Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Long Lost Family

(9 Posts)
mrsmopp Wed 24-Jun-15 23:51:55

I'm not sure if there has been a thread on this before, but I do find this programme very moving. There are so many families split up due to adoptions and other reasons and they are reunited on this programme.
The emotions are always the same, relief that the person has been found, tearful reunions and the joy of meeting up again after many years, and often meeting family members they never knew existed. The film Philomena, starring Judi Dench was another such story. Thank goodness the shame of illegitimacy has gone, and mothers dont have their babies torn from their arms, facing a lifetime of sorrow and longing. I cant think of anything worse or more cruel than the way people were treated. Thank heavens times have changed.

Marelli Thu 25-Jun-15 16:43:14

mrsmopp, I do enjoy the programme. It's not a load of sentimental claptrap, just sensitive handling of issues that befell so many all those years ago.

Grannyknot Thu 25-Jun-15 16:49:29

I watch it from time to time. It often makes me well up, but it's one of those "sadness and smiles" things. I was intrigued by an episode that showed a woman who had given her son up as a baby, and it was clear - and she said it too - that she had simply closed the door on that chapter in her life (her son was the one who had searched for her) and they were unlikely to form a close relationship.

I like it when people find they have siblings they never knew about.

annsixty Thu 25-Jun-15 16:53:03

It is my guilty pleasure and I do get a bit emotional when it really works out well.I do wonder though if it always lasts or if too much time has passed.

Anniebach Thu 25-Jun-15 17:33:56

I think siblings united is quite moving, I am irritated by American fathers who cleared off and when traced they weep and declare not a day goes by without thinking of his British child, didn't bother looking for the child though

Luckylegs9 Thu 25-Jun-15 17:55:29

I love this programme, but cannot abide Davina simpering and staring when making an announcement. Think I am alone in this though as everyone seems to like her, I just find her irritating, that's putting it mildly.

grannyactivist Thu 25-Jun-15 20:04:23

It was once my job to reunite family members separated from birth or in their early years, so I make a point of watching this programme on catch up TV. I am absolutely certain that there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than we ever see on the screen. I think the programme participants will have been well prepared (counselled) by the appropriate people. I do think that the presenters are the right people for the job, partly because they have personal experience of the issues. Sometimes the cameras linger longer than I'm comfortable with, but overall I think the programme is well done.

NanKate Thu 25-Jun-15 21:43:18

I watched an advert for hair products featuring Davina which was shown during the programme. The lovely lush locks she had in the advert bore no resemblance to her hair in the show. I am not being unkind just stating a fact.

I love the show too.

Grandma2213 Thu 25-Jun-15 22:10:56

I enjoy watching this programme but have been a little cynical about how genuine the relationships are. However I saw a follow up programme a couple of months ago which showed what had happened to some of the families. Some relationships worked. Others, sadly, didn't. I felt this was a more realistic programme and I thought it was brave of them to air it. Recently I have also heard Davina say, in an interview, that for all those reunions that are shown there are many that aren't, either because they do not want to meet or because they do not wish it to be televised. I agree with grannyactivist that the programme seems to ensure that the participants are well prepared by professionals to help with their own emotional welfare.