Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Happy Valley Series 2

(337 Posts)
Atqui Mon 08-Feb-16 11:15:03

I watched the first series because it was compulsive viewing, but found it v disturbing. Now I'm thinking, Do I watch the next, or leave it alone? Out of interest ,does anyone else share that view.

cornergran Tue 09-Feb-16 22:38:25

Loved it!

Elrel Tue 09-Feb-16 23:38:43

I started watching Series 1 because I love the area and carried on in spite of the disturbing scenes because the quality of the acting and production just had me gripped. Plenty of disturbance in the first episode of Series 2 but I shall have to watch it all. So many dodgy characters, where did Tommy Lee get the creepy girlfriend? I've no idea who the woman in the coma and her family were, were they in the first series?
As another poster has said, there is so much in tonight's episode relating to the first series that you'd miss a lot if you hadn't watched it first.

numberplease Wed 10-Feb-16 00:05:13

I`m relieved! I thought it was my ears that were at fault, but the mumbling only happened when Sarah Lancashire was speaking, and also the blonde woman who the detective was having an affair with.

Eloethan Wed 10-Feb-16 00:15:04

I thought series 1 was gripping and brilliant.

I found the start of this first episode rather unpleasant, with the rather jokey handling of the injured animal story - I'm not a fan of black humour.

I was very gripped by the rest of it but it's undoubtedly very grim. I'll stick with it though because the setting, the script and the acting are so good.

Who was the young woman who visited the convicted killer in prison? Was she in the first series?

I too found some of the dialogue difficult to hear.

rubylady Wed 10-Feb-16 02:07:30

It's not Last Tango in Halifax, is it? Bring that one back, much more easy going.

Luckylegs9 Wed 10-Feb-16 06:34:38

It was gruesome, where did the weirdo girlfriend come from, she wasn't there before. How could that slightly built woman do all that to a 6ft man, without help, have you ever tried to lift a dead weight of 4 stone, so didn't find that credible really. But found it gripping and watch next week.

Alima Wed 10-Feb-16 07:12:42

In the 1st series a woman was kidnapped. She was the daughter of a factory owner. It was his wife who was dying (cancer). Cath's sister knew her then through the kidnapping Cath came to know her.
The dodgy girlfriend was not in the first series, apparently she is one of those people who visit/become infatuated with prisoners. As Tommy Lee is in prison it is her doing his bidding on the "outside" - I think!

Greyduster Wed 10-Feb-16 07:52:32

It is going to be hard going, this series, I think. Shirley Henderson (the wierdo girlfriend) is a brilliant actress and this is the sort of part she excels in. As far as the killer of Tommy Lee's mother is concerned, my early money is on the old school friend of Catherine's sister. Definitely something dodgy about him - he couldn't wait to get out of the room when he found out Catherine was a police officer. Nice to see Katherine Kelly in this one too.

Lona Wed 10-Feb-16 08:16:07

I didn't watch the first series, didn't realise it was written by Sally Wainwright. I thought it was difficult to tell what they were saying sometimes, especially when Sarah L was speaking so quickly. I thought she was very good in the part though. When I was a policewoman I had a woman sergeant who was just like her, quite scary but with a sharp,dark sense of humour.

Iam64 Wed 10-Feb-16 08:22:34

The police are renowned for dark humour, as in the dead sheep incident. It happens in other areas of work too, where as the sergeant said to the new pcso - you wipe your feet when you leave the house. (been there…..)

wot Wed 10-Feb-16 09:45:04

It nearly put me off seeing and hearing that poor sheep. Please tell me it wasn't a real one.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 10-Feb-16 09:49:09

Yes. It was a real one. And she really did clock it with a heavy rock.

#pants on fire

merlotgran Wed 10-Feb-16 09:49:43

That valet bloke from Downton Abbey (can't remember his name) should have stuck to teaching in the village school.

Bad idea to join the police force. grin

merlotgran Wed 10-Feb-16 09:51:49

Could have been worse though.

At least it wasn't Carson's bottom we were forced to look at shock

wot Wed 10-Feb-16 09:54:09

Yuk!

Ana Wed 10-Feb-16 10:06:03

It was a bit strange to see Scott and Bailey's boss playing the woman he's been having an affair with though...

ninathenana Wed 10-Feb-16 10:09:39

I could have written the script as soon as he walked in the pub and the mistress had a drink waiting for him.
Despite having seen the first series I'm also confused as to whom the lady they were visiting that died was. Why didn't the nurses chatting at the nurses station stop them before they walked in and found the bed empty tisk, tisk.

ninathenana Wed 10-Feb-16 10:11:33

And Mr. Selfridges friend interrogating Catherine.

Charleygirl Wed 10-Feb-16 10:17:18

I watched the first series and loved it but the jury is out re this one. Luckily I had switched on sub titles- Sarah Lancashire was the worst, mumbling and speaking very quickly.

Having forgotten what had gone on in the last series, a lot of the plot was lost on me not knowing who some of the characters were.

I thought that the incident with the sheep was totally unnecessary.

I will watch next week's episode and then make up my mind.

GillT57 Wed 10-Feb-16 10:29:11

Loved it.

tanith Wed 10-Feb-16 10:31:35

Wasn't the 'odd' woman prison visitor the actor who played Moaning Myrtle in Harry Potter? She sure sounded the same . A lot has become clearer from reading all the posts here thanks..

Greyduster Wed 10-Feb-16 12:04:31

Yes, tanith she is!

LullyDully Wed 10-Feb-16 12:37:25

Ah tanith....moaning murtle I was trying to place her!!!!! Thanks, of course.

tanith Wed 10-Feb-16 12:53:34

Thought so , come to think of it she even had the same hair and glasses, or am I imagining that? grin

Jalima Wed 10-Feb-16 12:59:07

I did have to put on sub-titles, the mumbling and the accent combined with very fast speech made it very difficult to follow in parts. And introducing new characters as well as characters we I had forgotten all about from the last series got me rather confused

I thought it was Shirley Henderson (The Way We Live Now?, haven't seen Harry Potter) but she doesn't seem to age, so I wasn't sure. Gosh, I just looked her up and she'd 50!! She must keep a mirror in the attic.

As a detective I think Kevin Doyle would make a very good footman. However, his role may become significant unless the storyline is just a red herring.