Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Proms

(23 Posts)
whitewave Sat 22-Jul-17 18:33:19

Listened to the John Williams night. What an utterly astounding composer he is I am in awe!!

Greyduster Sat 22-Jul-17 19:24:38

I caught up with this this afternoon - missed it on Friday. Brilliant. I have a couple of CDs of his music that I play in the car.

Deedaa Sat 22-Jul-17 21:39:42

I didn't think the sound was awfully good, but that might just have been me. Can't imagine any of the films without his music.

Greyduster Sun 23-Jul-17 09:19:29

They had a Prom last year with the John Wilson Orchestra. He plays music from MGM musicals, Rogers and Hammerstein and the like. The orchestra is wonderful and he is an enjoyable conductor to watch.
I also managed to catch up with Daniel Barenboim's Elgar concerts and it made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. The doyen of conductors.

Humbertbear Sun 23-Jul-17 09:45:08

We listened to the Prom last night live from the Albert Hall. The first half hour was a dissection of Beethoven's 3rd symphony (to be played later in the evening' . This included having the audience sing various themes from the music. It reminded me very much of the Ernest Read Children's Concerts I attended when I was a child. I thought it was totally inappropriate for an evening concert and should have been in a Family slot in the afternoon. That said, the performance, when they got round to it, was excellent.

Swanny Sun 23-Jul-17 20:28:26

Many moons ago when I was 15 I was in my school choir when we participated in a local competition. The interlude while the judges made their decision was performed by John Williams playing guitar. I can't remember who won the competition but I'll never forget being mesmerised by JW, he was brilliant. Whether it was the same John Williams I don't know, but whenever I hear the name I am instantly back in that hall, spellbound. Despite being in the school choir and having piano lessons over several years that was the first time music made me so emotional I cried.

Greyduster Sun 23-Jul-17 20:46:21

They are not one and the same, Swanny, but I bet they admire each other' work hugely. After the late Andreas Segovia, John Williams is probably the finest classical guitar player in the world and you were right to be mesmerised by him. I saw him some years ago in concert with Julian Bream. Incomparable.

Swanny Sun 23-Jul-17 21:50:17

Thanks Greyduster - I've often wondered if they were 2 different people.

whitewave Fri 04-Aug-17 16:50:41

Tonight Ella Fitzgerald and Dizzy Gillespie, in centenary year of their births.

merlotgran Sun 13-Aug-17 20:05:02

Wow! Rachmaninov's third piano concerto tonight.

Stunning performance. Absolutely breathtaking.

Swanny Sun 13-Aug-17 21:06:01

Oh yes! Found it while clicking through channels - mesmerising.

Greyduster Sun 13-Aug-17 21:07:17

Another one to revel in on catchup!

Greyduster Tue 15-Aug-17 08:32:47

I watched the Rach 3 on the iPad last night and it was a wonderful sensitive performance.

merlotgran Sat 09-Sep-17 22:54:13

Rather odd Last Night I thought. There seemed to be a lot of padding and the announcement that two of the parks - Glasgow and Swansea had 'left' before the finale hasn't happened before has it?

confused

callgirl1 Sat 09-Sep-17 23:10:22

It was a bit different to the norm, and I didn`t enjoy the first few minutes, but after that I loved it! I`ll be at the Albert Hall again in November, for another Classical Spectacular, the one in March was fantastic.

JoyBloggs Sat 09-Sep-17 23:13:03

merlot I thought it was an odd Last Night, too. Yes, far too much padding. Very disappointed, had been looking forward to it, usually really enjoy it.

felice Sun 10-Sep-17 08:44:25

I am glad I was not the only one who thought it was a bit odd last night, very strange about Wales and Scotland too, weather perhaps??
Of course my usual gripe about Auld Lang Zyne instead of Syne.
Don't I remember there being a soloist on stage for Jerusalem in the past.

loopyloo Sun 10-Sep-17 09:32:51

On too late, I thought. Yes too much padding. But 'Jerusalem' thought provoking as usual.

Deedaa Sun 10-Sep-17 21:44:42

The weather in Wales was certainly diabolical. In the past we've had some wonderful soloists for Jerusalem.

callgirl1 Sun 10-Sep-17 22:34:36

Jerusalem was our school song, the only thing about school that I liked, I love the song!

paddyann Sun 10-Sep-17 22:46:40

weather was fine in Glasgow,I have to admit to turning off half way through though so didn't know the parks had left early .When I was little on Sunday evenings Dad and Granny played piano ,some classics some Opera ,my dad had a wonderful voice and some things we kids could join in ,they always ended with the Last Night of the Proms medley ,fantastic memories .It always leaves me in tears these days though and I felt quite low last night anyway so decided it wasn't for me .My friend said there was a lot of EU flags but she didn't see any Saltires

felice Mon 11-Sep-17 22:01:51

Yes I noticed that too, in fact I started to look for Saltires or Lion Rampants, none, but a lot of EU flags. Making a statement perhaps?????

merlotgran Mon 11-Sep-17 22:50:48

I read online today that it was the BBC's decision to pull the plug on Glasgow and Scotland.

Apparently (if reports are to be believed) the singing of Jerusalem is likely to upset some because of the references to England. I can only presume NI don't give a shit toss. grin