month of rehearsing it I had had enough. DBH doesn't even need the score at all, he has sung it so often.

celialillian Sun 29-Mar-15 12:12:03

I have recently discovered a recording by sir Anthony Hopkins (the actor)what I think is a lovely peace of music, which he wrote and composed...all this talent...he has....it is called.. AND THE WALTZ GOES ON,, by the Birmingham city orchestra....if you go on to Amazon music store put in this information and you will be able to listen to a free sample or purchase it.

loopylou Sun 29-Mar-15 12:22:34

They're my longtime favourites janerowena, they give me goosebumps grin
I seem drawn to Requiems, Mozart's playing at the moment.

DD plays cello in several orchestras so I'm really lucky to get to hear new-to-me composers from time to time.

janerowena Sun 29-Mar-15 14:38:07

Mozart's is my favourite, I think. A friend said to me last week that she doesn't like it. Isn't it strange when your friends dislike music that you love. And vice versa. After greyduster said she liked the Agnus Dei in the Faure I dreamt about different versions all night long - it was exhausting, I was singing in my dreams for hours! Slipping seamlessly from one version to another, the fact is, I can no longer tell them apart. I need the intro, then I'm off, but I couldn't tell you who the composer is.

merlotgran Sun 29-Mar-15 15:33:55

For those who love listening to a Requiem Mass, try this lovely movement from Eleanor Daley's Requiem.

'In Remembrance' is Mary Elizabeth Elizabeth Frye's uplifting poem. We played this during the committal at Mum's funeral. It still reduces me to tears.

The whole Requiem is beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y74j136ddRQ

janerowena Sun 29-Mar-15 17:22:14

Thank you - I will do, once I have managed to get rid of DBH and interminable Time Teams!

merlotgran Sun 29-Mar-15 17:24:07

I've just noticed two Elizabeths in my post. hmm

janerowena Sun 29-Mar-15 17:29:43

I knew what you meant. smile

TriciaF Sun 29-Mar-15 17:55:46

That was lovely, Merlotgran.
It has a feeling of Irish folk music.

merlotgran Sun 29-Mar-15 18:09:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mketFlspmzc

Here's the whole Requiem. It's not too long and breathtakingly beautiful I think.

janerowena Sun 29-Mar-15 19:20:04

I've only just listened to the short bit! grin It was lovely, more informal than most.

janerowena Sun 29-Mar-15 19:21:56

I thought it was American, being slightly folksy, but she's Canadian.

janerowena Sun 29-Mar-15 19:24:37

Listening to it now, I love the soprano part. It is beautiful.

merlotgran Sun 29-Mar-15 19:24:39

If you get a chance to listen to all of it, the last two movements are sublime.

janerowena Sun 29-Mar-15 19:25:43

Yes, I think one of my choirs would love it.

janerowena Sun 29-Mar-15 19:33:13

It's lovely! smile I'll suggest it for next year.

merlotgran Sun 29-Mar-15 19:37:16

It's a beautiful poem for a funeral and so comforting.

annodomini Sun 29-Mar-15 21:56:07

I envy those of you who can sing in choirs. My singing has never been great, but acid reflux has made my vocal chords unpredictable and I seem to have a few gaps in my range! And there's nothing I'd like more than to join in the Hallelujah Chorus or the finale of Belshazzar's Feast. Or any of the great oratorios - a musical form which I love.

janerowena Sun 29-Mar-15 22:18:51

My voice went towards the end of Libera Me and I really panicked. Not a note could I squeak out until almost the end of In Paradisum, so I do feel for you. I was thinking, this is it, I shall never be able to sing again. If I tried to sing it really hurt, and nothing came out at all. Heaven only knows what it was. All I know is, I would be devastated if it ever became permanent.

Keep singing along to the radio, annodomini. Or this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmrt7sjNGPs&list=PL9A3852017B3C857F&index=1

Singing makes you happy, even if it isn't perfect.

merlotgran Sun 29-Mar-15 22:22:38

I agree with janer. Keep singing. I download music from Amazon then burn compilation CDs to play in the kitchen so I can sing along while I'm cooking. You can have a selection of whatever takes your fancy.

Nelliemoser Mon 30-Mar-15 00:18:48

JaneRowena My choir did Faure Requiem last night with a couple of Vaughan Williams numbers.

The Faure is just wonderful but he is not very kind to Altos. We have about 3 notes, all the same, at the end of the Sanctus and similarly in the "In Paradisium." We Altos only get star rating in the "offertorium" when we start without the sopranos.
II. OFFERTORIUM
O Domine, Jesu Christe, Rex Gloriae
libera animas defunctorumetc

However the music all through is just beautiful You can't hear it without being moved.
Faure and "The Armed Man" seem to me an odd combination for one concert but I really like both of them.

I got talked into a come and sing day of The Armed man for a "Voices for hospices" day many years ago now, before I joined a choral society. I would love to do that one again. More lovely melodies in that.

I do have a "come and sing" day booked for the Mozart Requiem in early May that will be something to look forward to.
My last such day was the Haydn Nelson Mass with the Salford CS.
All good fun.

Nelliemoser Mon 30-Mar-15 00:22:59

For any more singers out there this site lists some of the come and sing days around the country.

https://twitter.com/singingworkshop