Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Surprisingly 'good telly'!

(7 Posts)
Imperfect27 Wed 02-Aug-17 08:40:14

I found myself watching 'In the Factory' last night just because there didn't seem to be much on. Greg Wallace followed the production of chocolate digestives through the largest biscuit factory in England. I was surprised at all the technology in use that has evidently been developed by brilliant minds. And I didn't expect to come across 'precision engineering' in a biscuit factory, but the lazer cut brass rollers used to shape and press the biscuits are works of art! Who knew the chocolate biscuits we enjoy are the product of so much hi-tech and intricate design? I said to DH I am surprised they don't cost more, but then millions can be made everyday ...

I do wonder of supermarkets see a spike in sales after such a programme too - I got a packet in!

Is there anything you have watched that has surprised and informed you beyond expectations lately?

Greyduster Wed 02-Aug-17 09:04:54

I didn't watch the programme last night, but DH said how fascinating it was. If I can put to one side my intense dislike of Greg Wallace (I find his teeth quite frightening) I might watch it on catch up! What I often think about with any programme involving production processes is that someone, somewhere has had to invent all this kit and caboodle in the first place. Where do the ideas come from?

Oriel Wed 02-Aug-17 09:24:25

Greg Wallace has done a whole series (think this is the second series) ranging from trainers to bikes - I found all of them really enjoyable. I was really surprised at how many of the procedures in the process are still done by hand.

Oriel Wed 02-Aug-17 09:25:54

Meant to say.... whole series following the manufacture of products in factories

Ilovecheese Wed 02-Aug-17 11:07:27

I love Inside the Factory!

Manufacturing is fascinating. I've worked in factories and the satisfaction from seeing the product (in my case clothing) loaded on the van is hugely satisfying

Imperfect27 Wed 02-Aug-17 11:08:34

We have watched a couple of the other ones, but none so engaging as this to date - it just took the biscuit! wink

Niobe Wed 02-Aug-17 12:34:26

You can catch up with a programme called "How it's Made" on YouTube. Tells you how all manner of things are made. I find it fascinating!