Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Rudolf Nureyev

(10 Posts)
mrsmopp Sun 10-Jan-16 19:41:23

Amazing!
Do you think they all have a personal chiropodist? They must do damage to their feet!

Elegran Sun 10-Jan-16 19:11:37

"Nureyev's foot" by Richard Avedon s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5a/72/55/5a725509167be999e7f9c2fb7f809f60.jpg

mrsmopp Sun 10-Jan-16 18:51:06

I thought he was stunning, fantastic good looks and massive charisma. He fascinated me, I couldn't take me eyes off him. Never had the chance to see him live, so have to make do with you tube clips. He will never be forgotten. His partnership with Margot Fonteyn was a perfect match.
Thanks for the info about his biography - I will look for it.

HannahLoisLuke Sun 10-Jan-16 17:43:05

I loved it too having seen him perform a few times both at Covent Garden and the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford on Avon. Did the fan thing of waiting at the stage door for his autograph. He very kindly obliged even though there was a dark blue Bentley filled with flowers waiting to whisk him away. Memories!
If you're a real Nureyev fan I recommend the biography by Julie Kavanagh. A long read but very absorbing.

Bellanonna Sun 20-Dec-15 21:49:19

Watched last night and found it fascinating. Some lovely dancing too, and good to see the people who danced with him, and knew him at the time.

Deedaa Sun 20-Dec-15 21:19:19

Only watched a few minutes, but I've got it recorded for later. Did anyone else ever see the programme they did about him shortly before he died, when he was walking barefoot round his home and his feet were absolutely wrecked!

whitewave Sun 20-Dec-15 10:53:26

Got it recorded

whenim64 Sun 20-Dec-15 09:18:22

Yes, I found it fascinating. A complex character, but his performances were amazing. I was a teenager when he defected and hadn't picked up all the stuff about the KGB and his isolation in the Paris apartment. Very interesting.

felice Sun 20-Dec-15 08:18:45

I agree I really enjoyed it, I saw him at my first ballet with my Aunt when i was 10, wonderful dancer.

mrsmopp Sun 20-Dec-15 01:46:27

I really enjoyed this programme about Nureyev's defection to the West in 1961 as i clearly remember the event. He was an amazing dancer and his partnership with Margot Fonteyn is legendary. I found the programme fascinating because it was presented by people who knew him which made it much more personal.