Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

MUM

(29 Posts)
PRINTMISS Sun 05-Jun-16 09:02:15

Anyone else been enjoying this very 'simple' programme. I think it is hilarious and sad at the same time.

Judthepud2 Mon 20-Jun-16 21:37:18

The elderly parents in Mum were hilarious! Lesley Manville was brilliant. I thought the character of the girlfriend was so poignant, a damaged unconfident person desperate to be loved and accepted for who she was. The actress who played her got this across so well.

I love understated drama like this!

Him and Her: the Wedding was so well observed. I cringed throughout! Bridzilla!

LullyDully Mon 20-Jun-16 11:17:53

P.S. must admit I thought Mum was played by Cherie Lungi, at first , they look similar to me. Good job I didn't say that in the hearing of the other female characters...ugh...old people.

J52 Mon 20-Jun-16 11:13:42

Just looked, but couldn't see it via I player, so googled it and the 5 wedding episodes came up on the BBC web page.

Funny, but so cringeworthy ?

J52 Mon 20-Jun-16 11:08:48

Him and Her was very good. I only saw the programmes focussed on the wedding. Once again beautifully observed characters! The 'Bridezilla' of all time. Should be still available on I player.

Tegan Mon 20-Jun-16 10:23:23

I didn't hear that; look forward to seeing more of it. Must try to find Him and Her as well.

cazthebookworm Mon 20-Jun-16 10:07:18

I thought the announcer said at the end of the last programme of "Mum" that a second series was to be made.....certainly hope so, it was wonderful, so well observed and of course, wonderfully acted by all the cast without exception. It was written by an English/Polish writer Stefan Golaswzewski who wrote a previous comedy series which I never saw, called "Him and Her." A very talented young man,

Teetime Mon 20-Jun-16 09:24:00

I agree with everything you have just said lullydully probably the only two programmes I am enjoying at the moment.

LullyDully Mon 20-Jun-16 08:39:10

I shall miss Mum and Love Nina. They were so refreshing. I loved the daft girlfriend who got so much out of her relationship with the mum despite her not saying much. Very clever and beautifully observed bit of human behaviour in modern times. I also enjoyed Helena Bonham Carter's understated, quiet role with the intelligent asides.

Tegan Sun 19-Jun-16 21:39:36

Were they the last ones on Friday? They've both been wonderful.

Teetime Wed 08-Jun-16 06:35:29

Love Mum I think all the acting is very good and her male friend is wonderful I hope they get together.

Eloethan Wed 08-Jun-16 00:25:12

I like it - some really obnoxious, but funny, characters, especially Lesley Manville's brother's girlfriend.

I think the son's girlfriend is hilarious - and so clever of the actress to make such a crass and often rude character still come across as endearing.

Alima Tue 07-Jun-16 19:05:16

Snap Tegan, so have I. Very good aren't they.

Tegan Tue 07-Jun-16 19:01:33

Just caught up with all missed episodes of Mum and Love Nina, and love both of them...the former being so bitter sweet at times it's almost painful to watch....

grannylyn65 Sun 05-Jun-16 18:16:01

Both Alea, time to multitask !!!

LullyDully Sun 05-Jun-16 17:54:57

( Yes noticed the screen play was written by Nick Hornby , not the original story. The trailer confused me.)

Alea Sun 05-Jun-16 16:36:35

Sorry, just spotted Tegan's post /key change. Apologies blush

Alea Sun 05-Jun-16 16:35:33

Have I missed something? Are we talking about Love, Nina or Mum?

Grannyknot Sun 05-Jun-16 14:23:55

The Nina Stibbe book that the series is based on was featured (or maybe just discussed) on Gransnet. She also did a web chat on another one of her books: www.gransnet.com/forums/books_book_club/1217111-Man-at-the-Helm-July-book-club

Maggiemaybe Sun 05-Jun-16 12:41:10

The book was written by Nina Stibbe about her own experiences, and from letters she wrote to her sister at the time she was a nanny. I think Nick Hornby adapted it for the series.

LullyDully Sun 05-Jun-16 12:32:34

It's a Nikl Hornbey book about a Nanny....he of About a Boy etc.

annsixty Sun 05-Jun-16 12:08:00

Loving Mum but I do want to shake them all up.

Tegan Sun 05-Jun-16 11:46:14

I must watch it on catchup; was away when I saw the first episode which I loved. also liked the new series that was on before it, about the nanny [the one with Helena Bonham Carter in it]. I think they got the idea from the series from Lesley Manvilles role in the film 'Another Year'.

LullyDully Sun 05-Jun-16 11:37:16

Very enjoyable, the girlfriend is so naive and crass. I love her, especially as she warms to mum and finds a warmer mum than her own. The younger generation are appallingly patronising, haven't met that myself thank goodness.

It is bittersweet and I am enjoying it.

willsmadnan Sun 05-Jun-16 10:22:54

I like it too, but like grannylyn I find it all the females with the exception of Mum intensely irritating. I want to shout at the tv , 'Just tell them to shut up' or worse words not to be written on a Sunday! And when is she going to realise her late husband's best friend is yearning to take their relationship to another level. He's such a sweetie ..... wish I'd got one like him to help me clear out the attic! I just wish she had a bit more oomph, but then it wouldn't perhaps have its simple charm.

kittylester Sun 05-Jun-16 10:02:24

I absolutely love it and liken it to the Cafe which is my all time favourite comedy.