Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Netflix

(39 Posts)
Felix2007 Tue 19-Apr-16 18:00:28

I have just signed up for a month's free trial with Netflix, (persuaded by my daughter) but can't really find anything worth watching. Most of it is films I have already seen, violent and rubbishy juvenile action movies, or long TV series. Can anyone recommend something that is worth watching please?

Nordog Mon 13-Jun-16 22:42:40

My wife is never realy interested in any films as her parents never went to the flicks through out her childhood the first time she went was with me to see the Battle Of Britain.
I not so keen on any soap type series or most American modern films but I do like the old film stars like James Stewart John Wayne etc with Doris Day and most musicals like Soth Pasific Seven brides or West side Story, Sound of Music, manly because I love singing and I sing in a locl choir.
Netflic no thanks.

Grannyknot Sun 05-Jun-16 09:19:00

Hi everyone, we watched a great "feelgood" movie on Netflix last night called Chef. It's quite a new film, set mainly in Florida, sort of a contemporary road trip movie. No sex and very little swearing smile

Keep posting on here if you watch anything good, we can build a "recommended" list.

hildajenniJ Sun 15-May-16 08:52:33

Here's a very interesting article from the Telegraph about hidden features of Netflix. You will find out all you need to know about subtitling. I love Netflix ??

mrsmopp Sun 15-May-16 00:14:13

I'm deaf and need subtitles for everything I watch. Does Netflix provide this?
If they don't then my choice is severely limited so I wouldn't be signing up for it.

Linbrikat Mon 09-May-16 18:32:58

Young people love Netflix because they're now used to 'binge-watching' TV programmes. I've often read that they've discovered a new show and watched the entire 20 or so episodes over one weekend! When they go back to watching TV the 'old-fashioned' way, they complain about having to wait a whole week for the next episode.

Felix2007 Tue 03-May-16 17:00:28

Thanks changeznameza. That will keep my busy for a while.

Felix2007 Tue 03-May-16 16:59:06

Just watched What We Did on Our Holidays!! Great laugh.

changeznameza Sat 23-Apr-16 11:56:13

I've watched some great stuff on Netflix recently. As HazelGreen said, you have to search for them though, as they don't always show up on the "home page". Here are a few, old and new, that id recommend:

North and South
Daniel Deronda
First few series of Call the Midwife
The Good Wife
Pride and Prejudice
What we did on our holiday
The young Victoria
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries
Land Girls
Wuthering heights
Into the Wild
Still Alice
Uncle Buck
Testament of youth
Junebug
The Help
My brother's keeper (US documentary)
And many more!

I find that once you've watched something they are quite good at recommending other similar things in the same genre, so your homepage will become more relevant. I wouldn't be without it smile

HazelGreen Fri 22-Apr-16 18:58:41

I find Netflix good for when away from home ... you can access your account from wherever you can pick up wifi and the choice can vary with regions. As you watch material, you will be asked to rate your item. Netflix then works out type of film that you watch and makes suggestions based on your preferences. You can also note possible items to view and make up your own list to view.

There is a search facility so you can enter the name of a film or actor etc and it will come back with suggestions that are available for viewing. Films are also given star ratings. For an more independent assessment and more background information, I will use the 'rottentomatoes' website to do research on specific titles.

bellabrusco Fri 22-Apr-16 17:12:35

The website I love for films is
Curzonhomecinema.com
Great to watch foreign films
And other less mainstream British films. And older classic films.
You don't pay a subscription but you pay for films individually. Some are only a couple of pounds the more recent ones may be about a tenner.
I love it!

petra Fri 22-Apr-16 16:55:35

If you like fantasy, Maleficent is lovely. It's basically Sleeping Beauty.
I'm not a lover of Angelina Jolly but she is brilliant in it.

AlgeswifeVal Fri 22-Apr-16 16:44:37

Got rid of Netflix just after Christmas and have now gone over to Now TV. I must say we like it better. They have Sky box sets and programmes that are shown on Sky Atlantic.

maggic Fri 22-Apr-16 14:57:09

'Homeland' - gripping!

SuzieG Fri 22-Apr-16 12:38:28

Thanks for the suggestions. We transferred from Lovefilm and have been watching Better Call Saul and House of Cards

annodomini Fri 22-Apr-16 12:05:26

And you try to kid us that you're taking A-level English? Definitely?

Granspammy Fri 22-Apr-16 11:31:23

Definatly think you should watch prison break or pretty little liars it's a great watch !! confused

BRedhead59 Fri 22-Apr-16 11:21:01

Goodwife

Kayteeb53 Fri 22-Apr-16 10:38:43

I have to confess to loving the Stargate series, all of them! Have ploughed through Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe - not everyone's cup of tea but I do like odd programmes!

Voni Fri 22-Apr-16 10:22:47

Suits is the best, closely followed by
House of cards
, orange is the new black

Mommaberyl1 Fri 22-Apr-16 10:19:47

Sons of Anarchy is a must. The first four episodes are a little slow but stick with it. My whole family have watched it and have been hooked!!!

Nvella Fri 22-Apr-16 10:19:18

Another vote for Orange is the New Black

ClaraB Fri 22-Apr-16 10:10:27

We got rid of Sky, didn't miss it at all, saved a lot of money and signed up to Netflix a year ago which we love. Our son also logs on so it's really good value.
We are currently wading through Breaking Bad, have watched all of Luther and I've just discovered Orange is the new Black. We're not avid film watchers but last weekend we did enjoy Still Alice, although it was very sad.

mischief Fri 22-Apr-16 10:10:12

You can dip in amd out of Netflix by cancelling your membership when there's nothing new you want to watch, then signing up again when there is.

My Favourites List:
House of Cards
Suits
The Good Wife
Breaking Bad

Amazon Prime is also a good one to sign up to, they have different things like the Viking series, which is great. They also fund a lot of good series which are only on Prime. Also, if you buy from Amazon you can get free next delivery with Prime.

Happy watching.

NonnaAnnie Fri 22-Apr-16 09:58:23

Love Netflix.........but my pet hate is the way we in the UK are calling a 'series' a 'season'.

Grrrrr, we are NOT American!

BillieW Thu 21-Apr-16 19:33:05

My daughter recommended True Detective, haven't watched it yet but it is on our list. The other one was 'the making of a murderer', that is a true story in America, but disturbing, because it isn't fiction.