Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

A Song for Jenny

(13 Posts)
Treebee Mon 06-Jul-15 19:56:03

I was very moved by it. So well written, well acted, painful to watch. Showed how the loss of Jenny affected her whole family.
Gave DD a big hug this afternoon and told her I loved her.

Judthepud2 Mon 06-Jul-15 18:56:54

I watched this last night too. Wonderful acting all round, especially Emily Watson! I was in bits at the funeral scene.

I believe that the taxi driver has never been found, but such a caring person could restore my very limited faith in human nature.

pittcity that must have been a terrible day for you, waiting to hear from your DH. I lived through the worst of the N. Ireland 'Troubles' when nearly everyday brought death and destruction out of the blue, and we watched our towns and cities being demolished, while worrying about loved ones if they were out of sight.

The perpetrators of the current terrorism seem even more sinister!

Luckygirl Mon 06-Jul-15 10:00:06

The actor playing the mother was extraordinary - it all rang true and there was no mawkish over-acting. The scene where the little nephew wanted the grim details of how Jenny might have fallen and threw himself around as if he was playing a cowboy game was particularly well done - because it was so honest. A child would not grasp the enormity of what had happened and would think it through in his own childish way.

The taxi driver who drove the mother all the way home to Reading was just wonderful.

Anya Mon 06-Jul-15 05:26:02

It was particularly poignant given the terrorist attack in Tunisia. Both senseless, evil acts in which innocent people are murdered, and the unbearable pain and loss suffered by their loved ones.

durhamjen Sun 05-Jul-15 22:58:33

Still have tears in my eyes.

durhamjen Sun 05-Jul-15 22:57:50

Not at all religious, but can accept that many people are. That funeral was very powerful.
I did keep wanting to tell her that her family were suffering too.

Recorded Black Work, merlot.

merlotgran Sun 05-Jul-15 22:53:54

Going to have to watch it on iPlayer as I wanted to see the last episode of Black Work.

Anya Sun 05-Jul-15 22:48:45

I too was 'in bits' sad

Pittcity Sun 05-Jul-15 22:27:27

Thanks Luckygirl

His job involves troubleshooting and he had a lot of trouble to shoot that day! He deals regularly with suicides under trains etc.

I suppose being of the generation that lived through the IRA bombings we know that we can't let the b*****rs stop us from carrying on!

Luckygirl Sun 05-Jul-15 22:16:08

Oh Pittcity - how wonderful that he was fine. What a relief that must have been to you. I don't know how you can watch this - but what brilliant acting.

Pittcity Sun 05-Jul-15 22:12:26

Brilliantly acted. I am in bits.
Hits a nerve with me as DH works on the underground at Baker Street and was on the Circle Line train in front of the one that Jenny was on. He got a message to me that he was OK before communications crashed. Instead of being home at tea time, it was the middle of the night before I could breathe easy that day.

tanith Sun 05-Jul-15 22:00:25

I intended to but OH got to the remote first I'll watch it tomorrow on catch up

Luckygirl Sun 05-Jul-15 21:49:05

Is anyone watching this? I had not intended to, but it started while I was on the phone and I could see it was well-acted and stuck with it. Powerful stuff.