Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Dr Thorne

(30 Posts)
Coolgran65 Fri 11-Mar-16 14:46:24

Did anyone watch Dr Thorne last week. I missed most of it, didn't get into it, and want to know if it's worth watching episode one on catch up ready for the rest of the series.
Any opinions?

Deedaa Fri 01-Apr-16 17:55:43

I finally caught up with the last episode and thoroughly enjoyed it. Lovely to see everyone get their comeuppance! I did love the costumes. Some of the ladies dresses really caught the look of artificial silk and violent chemical dyes that were being introduced. I've got a bound volume of the Englishwoman's Domestic Magazine and the dresses could have come straight out of one of the fashion plates.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 25-Mar-16 17:12:17

I must be really shallow. grin I loved it. Though I did wonder what was going on with all the flowers on their heads. The dresses were pretty, and lovely garden.

Imperfect27 Fri 25-Mar-16 15:46:27

I watched all three episodes on catchup Tv, but found my attention wandering. It lacked something - hard to say what, but it was very clichéd. Easy viewing, but I kept thinking BBC would have done it better.

J52 Fri 25-Mar-16 14:57:45

His man was not in the room when he put the glass down. I re ran it to check!

X

MargaretX Fri 25-Mar-16 14:23:27

The novel Dr Thorne was full of pages and pages of thoughts and heart searchings about every single aspect of life. You can't condense that into a play where everybody just stares and confines themselves to three sentences of speech.

I was bored stiff after 10 minutes and hope that better drama will be on offer soon - better not the classics.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 25-Mar-16 09:59:39

blush Yes. It dawned on me after I posted. #barmy

Jalima Thu 24-Mar-16 23:09:52

Wallander was the Swedish detective

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 24-Mar-16 22:51:53

J52 are you sure his man wasn't giving him a continuous refill?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 24-Mar-16 22:49:53

Oh yes. Hollander.

Who's Tom Wallander then? confused

J52 Thu 24-Mar-16 22:11:15

Oops - Or even 'a vase of flowers'

J52 Thu 24-Mar-16 22:10:18

Continuity again!! When Louis walked into the room to see Mary, before going out to dinner, he had an empty brandy glass. He put it down on a table that only held a vase of flowers. Seconds later he picked it up again half full of brandy!

Can we all have a case of flowers that does that?

X

Alea Thu 24-Mar-16 21:42:10

Hollander, Jingl! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 24-Mar-16 20:51:25

Haa! Just watched the last episode. smile It was very sweet, in a short story kind of way.

I think I'm getting a thing for Tom Wallander.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 23-Mar-16 22:35:09

I have just watched two episodes on catchup. It's very good. smile

Jane10 Sat 12-Mar-16 09:38:06

Its on vs Indian Summers tomorrow -which to record?!

Elrel Sat 12-Mar-16 08:46:59

Some good acting, enjoyable light drama. For me not a 'must watch' but a pleasant distraction.
As so often I'm thinking I should read the book ...

Alea Sat 12-Mar-16 08:20:58

Thank you Pittcity! I suspect Trollope is a much overlooked writer, unlike Dickens, who IMHO is overrated.
He was indeed a sharp observer of Victorian society, of politics, of the Church of England.
His books are witty and very readable without being caricatures. Worth trying are The Way We Live Now, Can You Forgive Her? The Barchester Chronicles, The Pallisers. . . I could go for n!

Pittcity Sat 12-Mar-16 07:59:02

Julian didn't write it he only adapted it for TV. It is an Anthony Trollope novel and he is famed for his tongue in cheek view of what was going on at the time that he wrote.

Pippa000 Sat 12-Mar-16 06:23:45

It seems to me to be a take of, of everything that a Victorian melodrama should be. The wicked uncle with lots of money, the pretty but poor heroine, the lovesick but broke aristocrat, who has to marry money, the scheming mother etc. Quite amusing. I imagined Julian Fellows having a list if necessary characters and their mannerisms, ticking them off as he wrote them in to the story. Fun but certainly not a serious story line.

Eloethan Fri 11-Mar-16 23:17:03

I watched it for about 15 mins and then gave up. I found it corny and cliched and even wondered whether it was meant to be a sneaky parody. Apart from Tom Hollander, I didn't believe in any of the other characters and I thought that Rebecca Front was over-the-top.

Alea Fri 11-Mar-16 21:57:25

Love Trollope! Read them all over the years.
I have enjoyed dramatisations in the past, The Pallisers and Barchester Towers. Do you remember the incomparable Alan Rickman sad.as the oleaginous Obadiah Slope? Trollope could have written it for him!

Deedaa Fri 11-Mar-16 21:56:32

I enjoyed it. Rebecca Front is beautifully horrible and Tom Hollander is always worth seeing in anything.

merlotgran Fri 11-Mar-16 21:53:37

Bored rigid after ten minutes. hmm

Jane10 Fri 11-Mar-16 21:50:09

It was OK. An adaptation of a Trollope novel rather than a Julian Fellowes story. Its no Downton.

Coolgran65 Fri 11-Mar-16 21:31:49

Thank you all... sounds like it's worth it smile