Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Raised by Wolves

(14 Posts)
Tegan Tue 24-Mar-15 18:18:40

Is anyone else watching this? Not sure what night it's on and missed last weeks episode, but loved the first one.

cazthebookworm Tue 24-Mar-15 19:25:52

It was on last night, the second episode I believe. It appeals to my sense of humour and I thought it was so funny, well written and original, some brilliant one liners. I read a review somewhere though which wasn't very complimentary. I took at face value without trying to analyse it too much and it made me laugh, a lot!

petallus Tue 24-Mar-15 20:46:59

I loved the first episode. Reminded me of my Midlands upbringing.

Wasn't so sure about the second episode though.

Tegan Tue 24-Mar-15 20:47:36

Just watched it on catchup grin.

petra Tue 24-Mar-15 22:06:30

Very clever writing. Not to everyone's taste on Gransnet, I suspect.

Tegan Tue 24-Mar-15 22:14:26

I wasn't so sure about episode 2 but I loved the cardboard box at the end [I actually have a large cardboard box in my living room that the grandsons hide in when they're here...it must be something to do with me being brung up on a council estate inthe Midlands]. If I was one of the girls I would be Aretha. I think their mum is great!

Eloethan Tue 24-Mar-15 22:50:01

I've read it's based on Caitlin Moran's own childhood.

I saw the second episode and thought it was quite funny but if it's meant to be realistic I thought the girls were extremely articulate and knowing. Or is it meant to be a very exaggerated portrayal of the family?

cazthebookworm Tue 24-Mar-15 23:21:09

Yes, it is exaggerated, best not to analyse it too deeply and to take it at face value. They are quite outrageous characters, far fetched of course, but that's the fun of it. Too much gloom in the world, nice to switch off from reality for a while.

Eloethan Tue 24-Mar-15 23:59:13

That's true.

Falconbird Wed 25-Mar-15 07:56:31

I love Raised by Wolves. It's witty and clever and the girls are all brilliant actors, also the mum of course.

It didn't register until the second episode that Wolves refers to Wolverhampton.

Loved the accents.

The programme is a refreshing change. I particularly liked the mum facing down the traffic warden smile and the granddad giving the only boy in the family a cardboard box to hide in.

petallus Wed 25-Mar-15 08:04:55

The mother reminds me so much of one of DH's sisters (who is a Brummie so the accent is similar)

gillybob Wed 25-Mar-15 08:21:48

Oh thanks for the reminder Tegan I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode. Will try and catch Mondays episode later this week.

KatyK Wed 25-Mar-15 10:58:34

Oh is it good? We saw the trailer and my DH said 'more dodgy Midlands accents' so he put me off it. I'll have a look on the catch up thingy.

Tegan Wed 25-Mar-15 11:55:02

No; I didn't pick up on the Wolves/Woverhampton thingy either. I remember when Caitlin Moran first started writing for the Observer. In fact, I bought a book that she'd written at the time but, because I'm always rearranging my bookselves I'll be blowed if I can find it. She won some sort of young writers prize I believe, but I tended to get her mixed up with India Knight who was from the oppostie end of the social scale.