Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

I can't stand Robert Peston

(76 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Wed 18-Mar-15 22:13:21

He hams it up too much. So obvious he's just trying to become a personality. He shouts. And he waves his hands about too much.

It doesn't work. hmm

aprilgrace Tue 24-Mar-15 10:54:13

No he's not half as good when you can't see him.

kittylester Sun 22-Mar-15 19:51:54

One doesn't quite get the full effect of the eyebrows on the radio anno. grin I like Five live too and do hear him on there!

annodomini Sun 22-Mar-15 19:23:32

Apologies. Having Googled Chris Mason, I still don't recognise him but must have heard him as he broadcasts on 5Live which I often listen to.

specki4eyes Sun 22-Mar-15 19:00:28

Juliette Thats it! You hit the nail on the head. His presenting style is so distracting that I don't take in what he is saying.

It seems to me that in order to qualify as a tv presenter you have to have a quirky speaking voice, be out of the ordinary or weird. Similar to the qualifications required for becoming a politician ...........smile

NanKate Sun 22-Mar-15 13:31:25

Two different people same surname.

kittylester Sun 22-Mar-15 07:56:41

I definitely mean Chris Mason. grin

Eloethan Sun 22-Mar-15 00:56:15

I'm not sure who Chris Mason is but I think Paul Mason is brilliant. There's a piece of him to camera on You Tube where he's absolutely furious about the way the bankers here have got away with criminal behaviour.

Robert Peston hasn't done anything cruel or outrageous so I don't see why he should be pulled to pieces just because of the way he speaks.

Ana Sat 21-Mar-15 21:49:31

anno, no way could Paul Mason be described as being like a mischievous schoolboy - he's far too dour! grin

NanKate Sat 21-Mar-15 21:34:19

I had a good look at Chris Mason's eyebrows today.

He has an amusing air to him and I agree with Kitty about his school boyish manner.

aprilgrace Sat 21-Mar-15 21:08:12

I love the way Chris Mason's eyebrows go up an inch when he is introduced.

annodomini Sat 21-Mar-15 20:42:40

kitty, I think you mean Paul Mason who does a similar job to Robert Peston.

Stansgran Sat 21-Mar-15 20:00:25

I still hide behind the sofa when Robert P comes on. Queueing up with most of Durham outside Northern Rock to salvage savings has scarred me for life. I still would happily hang draw and quarter that wretched man who ran Northern Rock into nothing. And he's probably still in his mansion in Northumberland . I wonder if Harrigran knows where he is.

rosequartz Sat 21-Mar-15 10:20:31

I can't look at her without humming 'Mud, mud, glorious Mud' grin

bramblelover Fri 20-Mar-15 21:11:52

My husband has a bit of a crush on Stephanie Flanders the financial commentator .....says he really admires her excellent mind. ........mmmmmm. You have to acknowledge that many of these presenters make some difficult, dry and often boring subjects easier to understand......sometimes!!!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 20-Mar-15 20:58:49

Ooh yes. I like Mark Carney.

bramblelover Fri 20-Mar-15 20:56:13

As we're not in the uk we have very little UK TV , by choice so I'm a huge radio fan.This also means I'm not distracted by people's clothes or mannerisms as one often is on tv. Love radio four especially PM with Eddie Mair. Also really like Robert Peston but appreciate his style is not to everyones taste. Last year in an effort to understand the consequences of Scottish Independence from a financial standpoint, I watched a coup!e of programmes with Mark Carney Governor of the Bank of England. I really liked him and could listen to him for hours.

janerowena Fri 20-Mar-15 20:45:35

grin

rosequartz Fri 20-Mar-15 18:06:37

Robert Peston fascinates me - not necessarily meaning I like him or his mannerisms - but I find I spend so much time looking at his floppy hair, his new glasses, his ridiculous trendy scarf etc and worrying if he is OK after the loss of his wife that I realise at the end of his delivery I haven't listened to let alone understood anything he has said.

I have to turn over to Tom Bradby to know what is going on.

kittylester Fri 20-Mar-15 16:04:20

He's one of the BBC's political reporters and always reminds me of a mischievous schoolboy! I love him!

jo1book Fri 20-Mar-15 13:51:41

Who is Chris Mason?

janerowena Fri 20-Mar-15 13:48:04

I liked this article

www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/11/robert-peston-interview-quelle-catastrophe-bbc

He doesn't irritate me, what I found really funny was that I didn't recognise him with his new look! I'm really bad at facial recognition.

Nelliemoser Thu 19-Mar-15 23:09:04

I like James Naughtie and John Humphrys. With regard to their apparent "rudeness" when interviewing these two are seasoned professionals.
One or other usually does the the main serious interview post 8am on the Today program. This is probably the most important slot of the day on any BBC news program.

They are up against experienced politicians etc, who themselves have themselves been well trained in the art of avoiding interviewers potentially difficult and embarrasing questions by deflecting the issues and doing what ever they need to try and avoid any direct questions.

This is a game like a tennis match you cannot afford to let you opponent get away with anything.

I am not at all surprised then, that these interviewers do not want to let their subjects get away with not answering and so they keep pushing for an answer that is clearly being avoided. Do not feel sorry for thes politicians here they know exactly what they are doing.

The all female team of Mishal Hussein and Sarah Montague can be similarly persistant in their questioning.

Hilda W I did not know that about Robert Pestons stammer, but now you mention it I can see how it might affect his slightly strange speech patterns.
I also think Robert Peston puts a bit of excitement into business and finance. Well done him.

Marmight Thu 19-Mar-15 22:36:49

There was a similar thread on RP about a year ago. I like him and can understand how he is trying to 'find' himself after losing his wife so tragically. He is on the telly to impart his knowledge on subjects many of us couldn't begin to give our opinion on. I don't particularly bother about what he is wearing, but give the poor chap a break....... He has a speech problem and possibly a few others, but he certainly knows his stuff. {{ Hrrmph}}

Mishap Thu 19-Mar-15 22:12:37

Just been listening to him and he does seem to be a bit "hyper" - but I don't find it annoying. I felt very sad for him losing his wife so young with a young family.

loopylou Thu 19-Mar-15 21:23:33

I can't listen to James Naughtie, he talks over people and is a very aggressive interviewer. Listening to him winds me up andif I'm driving I have to switch him off!