Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Jeremy Clarkson HIGNFY

(79 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Fri 02-Oct-15 21:41:11

AIBU to switch off Jeremy Clarkson on the BBC Have I got news for you?

trisher Sat 03-Oct-15 10:36:53

There was a misdemeanor-can't remember exactly what though. Don't like JC and think others have made a much better job of presenting HIGNFY than he did. The reliance on jokes about him made it less of a news show I thought. Of course I suppose it is easier when you have lots of time to write things than it is to produce something about a recent event.

henetha Sat 03-Oct-15 10:41:16

I love HIGNFY no matter who presents it, or whether it is scripted or not.
And I still find Jeremy Clarkson highly watchable. If that makes me
some sort of intellectual cabbage, I don't care! I just enjoy it whatever.
All I ask of light entertainment is that it entertains me. And it does.

granjura Sat 03-Oct-15 10:54:10

Give me drugs and prostitues 1000x over beating up someone to a pulp (had he not been forcefully stopped in his rage) and sheer racism, hey ho.

For me it is not about 'enjoying it' or not- but about principles. He was sacked, for excellent reasons- and should not be back. What was the point of sacking him, and now getting him back. Pure hipocrisy and really bad taste. Which is why I hoped that I would not be the only one to not switch on and get the message to the Beeb. High horse? Yeah and proud of it.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Oct-15 11:46:35

gillybob grin I was waiting for that one!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Oct-15 11:49:17

Not a high horse at all granjura. It could indeed be called hypocrisy.

thatbags Sat 03-Oct-15 11:54:24

In the story I heard he did not beat someone to a pulp, gj.

thatbags Sat 03-Oct-15 11:55:09

Not arguing with the rest of your post, but facts are facts and I don't think it's helpful to exaggerate.

granjura Sat 03-Oct-15 12:48:56

the only reason he didn't, is that people had to hold him away from the guy with considerable force- cannot bear to think what would have happened had he not been forcefully restrained, as he was lashing out in a massive furry.

merlotgran Sat 03-Oct-15 13:32:29

You were there, granjura? hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Oct-15 13:37:08

I very much doubt he would have beaten anyone to a pulp. grin

Ceesnan Sat 03-Oct-15 14:09:19

Do you know this as a fact, granjura, or is this just speculation? I only ask as I happen to know some of his family members quite well and your version differs quite considerably from theirs....Not that it really matters of course, water under the bridge etc.....

rosesarered Sat 03-Oct-15 14:10:20

Beaten to a pulp? What a laugh, it was more of a wildly thrown punch from all accounts.
Not keen on him anyway, and thought he wasn't a patch on Angus Deayton,or Sandi Tosvig ( or various others) as presenters.
HIGNIFY is still ok but not as good as it used to be.

Elegran Sat 03-Oct-15 14:14:16

I wasn't that keen on Angus Deayton. I thought some of the "banter" that took place when he was chairing had an edge of genuine dislike and insult to it.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Oct-15 14:18:36

Yes. That's what made it so good. grin

granjura Sat 03-Oct-15 16:26:59

No I wasn't Merlot- were you?

I read several reports at the time which stated that he lashed out violently and had to be pulled away and restrained with force to stop him doing continuing the violence- didn't you?

He would not have been sacked had it not been a violent attack which could have turned really nasty, would he?

Ana Sat 03-Oct-15 16:32:10

He was sacked for punching the man. Whether or not it 'could have turned really nasty' is beside the point.

merlotgran Sat 03-Oct-15 16:39:25

Obviously I wasn't there, granjura or I would have seen you weren't there either hmm

I also read several reports that he lashed out violently but they were in the Daily Mail so obviously false grin

Lona Sat 03-Oct-15 16:47:15

I've just watched HIGNFY which was quite funny. JC was very wooden whilst reading the autoque, don't know why they had him on when others can do it much better.
Richard Osman is very quick, but Ian Hislop is the one for me, he always makes me laugh.

granjura Sat 03-Oct-15 20:26:41

Hey Merlot, such a shame we were not there, would have been nice to meet you at last ;)

merlotgran Sat 03-Oct-15 20:54:04

Knowing my luck I'd have been washing up in the kitchen and missed all the fun. grin

Lona Sat 03-Oct-15 20:56:37

"autocue"! where did that come from?

Luckygirl Sat 03-Oct-15 21:27:44

I like Paul Merton and his mad "knight's move" thought processes. But Ian H is getting a bit crabby and I wish they would not put all that make-up on him as he looks really weird.

rubylady Sun 04-Oct-15 05:42:49

I was looking forward to watching as I love the programme. I put it on, saw the titles, saw JC and switched off.

I will watch next week to see the adorable Paul and cheeky Ian. grin

thatbags Sun 04-Oct-15 06:49:39

Are there other programmes people don't watch because they don't like the presenter? Just wondering...

Jane10 Sun 04-Oct-15 10:09:24

I thought Jeremy handled it very well. He's always been able to take a joke against himself (SeeQI). I actually thought the worse of Richard Osman. His comments were so obviously pre scripted.
I was watching at DD's. They have a fancy TV. HD or something. Ian Hislop looked very over made up. Was quite off putting! Happily back home to our old steam powered telly.