Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Danish Girl

(50 Posts)
NanKate Sat 09-Jan-16 20:02:53

I didn't want to be home this afternoon when the electrician came, so told DH I was taking myself off to see the Danish Girl at the cinema as I like the actor Eddy Redmayne.

The acting was good, especially his co-star, I have no problem with the subject matter, but I noticed that I kept looking at my watch to see when it would end.

I got a bit fed up with Eddy R looking so coy all the time and all of the close ups of him simpering (yes I think that is the word)

Well I would be really interested to see what others thought on GN.

Tegan Mon 18-Jan-16 23:47:42

No. I think she meant 'Room'. I haven't seen it yet but it reminds me of The Lovely Bones; very strange subject matter as a book and seemingly impossible to make a film of but I loved both of them [TLB's that is]. I can understand jingle's reservations about the subject matter of 'Room' but if Mark Kermode says I need to see it then see it I shall. Just got back from seeing The Revenant. Can't say I would advise anyone to see it but I was transfixed by it for nearly 3 hours. A chap in the cinema who had read the book said he thought it was superb albeit being nothing like the book which he recommended. Bridge of Spies next. Have seen so many amazing films lately, all of which have been completely different.

NanKate Mon 18-Jan-16 22:25:40

Jing why should the book never have been written ? Serious question. I assume you are referring to The Danish Girl not the other films on discussion ?

friends123 Mon 18-Jan-16 12:12:00

The Train (1964?) B/W unbeatable

Tegan Sun 17-Jan-16 23:06:16

Wasn't planning to see it at first but I'm hoping to fit it in at some point as Mark Kermode is raving about it. So many good films out at the moment. The Revenant tomorrow; should have gone today but was a bit 'filmed out' after going two days running.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 17-Jan-16 22:50:14

Sorry blush

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 17-Jan-16 22:49:55

Hate that book. Will never watch film. Book should never have been written.

Lyndie Sun 17-Jan-16 22:37:41

I saw the Room today with a friend. Didn't look at my watch once. Very thought provoking. Not much feel good factor. It's different.

Elrel Sun 17-Jan-16 13:43:36

Nothing on tv last night so I watched 45 Years with Charlotte Rampling and Tom Courtenay. Although their acting was good I wish I hadn't bothered. I was interested to see the room in Norwich where the Trafalgar Ball was held though.

Tegan Sun 17-Jan-16 12:52:32

It's about a young Irish girl who moves to America and is then torn between staying there or moving back home. Wonderful cameo performances from Jim Broadbent and Julie Walters. I laughed a lot and cried a lot. I haven't read a bad review about it anywhere; it's absolutely beautiful. No longer on general release though; it just came back to our cinema by demand.

NanKate Sat 16-Jan-16 22:05:43

Jing mine cost £11.00.

Tegan what is Brooklyn about please?

Tegan Sat 16-Jan-16 21:09:28

Just got back from seeing Brooklyn. Absolute classic of a film.

Welshwife Sat 16-Jan-16 20:58:24

I found Bridge of Spies interesting - I remember very well Gary Powers being shot down and the trial in Russia etc. but I knew little about the Russian traded in the exchange. I thought the incidentals of the story - such as the building of the Berlin Wall and how it impacted on people's lives gave great insight to people too young to know about it at the time. The Tom Hanks character was also a clever and complex man about whom I knew nothing.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 16-Jan-16 20:56:42

The trouble with the Shewee and similar, is that it has a narrow 'pipe' for the wee to go down, so, if you go too fast it backs up, and goes down your leg. This never happens when you try it at home, but just about always does when out in the country.

this item has, apparently, got round that problem by having an open tube. According to the reviews it never fails.

But look at the price!!!

Ana Sat 16-Jan-16 20:36:14

Or show you how to use it discreetly...grin

An indispensable piece of equipment for the intrepid traveller, whether they have a bladder problem or not IMO.

NanKate Sat 16-Jan-16 20:26:25

Yes Shizam I practised in the shower with the device and it works a treat. We often travel on the M25 and if there is a very long hold up, I for one won't be caught out. If you do buy one have a look on Youtube as they discreetly show how to use it. grin

cayuga123 Sat 16-Jan-16 19:39:36

Yes we also enjoyed Bridge of Spies. Tom Hanks perfectly cast. Mark Rylance brilliant. Not sure I want to see The Revernant. I saw Joy with a friend which we quite enjoyed but my DH wouldn't have done.

Shizam Sat 16-Jan-16 19:03:57

Off p*ssed Nankate?! Sounds dead handy. Now off to look at that device.

Shinyredcar Sat 16-Jan-16 17:42:54

I saw this film last week after hearing/reading a lot of reviews. I agree with the majority of posters. It was very beautiful and technically very satisfying. Alicia Vikander deserves her Oscar nomination but why is it for 'Supporting Actor'? Wasn't she the star? I was irritated by Eddie Redmayne's Lady Di impression, and thought he gave a very one-note performance. His fault? Or the director's?

NanKate Sat 16-Jan-16 17:31:08

Tegan I bought my Shewee from Amazon in a stylish purple !

JessM Sat 16-Jan-16 17:26:12

Just been to see Bridge of Spies. An absolute knockout of a film.
We've just acquired a local cinema so a great novelty! And what better thing to do when the weather is so dire.
Went to see Grandma with Lili Tomlin yesterday. I am a great admirer and it was good to see a feminist film, about an older women (and her really bad day!)
Might go and see Carol tomorrow. What film-gluttony.
Woman in a Van last week - another one for an older actress and doesn't Maggie Smith act her socks off in it. Been squandering her talents on Harry Potter and Downton lately.

TrishTopcat Sat 16-Jan-16 13:07:33

Bridge of Spies was wonderful, gripped all the way through. I love Tom Hanks, and have hardly ever seen him in a movie that I didn't enjoy, but Mark Rylance was fantastic, though he hardly spoke a word, all in the facial expression, and the plot was good too.

I wanted to see the Steve Jobs film, but missed it - has anyone else seen it?

The new Star Wars was good, took the grandchildren on Boxing Day

nanaGill Sat 16-Jan-16 12:57:03

Yes, I'm interested in Bridge of Spies. Tom Hanks is always worth watching, but so is Mark Rylance - brilliant as Thomas Cromwell. Will try to catch it at my local cinema when it comes

tigger Sat 16-Jan-16 12:02:51

The Danish Girl doesn't appeal, saw The Revenant, very good, but bleak, brutal, bloody and gruesome. A good one to watch is The Bridge of Spies, loved it, gripping and of course Tom Hanks is brilliant.

Tegan Sat 16-Jan-16 11:43:52

It's interesting to hear that you felt the film caught the essence of the books nanaGill. I'm certainly still thinking about the film; if a film is really bad I tend to forget I've even seen it. NanKate; I tried to buy a Shewee from a few walking shops and they no longer sold them. Still on my tick list of things to buy but, knowing me if there was an occasion when I needed to use one I probably wouldn't have it with me.

nanaGill Sat 16-Jan-16 10:44:10

I saw The Danish Girl last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought ER was fantastic. An even more subtle performance than TToE(fewer prosthetics, more ACTING) - for which he got the best actor Oscar. Yes, it is a beautiful film. I have read both of the books it is based on and I think they caught the essence of the story, although the ending was changed. Alicia Vikander is superb too.